Stepney Union Workhouse records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stepney Union Workhouse records

I was at the London Metropolitan Archives today and I made a note of some of the Stepney Union Workhouse records that I had looked at in case anyone wants to have a check in case I‘ve missed anything.

They are:

Register of Lunatic in Asylums 18 January 1887 to 19 January 1920
    Reference: ST.BG/L/110/2 available on Microfilm # X11/086

Lunatic Reception Orders (paupers) all districts
    Reference: ST.BG/L/114 not on microfilm, you have to consult original volume. I haven't looked at this volume.

Alphabetical Register of Admission and Discharge 1883 to 1889

Reference: ST.BG/L/133/2 Available on Microfilm X111/116. Note there is no letter ‘A’ on the microfilm, whether the original is in to poor a shape to be photographed, or it was just missed by accident I don’t know.

Admission and Discharge Registers

Reference: ST.BG/L/132/39 30 Sept’ 88 to 30 Mar’ 89 Microfilm # X111/111
    Reference: ST.BG/L/132/40 31 Mar’ 88 to 5 Oct’ 89 Microfilm # X111/111
    Reference: ST.BG/L/132/41 6 Oct’ 89 to 29 Mar’ 89 Microfilm # X111/111
    Reference: ST.BG/L/132/42 30 Mar’ 89 to 4 Oct’ 90 Microfilm # X111/111
    Reference: ST.BG/L/132/43 5 Oct’ 90 to 28 Mar’ 91 Microfilm # X111/112
    Reference: ST.BG/L/132/44 29 Mar’ 91 to 3 Oct’ 91 Microfilm # X111/112
    Reference: ST.BG/L/132/45 4 Oct’ 91 to 26 March 92 Microfilm # X111/112

I’ve checked most of these that fall between the 1888 to 1891 time frame. I have had a look at the Creed Register in the past as well. I double checked the Alphabetical Register of Admission and Discharge 1883 to 1889 today, and I could find no reference to ‘Kosminski’ if he was ever in the Stepney Union Workhouse, I feel he would at least be in that book.

These references below, Scott Nelson posted on the 'Aaron or not' thread. I just reposted here for convenience. I'm don't know where they are located I'll try the LMA next time I'm there.

St.B.G./Wh/123/xx, where xx is the book/file number which normally relates to a specific year. Also,
    St.B.G./Wh/120/xx for 'Lunatics in Workhouses', and
    St.B.G./Wh/118/xx for 'Lunatics and Idiots'

And from 1891
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SW.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	669243

Rob

Good on you for taking the trouble to check these out Rob! Thanks for posting the results.

Comment

Thank you Debs.

Comment

Rob,

Is it possible that Aaron is listed under "Abrahams"? After the information Chris Philips found about the unmuzzled dog.

Vic
        Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
        Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post
          Is it possible that Aaron is listed under "Abrahams"?
          I don't believe anyone is expecting to find the name "Aaron Kosminski" or some variant thereof amongst the records of Stepney Union Workhouse, or the affiliated Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum. I would imagine that Rob and others are instead hoping to find a possible reference to some other "Kosminski".

Excepting an instance of extreme urgency; Aaron Kosminski would not have been referred to Stepney Union Workhouse having no 'Right of Settlement' in Stepney Poor Law Union:

- St. John of Wapping
          - St. Paul Shadwell
          - The Hamlet of Ratcliff
          - St. Anne Limehouse

Likewise; he would not have been referred to Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum having no 'Right of Settlement' in either Stepney Poor Law Union or Poplar Poor Law Union:

- St. John of Wapping
          - St. Paul Shadwell
          - The Hamlet of Ratcliff
          - St. Anne Limehouse

------------------------

- St. Mary Stratford Bow
          - Bromley St. Leonard
          - All Saints Poplar

Aaron Kosminski was referred specifically to Mile End Old Town Infirmary because his Sion Square and Greenfield Street addresses provided 'Right of Settlement' in The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town.

