Where to see Sickerts work in London?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to see Sickerts work in London?

Can anyone give a list of museums/galleries that house Sickert's work permanently? Ive seen the two at Tate Britain ("The front at Hove" and also "Miss Gwen Ffrangcon-Davies as Isabella of France") - looking at their website they have a whole list of works, I was at the Tate Modern today and looked all over and couldnt find anything.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
    Last edited by AdamWalsh; 06-29-2008, 08:21 PM.

Hi Adam, I am not sure about London, but if your ever in Hull, Ferens Art Gallery has 2 on display.
    One of them is "Hotel Dieppe" but I cannot remember the name of the second.

Funnily enough it has a man with a top hat and long black coat walking whilst looking behind..........

Stranger still, it is displayed in the childrens section of the gallery!
    Regards Mike

Comment

Adam,

National Portrait Gallery (not far from the big museum National Gallery on Trafalgar Square) has a couple of portraits painted by Sickert on display and in their collection, possibly more magazined.
      I know I saw at least a couple when I visited the gallery some years ago.

All the best
      The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

It was my understanding the Tate Gallery has most of Sickert's work.
        "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
          Can anyone give a list of museums/galleries that house Sickert's work permanently? Ive seen the two at Tate Britain ("The front at Hove" and also "Miss Gwen Ffrangcon-Davies as Isabella of France") - looking at their website they have a whole list of works, I was at the Tate Modern today and looked all over and couldnt find anything.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
          If you Google "Location of works by Sickert" you'll see that his paintings are very liberally spread all over the world, including many in the USA.

Cheers,

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            If you Google "Location of works by Sickert" you'll see that his paintings are very liberally spread all over the world, including many in the USA.

Cheers,

Graham
            Well Graham - it seems being a permanent resident of the UK most Sickert works are viewable only by prior arrangement. Having visited the Tate Britain and National Portrait Gallery I have gazed upon 4 works in total.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
              Well Graham - it seems being a permanent resident of the UK most Sickert works are viewable only by prior arrangement. Having visited the Tate Britain and National Portrait Gallery I have gazed upon 4 works in total.
              Not sure I understand what you're getting at. But it does seem that most of Sickert's works have long since left the UK. However, I do know that there is one at Levens Hall in Cumbria, in the middle of nowhere, but can't tell you which one it is. Sad, because he's one of my favourite painters too.

Cheers,

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Working...
              X