recovery locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recovery locations

I am going to attempt to convey the dispersal of recovery sites associated with this victim. In the image that follows, the two green balloons are land finds, and must have been placed where they were recovered. They are just over 1 mile apart, on opposing shores of the river. This is explained by several bridges in the vicinity as well as a river frontage road along the northern shore. The discrepancy in dates is allowable to my mind to random process. Given that the tide at battersea is 18 ft, the river depositions could have been made at either site, though the final distribution leads on to believe the battersea park land site was the point of deposition in the river, and that occurring post high tide which explains the remains to the east. The only operant assumption here is that all remains were deposited in a single day.
    https://goo.gl/photos/kBZmmymGsxtP89tB6
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

The two river recovery sites west of battersea park are of a shorter distance from the park than the easterly finds. This leads me to believe they have been exposed to fewer tidal cycles than the easterly finds. Temporally they are just a day apart. There is no doubt however that the area between the approach to battersea park was from the west, based on the recovery site at Shelley rented house. As you move east there is a land find on the opposing shore at battersea park. Continuing east, if you believe the recovered fetus at a tube station near Ebury bridge is from this victim, you again have to cross the river and move more than a mile and half to reach the site. Regardless of direction of travel, you would be moving on land while carrying body parts.

Comment

It looks like a great idea to map all the find locations, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I only get the very edges of the map but just a big black empty square in the middle....just me?

Comment

No Joshua you have it right, I blacked out the underlying image to let the finds stand out. I apologize for the confusion.

Comment

for Joshua

here it is with no blackout Joshua. https://goo.gl/photos/SbAWa9RB9tnZa9ia9

Comment

Many think, Pro, it certainly looks better than my old-school paper effort!

I see you have never been able to difinitively locate Newton's Wharf either. There is a Nelson's Wharf though, on the South Bank, West of Blackfriars Bridge - do you think that could be the find location?

Also, you have the left thigh found on 4th June further upstream than me, is that right? I thought it was found on the shore by Albert Bridge, at the West edge of Battersea Park.

Comment

Nicely spotted! Let me know if you find it! The modern tide at Battersea park is 18.5 feet so I don't think it makes a lick of difference until we can nail time of deposition a little better. Seriously good double check on me I am moving the pin now. Dave
              Last edited by protohistorian; 09-24-2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                Many think, Pro, it certainly looks better than my old-school paper effort!

I see you have never been able to difinitively locate Newton's Wharf either. There is a Nelson's Wharf though, on the South Bank, West of Blackfriars Bridge - do you think that could be the find location?

Also, you have the left thigh found on 4th June further upstream than me, is that right? I thought it was found on the shore by Albert Bridge, at the West edge of Battersea Park.
                Hi Joshua and PH,

The account says the parts at Newton's Wharf were found at Bankside. I've marked Bankside in red on this 1878 map. This is the only map I have found that names most of the wharves in the area. Unfortunately, Newton's Wharf is not among them. But, I have an idea one of the wharves near Bankside must be it.

Comment

Same area in the Goad series of maps (1899). Nice one Jerry D!
                  https://goo.gl/photos/ncoASL54PF6btKQZ7
                  Last edited by protohistorian; 09-24-2016, 04:52 PM. Reason: link

Comment

I've been using this map from the mid 1890s (I'm sure you put me on to it Jerry), it's got the wharf names on too;

Nelson Wharf is just off the left of your map. It's the only one I've seen that might be confused for Newton...

Comment

As far as I am concerned we call it good enough. It is the closest match in Bankside. Thanks for the map! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                        I've been using this map from the mid 1890s (I'm sure you put me on to it Jerry), it's got the wharf names on too;

Nelson Wharf is just off the left of your map. It's the only one I've seen that might be confused for Newton...
                        Thanks Joshua,

I have found a few references for Newton's draw-dock located at Bankside. In the same breath the article references Old Paris Garden, which you will find just East of Blackfriar's Bridge.

Comment

I think I have this nailed.

The Builder, Volume 46, 1884 (Page 693)

James Newton and Son's Tile Works, 78-9, Bankside, represent the Falcon Tavern at the foot of Falcon Dock.

The map I provided shows Falcon Drawing Docks very close to and east of the Blackfriar's Bridge next to Paris Gardens. This all jives with the Newton Drawing Docks references near Paris Gardens. James Newton's Tile Company probably used the docks for shipments and thus coined the name, Newton's Wharf.
                          Last edited by jerryd; 09-24-2016, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Well, there's a Falcon draw dock and wharf next to Paris Gardens. And there's also a draw dock (unnamed) next to Nelson's Wharf. Plus a Newell's Wharf just East of Tower Bridge. And a couple of unnamed one. And my eyes are going funny. Time for bed.

Comment

Must have crossed posts, Joshua. Yes, I believe Falcon Drawing Docks was aka, Newton's Wharf. (See post #13)

Comment

Working...
                              X