Casebook Forums

Casebook Forums (http://forum.casebook.org/index.php)
-   Scene of the Crimes (http://forum.casebook.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Tabbard Street East? (http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=10601)

The Station Cat 12-03-2017 10:38 AM

Tabbard Street East?
 
Can anyone tell me whether Tabbard Street East once was? I assume it no longer exists as I can't find it on google maps. I believe it was on or near to Mile End Road?

jerryd 12-03-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Station Cat (Post 436320)
Can anyone tell me whether Tabbard Street East once was? I assume it no longer exists as I can't find it on google maps. I believe it was on or near to Mile End Road?


SC,

The only thing close that I can find on old maps is "Tabard Street" in Southwark.

Joshua Rogan 12-03-2017 02:13 PM

I've found this handy site of old London street names

http://www.census1891.com/streets-t.php

But sadly it only has the Southwark Tabard Street that Jerry found.


Are you sure you're not looking for Tabbard Gardens East?

The Station Cat 12-04-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan (Post 436324)
I've found this handy site of old London street names

http://www.census1891.com/streets-t.php

But sadly it only has the Southwark Tabard Street that Jerry found.


Are you sure you're not looking for Tabbard Gardens East?


To be honest Josh, I'm not entirely sure?

Was Tabbard Gardens East on Mile End Road?

The Station Cat 12-04-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Station Cat (Post 436380)
To be honest Josh, I'm not entirely sure?

Was Tabbard Gardens East on Mile End Road?



Scholes of the Yard by GS Burroughs page 12 - Saturday the 29th of September in the early hours of Sunday the 30th September 1888, PC Scholes was patroling his beat in Tabbard Street East, at the wrong end of Mile End Road.

Was just curious as to where this was?

He also makes mention in a newspaper article "I was a constable on patrol duty in Mile End Road, it was a memorable night there had been a Lord Mayors show, whilst I was on duty Jack the Ripper committed two of his murders in the very street that I was."


It would appear that perhaps he is getting the night of the double event mixed up with the night of the Kelly murder? Any thoughts? I suspect that he is referring to Strides murder if he was on Mile End Road? So assume that Tabbard Street East was in St George in the East somewhere?

Joshua Rogan 12-04-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Station Cat (Post 436380)
To be honest Josh, I'm not entirely sure?

Was Tabbard Gardens East on Mile End Road?

Apologies! That was my attempt at a joke, based on the impossible-to-locate street in the Wallace murder case....it was fictional....and I'm starting to suspect this one is fictional too.

The Station Cat 12-06-2017 06:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan (Post 436398)
Apologies! That was my attempt at a joke, based on the impossible-to-locate street in the Wallace murder case....it was fictional....and I'm starting to suspect this one is fictional too.



The below newspaper article is were I'm getting it from. Seems a bit odd to make up a random street? Unless of course he's been misquoted? It does certainly appear that the Double Event and Kelly's murder are becoming confused, so perhaps street names are as well?

But having said that there can be no ambiguity about Mile End Road, that exists :scratchchin: , if he was going to make up a story why did he not just put himself in Dorest Street or something? It's not as if Scholes is rewritting history like Ben Leeson did for the Coles murder, when he claimed to be the first person to arrive on scene when he responded to Thompson's whistle.....................:shakehead:

The Station Cat 12-13-2017 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Station Cat (Post 436383)
Scholes of the Yard by GS Burroughs page 12 - Saturday the 29th of September in the early hours of Sunday the 30th September 1888, PC Scholes was patroling his beat in Tabbard Street East, at the wrong end of Mile End Road.

Was just curious as to where this was?

He also makes mention in a newspaper article "I was a constable on patrol duty in Mile End Road, it was a memorable night there had been a Lord Mayors show, whilst I was on duty Jack the Ripper committed two of his murders in the very street that I was."


It would appear that perhaps he is getting the night of the double event mixed up with the night of the Kelly murder? Any thoughts? I suspect that he is referring to Strides murder if he was on Mile End Road? So assume that Tabbard Street East was in St George in the East somewhere?






I wonder whether Tabbard Street East is in fact being confused with East Arbour Street? If he was patrolling Mile End Road, then this would suggest he was stationed at Arbour Square Station? In two different newspapers he says his beat was on Mile End Road (in one article he says at the wrong end on the night of the double event). If he was on East Arbour Street, that would put him on the wrong end of Mile End Road, but pretty much on Commercial Road (he also makes mention of it leading to the docks, which Mile End road doesn't but Commercial Road does) and very near Berner Street, hence his claim that the murder took place on the very street he was on?


Any thoughts?

The Station Cat 12-20-2017 03:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Newspaper article, where the mystery stems from...................

The Station Cat 12-20-2017 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Station Cat (Post 437488)
Newspaper article, where the mystery stems from...................



From the Kentish Mercury 3rd August 1883. This Tabard Road appears to have been in Bow, so can't be the Borough one? Bow is certainly nearer to Whitechapel? There's a Wickham Close near Stepney Green, has this been renamed from Wickham Place? Could this be where Tabard Street was??


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.