Casebook Forums

Casebook Forums (http://forum.casebook.org/index.php)
-   Periodicals (http://forum.casebook.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   British 19th-Century Newspapers (http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=2842)

The Grave Maurice 06-19-2009 10:17 PM

British 19th-Century Newspapers
 
The British Library now has a digital archive of more than 2 million pages from 49 national and regional newspapers published between 1800 and 1900. It can be seen here: http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/start.do

There appears to be a modest fee involved for most of us, but it also says: "The digitised nineteenth century British Library newspapers are freely available for people in UK higher and further education, in some UK public libraries, and in some institutions in other countries."

Worth checking out, I'd say.

Archaic 06-19-2009 10:22 PM

Thanks for sharing this! Archaic

Mike Covell 06-19-2009 11:49 PM

I invested in the 9.99 package and came away with over 60 new news reports on the Stephenson and Dawber families, so great result. The only downside is, they don't show you how much you have left on your credit. It just runs out leaving you thinking "Eh?":oops:

Sam Flynn 06-20-2009 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Covell (Post 91160)
I invested in the 9.99 package and came away with over 60 new news reports on the Stephenson and Dawber families, so great result. The only downside is, they don't show you how much you have left on your credit.

If you click on the "My Usage" icon (looks like a battery running down!) it pops up a window that shows you your remaining balance. I've looked at 30 pages, and have 180 credits remaining.

Many thanks to Maurice for drawing this to our attention!

Archaic 06-20-2009 05:14 AM

Hi, do any of you know if this site allows one to view the news illustrations as well, or is it only the text?

If the latter, and anyone knows where I can view news illustrations online, that info would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Archaic

Chris 06-20-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaic (Post 91193)
Hi, do any of you know if this site allows one to view the news illustrations as well, or is it only the text?

When I have used it at the British Library, it has included a scan of the whole page of the newspaper.

Mike Covell 06-20-2009 01:59 PM

The pages are actual scans of the newspapers and you can zoom in, print, or save. Some of the newspapers I viewed had a couple of illustrations but I wasn't looking for anything in any of the London newspapers, so I am not sure how they are covered.

jerrip 06-24-2010 08:32 PM

Does anyone know if you get reprints of the newspapers on newsprint?

Jer

ChrisGeorge 06-25-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaic (Post 91193)
Hi, do any of you know if this site allows one to view the news illustrations as well, or is it only the text?

If the latter, and anyone knows where I can view news illustrations online, that info would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Archaic

Hi Archaic

I think it's also true to say that there were for most of the 19th century few illustrations except in publications such as the Illustrated Police News or the Penny Illustrated. Most newspapers would just be straight text.

All the best

Chris

Rob Clack 06-25-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge (Post 138146)
Hi Archaic

I think it's also true to say that there were for most of the 19th century few illustrations except in publications such as the Illustrated Police News or the Penny Illustrated. Most newspapers would just be straight text.

All the best

Chris

Well not quite. There was:

The Pictorial News
The Pictorial World
The Weekly Dispatch
The People
The Star
The New York Herald
Lloyds Weekly News
Reynolds Newspaper

To name a few and there were other provincial papers as well.

Rob


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.