Where was White Street?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was White Street?

Does anyone know where White Street (not White's Row) was located? I can't find it on my 1891 map which lacks a street index.

The Times on 28 February 1891 reported Ellen Callana's testimony at the Inquest into Frances Coles's death:

'I left them at the bottom of Commercial-street going towards the Minories, and I went to Theobald’s lodging-house, Brick-lane. I watched them till they turned round by the publichouse into White-street.'

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bulldog

Well, I've drawn a blank. Checked out my 1873 and 1894 maps and the only thing I can find in the area is White Lion Street off Commercial Street near Hanbury Street.

It's probably staring me in the face.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

When I was doing some family history research, I had an old marriage certificate which stated the groom's address as Thomas Passage, White Street.

This White Street (the only one I can find remotely near Brick Lane) is now the northernmost part of Vallance Road, where it joins Bethnal Green Road.

Actually, it's nowhere near the Minories. Oh well, back to work.
      Last edited by John Bennett; 07-06-2008, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I looked at my little stash and followed the directions, finding Commercial Street and Brick Lane but not much from there. I put the Minories under the magnifying glass but could not see the street in question.
        Regards Mike

Comment

As far as I can tell there isn't a White Street between Commercial Street and Minories. I only know of three. The one John mentioned above. One near Moorgate and one by Harrow Alley (the Houndsditch one). The only place I can think it would be is White Swan Yard which was a dead end.

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob- There is White Kennett Street E1..tantalisingly close.. (Think that's the Houndsditch one- well obviously it is!!!)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	wk st.gif
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	654269

P'raps the Kennett was 'silent'... like the P in swimming!!!
            Last edited by Suzi; 07-06-2008, 04:51 PM.
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Perhaps it was "White Street" but over the years it has become a "darker shade of grey street"!!
              Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                Hi Rob- There is White Kennett Street E1..tantalisingly close.. (Think that's the Houndsditch one- well obviously it is!!!)
                [ATTACH]2444[/ATTACH]

P'raps the Kennett was 'silent'... like the P in swimming!!!
                Hi Suzi,

Yep, that's the same one. Going by what was reported in 'The Times' it would have to be off either Whitechapel High Street or Aldgate High Street.

Rob X

Comment

That's more than likely it I suppose...hang on will check for a pub in a White Street or whatever E1.......

Comment

This might help Suzi, from January 1887.

Name:	White Street January 1887 a.jpg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	654272

Rob X

Comment

This is a link to the Dictionary of Victorian London. On Whitbread's Map of London c.1871, you will find White Street just a block south of Dorset Street and a block north of Wentworth. Or, at least, it looks like White St. on this old map. It will be on the left hand margin of the map and intersects Commercial. Is this labelled incorrectly? I don't know, personally.

"What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Cheers Rob-
                        There's White Church St/Lane too...Hmmmmmmmmmmmm just up from the delightfully named Backchurch Lane on the road to Berner St!!

Name:	whitechurchlane.gif
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	654273
                        Last edited by Suzi; 07-06-2008, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Celesta, My 1873 map shows this street as now being "White's Row", which was also going by the same name in the 1894 map of the area.

The plot thickens.....
                          Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Celesta-
                            That is White's Row sadly not White St- These days the other side of the unspeakable Car park!

Suz x

Comment

I wondered, Mike and Suzi, if it was mislabeled, (as I thought it was Row) on the the 1871 map. I wonder if it ever was White St? The Pocket Atlas, from the Dictionary of Vict. London, shows it as Row, which is why I came back to this thread. :-) I thought maybe the witness knew it as White St.

Thank you!
                              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Working...
                              X