Had an application for 'Poor Relief' (i.e. admission to a Poor Law Infirmary) originated from a City of London address (e.g. Carter Lane), Aaron Kosminski would have been referred to City of London Union Infirmary, Bow Road, Bromley St. Leonard.

Is it possible that ... After the information Chris Philips found about the unmuzzled dog.
          I believe that Robert Linford uncovered that story. My apologies to Chris Phillips, if indeed it was he.

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	654404
          Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
            I believe that Robert Linford uncovered that story. My apologies to Chris Phillips, if indeed it was he.
            Quite right - it was Robert (though Stewart Evans and I found some additional reports after Robert had given us the lead).

Comment

Rob,

Is it possible that Aaron is listed under "Abrahams"? After the information Chris Philips found about the unmuzzled dog.

Vic
              Hi Victor,

I did have a look for the name 'Abrahams' but there was no suitable candidate I could see.

Rob

Comment

I had a look today at some of the other records Scott mentioned.

St.B.G./Wh/123/ are for the Whitechapel Union Infirmary in Vallance Road. The records for 19 February 1888 to 1 March 1889 are unfit for consultation. The rest are I believe are available on the Moving Here website so I didn’t have a look at them.

St.B.G./Wh/120/ are the ‘Register of Lunatics in Workhouses’ but the only records available are for 1896 onwards.

St.B.G./Wh/118/2 is ‘Register of cases in Lunatic Asylums’ from 1879 to 1899. I had no luck with this file.
                I also had a look at the City Board of Guardians Records, specifically for the City of London Workhouse, Bow Road and also for the Infirmary.

Bow Road Workhouse Admission and Discharge Register

Reference CBG 320/001 from 1889 to 1895 Microfilm # X107/001

Bow Road Infirmary Admission and Discharge Register

Reference CBG 320/002 from 1882 to 1889 Microfilm # X107/008
                Reference CBG 320/003 December 1889 to May 1899 Microfilm # X107/008

Register of Lunatics at Asylums

Reference CBG 319/001 May 1866 to February 1898

I also tried to look at ‘Orders of Admissions to Leavesden Asylum’ May 1878 to June 1897, Reference CBG 318/002, but these were unfit for consultation.

I found nothing relating to Kosminski in any of the records I looked at. I did find a Woolf Abraham aged 25 admitted to Bow Road Infirmary on 18 February 1890 with some sort of Ulcer complaint. He discharged himself two days later. This may not be Wolf Abrahams but I’ll post the section from the register.

Name:	Bow Road Infirmary Woolf Abraham CB 1.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	654729

Name:	Bow Road Infirmary Woolf Abraham CB 2.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	654730

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                  I found nothing relating to Kosminski in any of the records I looked at. I did find a Woolf Abraham aged 25 admitted to Bow Road Infirmary on 18 February 1890 with some sort of Ulcer complaint. He discharged himself two days later. This may not be Wolf Abrahams but I’ll post the section from the register.
                  Thanks for posting the details of these searches.

I think this is unlikely to be Aaron's brother Woolf Abrahams. Woolf was probably born in 1860 (for which year the register of Jewish births at Klodawa is missing), or at any rate around then. We do know that he was living at 3 Sion Square (in Mile End Old Town) a week after the date of this admission.

Comment

Thanks Chris, I thought it was unlikely and since Wolf Abrahams was at Sion Square a week later I think that would more or less confirms it.

Rob

Comment

This may have been a baker living at 186 Cable St in 1891.

Comment

Another really useful posting!
                        Martin F

Comment

The Cowkeeper

Name:	StLeonard1929C.jpg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	662183

Shop of Charles Neall, Cowkeeper at 48 St Leonard Street, Bromley pictured in 1929.
                          Stepney Workhouse is off to your left of this photo
                          Sink the Bismark

Comment

Working...
                          X