Casebook Forums

Casebook Forums (http://forum.casebook.org/index.php)
-   Shades of Whitechapel (http://forum.casebook.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Chinese Ripper arrested (http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=9839)

Joshua Rogan 08-29-2016 08:16 AM

Chinese Ripper arrested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-37211650

Fisherman 08-29-2016 08:56 AM

This is interesting, Joshua! Here is part of the article:
An alleged serial killer, who is accused of raping and murdering 11 female victims in northern China over more than a decade, has been captured by police, say local reports.
Gao Chengyong, called China's "Jack the Ripper", was detained at a grocery store he runs with his wife.
He admitted to the killings, which took place between 1988 and 2002, according to the Ministry of Public Security.
The 52-year-old is a married father of two.
Police say Mr Gao targeted young women dressed in red and followed them home, where he would rape and kill them, often cutting their throat and mutilating their bodies.

So! A married man and a father. He starts killing at the age of 24. He stops killing at the age of 38. He cuts throats and mutilates.

Now, who does this remind me of...? Ah, I remember now. Some carman, who was 24 when the first torso murder occurred and 40 when the last torso murder went down, who was a married man and a father, who stands accused of cutting throats and mutilating.

Then again, he would never have stopped.

Abby Normal 08-29-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisherman (Post 391310)
This is interesting, Joshua! Here is part of the article:
An alleged serial killer, who is accused of raping and murdering 11 female victims in northern China over more than a decade, has been captured by police, say local reports.
Gao Chengyong, called China's "Jack the Ripper", was detained at a grocery store he runs with his wife.
He admitted to the killings, which took place between 1988 and 2002, according to the Ministry of Public Security.
The 52-year-old is a married father of two.
Police say Mr Gao targeted young women dressed in red and followed them home, where he would rape and kill them, often cutting their throat and mutilating their bodies.

So! A married man and a father. He starts killing at the age of 24. He stops killing at the age of 38. He cuts throats and mutilates.

Now, who does this remind me of...? Ah, I remember now. Some carman, who was 24 when the first torso murder occurred and 40 when the last torso murder went down, who was a married man and a father, who stands accused of cutting throats and mutilating.

Then again, he would never have stopped.

interesting parallel there Fish.

Robert 08-29-2016 02:45 PM

I see the BBC doesn't know how to use quotes.

Ginger 08-29-2016 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 391319)
I see the BBC doesn't know how to use quotes.

The BBC has been sprinkling spurious quotes throughout their headlines and articles, apparently at random, for years now.

Fisherman 08-29-2016 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abby Normal (Post 391318)
interesting parallel there Fish.

I think so - not so much because I cannot accept myself that serialists can stop or lay dormant for many a year, but many others seem to have problems taking such a thing on board.
Some even think that married family fathers are guaranteed to be pillars of society, who it is unethical to regards as potential serialists.

This Chinese guy makes for useful reasing for people with these misgivings.

Jon Guy 08-30-2016 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisherman (Post 391325)
I think so - not so much because I cannot accept myself that serialists can stop or lay dormant for many a year, but many others seem to have problems taking such a thing on board.
Some even think that married family fathers are guaranteed to be pillars of society, who it is unethical to regards as potential serialists.

This Chinese guy makes for useful reasing for people with these misgivings.

Didn't Lechmere also go on to run a store ?

Fisherman 08-30-2016 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Guy (Post 391330)
Didn't Lechmere also go on to run a store ?

Indeed he did - and it was a grocery store too. So if we can only establish that men who run grocery stores are eviscerating serialists, we´re home and dry!

The killer used to be a migrant laborer, and Asia Pacific writes:
"China’s huge population of migrant workers affords some of the country’s most notorious mass killers the cover they need to elude capture for years."

Jon Guy 08-30-2016 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisherman (Post 391338)
Indeed he did - and it was a grocery store too. So if we can only establish that men who run grocery stores are eviscerating serialists, we´re home and dry!

Thanks Christer.
Lots of background commonalities there .. age, profession, marital status ..

I will be more careful in future when I complain about the price of fags to the guy in my local shop.

Pcdunn 08-30-2016 06:46 AM

Interesting report, but the story said he killed young women dressed in red, then later mentions his youngest victim was only eight years old. Rather a broad interpretation of "women", not that it matters that much, I suppose.

Where did his hatred of women (and girls) come from? In a crime drama, they would speculate he had been abused in childhood by his mother and elder sister, who both favored the color red. Too bad real life isn't that tidy...