Casebook Forums

Casebook Forums (http://forum.casebook.org/index.php)
-   Letters and Communications (http://forum.casebook.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I'm not a butcher, I'm not a Yid...... (http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=10047)

Spider 12-28-2016 07:43 AM

I'm not a butcher, I'm not a Yid......

I am aware as are most on here that the following was quoted by Sir Melville Macnaghton in his memoirs, it being one of the first communications he read concerning the Ripper;

"I'm not a butcher
I'm not a Yid
Nor yet a foreign skipper
But I'm your own light-hearted friend
Yours truly
Jack the Ripper"

However I'd be interested to know the source for the 'apparent' preceding two verses that appear as follows;

"Up and down the goddamn town
policemen try to find me
But I ain't a chap yet to drown
In drink or Thames or sea.

I've no time to tell you how
I came to be a killer
But you should know, as time will show
That I'm society's pillar

Ay information welcome as I'm unable to find any pointers ;-)

DJA 12-28-2016 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider (Post 404569)
I am aware as are most on here that the following was quoted by Sir Melville Macnaghton in his memoirs, it being one of the first communications he read concerning the Ripper;

Nor yet a foreign skipper
That I'm society's pillar[/i]

Any information welcome as I'm unable to find any pointers ;-)

Perhaps Jack's father and uncle were Master Mariners.

His son in law was one of the top people at "Bedlam" and his mentor one of the Queen's doctors.

Pcdunn 12-28-2016 08:37 AM

Spider, where do the preceding verses come from? Were they also quoted by Sir Melville MacNaughten? They are certainly very interesting, with the mention of "society's pillar"-- who are, (perhaps) doctors, lawyers, bankers, governmental leaders, policemen...

DJA, while I've done little except look at your suspect's obituary, I do see that "society's pillar" would fit him very well. Don't know if this sways me more his way, but it is certainly very interesting.

Fisherman 12-28-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pcdunn (Post 404586)
Spider, where do the preceding verses come from? Were they also quoted by Sir Melville MacNaughten? They are certainly very interesting, with the mention of "society's pillar"-- who are, (perhaps) doctors, lawyers, bankers, governmental leaders, policemen...

DJA, while I've done little except look at your suspect's obituary, I do see that "society's pillar" would fit him very well. Don't know if this sways me more his way, but it is certainly very interesting.

Henry Sutton? Why would he have been the Ripper? What points to him, if anything?

Spider 12-28-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pcdunn (Post 404586)
Spider, where do the preceding verses come from? Were they also quoted by Sir Melville MacNaughten?

Where they came form is exactly what I'm asking. As far as I'm aware only the third verse was quoted by Macnaghton in his memoirs.
I came across the other two on the internet but no source was quoted.
Hopefully someone on here may shed some light and maybe some provenance.

Sam Flynn 12-28-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider (Post 404569)
However I'd be interested to know the source for the 'apparent' preceding two verses that appear as follows;

"Up and down the goddamn town
policemen try to find me
But I ain't a chap yet to drown
In drink or Thames or sea.

I've no time to tell you how
I came to be a killer
But you should know, as time will show
That I'm society's pillar

Those verses were probably made up by Donald McCormick in the late 1950s. I believe that doggerel first appears in his book The Identity of Jack the Ripper.

Pcdunn 12-28-2016 09:00 AM

Thank you, Sam Flynn. Annoying of him, if he did.

Sam Flynn 12-28-2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pcdunn (Post 404595)
Thank you, Sam Flynn. Annoying of him, if he did.

No probs, PC Dunn. If you haven't read McCormick's book yet, it's worth getting a (cheap) second-hand copy, if only for a laugh. Don't get me wrong, it's an important milestone in the literature, but scarcely reliable. Thankfully, standards in Ripper books have significantly improved since then... in some cases, anyway :)

Phil Carter 12-28-2016 09:12 AM

Spider,

Donald McCormick littered his Ripper work with invented dialogue...amongst other things. He was highly suspected of involvement of more, later on.

His books on spies are also spread with made up invention.

Phil

Sam Flynn 12-28-2016 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Carter (Post 404601)
Donald McCormick littered his Ripper work with invented dialogue...

Indeed, Phil. He took "creative writing" to a whole new level.