Casebook Forums

Casebook Forums (http://forum.casebook.org/index.php)
-   General Police Discussion (http://forum.casebook.org/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Comment from the Police Report 19th September. (http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=10469)

Elamarna 09-04-2017 07:24 AM

Comment from the Police Report 19th September.
 
While researching Bucks Row, I turned up the following statement in the Police report of the 19th September:

“Bucks Row is a narrow quiet thoroughfare frequented*by prostitutes for immoral purposes at night and no doubt the yard of 29 Hanbury Street has been used for a similar purpose.”


Is anyone aware of any sources which back this up?
Alternatively anyone care to comment?

Steve

Abby Normal 09-04-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elamarna (Post 427908)
While researching Bucks Row, I turned up the following statement in the Police report of the 19th September:

“Bucks Row is a narrow quiet thoroughfare frequented*by prostitutes for immoral purposes at night and no doubt the yard of 29 Hanbury Street has been used for a similar purpose.”


Is anyone aware of any sources which back this up?
Alternatively anyone care to comment?

Steve

Nice find el. Backs up that Polly was actively solicitating and may have come upon her punter/the ripper somewhere else and led him there.

Elamarna 09-04-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abby Normal (Post 427909)
Nice find el. Backs up that Polly was actively solicitating and may have come upon her punter/the ripper somewhere else and led him there.

yes Abby, if true it opens up several possabiities.


Steve

Herlock Sholmes 09-04-2017 08:14 AM

Interesting find Steve. I don't recall specifically where I got the impression from but I was always of the opinion that Bucks Row wasn't known as an area for soliciting? If it was just a newspaper report maybe it could be put down as a generalisation but you would assume that the police would know all the regular 'haunts?'

Elamarna 09-04-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes (Post 427912)
Interesting find Steve. I don't recall specifically where I got the impression from but I was always of the opinion that Bucks Row wasn't known as an area for soliciting? If it was just a newspaper report maybe it could be put down as a generalisation but you would assume that the police would know all the regular 'haunts?'

Well, we have residents like Mrs Green attempting to paint a picture of utter respectability, its in the section on her in the Project part 2, and this statement was in the police section.

I have to admit, I was always under the impression it was not that type of Road, but when ones considers the comments of Paul, about the area being dangerous, one starts to wonder.
I have searched all the press articles which I have posted and can find nothing to support this. However one assumes the Police would know.

The point is that being in an official report, not intended for public consumption, would the Police just include something which was gossip or speculation. it comes across as being very sure.
However I would like something more than a single source, hence the thread, I don't have currently access to the online archives of the press, am hoping others who do may be able to help.



Steve

Sam Flynn 09-04-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elamarna (Post 427908)
While researching Bucks Row, I turned up the following statement in the Police report of the 19th September:

“Bucks Row is a narrow quiet thoroughfare frequented by prostitutes for immoral purposes at night and no doubt the yard of 29 Hanbury Street has been used for a similar purpose.”

Is anyone aware of any sources which back this up?

The report was authored by Abberline himself.

Elamarna 09-04-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Flynn (Post 427917)
The report was authored by Abberline himself.

with Swanson also listed, so one assumes he looked it over

Sam Flynn 09-04-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elamarna (Post 427921)
with Swanson also listed, so one assumes he looked it over

I think pretty much everything had to go through Swanson.

MysterySinger 09-04-2017 02:52 PM

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere a while back that there were houses of ill repute (brothels) in Buck's Row. Not sure I'll remember where I saw it but will post again if I do. I've often thought that the murder of Polly had something to do with that.

Elamarna 09-04-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysterySinger (Post 427976)
I'm fairly sure I read somewhere a while back that there were houses of ill repute (brothels) in Buck's Row. Not sure I'll remember where I saw it but will post again if I do. I've often thought that the murder of Polly had something to do with that.

At the inquest one of the Jury made comments to Mrs Green suggesting there were several in Thomas Street

Steve


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.