The Strange Case of the Drowning in 1896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Strange Case of the Drowning in 1896

John Ruffels recently referred to some of my comments as "Mayerlings" or "Meyerlings", and I am willing to allow the use of my Board name for that purpose. And one of the longest held musings is one that I have not discussed. Pertaining possibly (and I underline that term "possibly") to Monty Druitt.

On the thread about Monty at Winchester it was pointed out that while there there was another person attending named Montague John Rendall, and the comment resulting was how uncommon that combination of names was. I don't know if it was that uncommon in the 19th Century, but I suspect it seems to us to be uncommon because of Druitt's very Victorian first name "Montague". There are few men today stuck with such a name.
    Historically, aside from our Monty, the only real ones that I know of is Montague Porch (Jennie Jerome's third and last husband) and Sir Montague Norman, for years the leader of the Bank of England. Fictionally there is, of course, there is the name of the husband of Soames' sister Winnifred in THE FORSYTE SAGA, Montague Dartie, and the name of the troop of comedians "Monty Python's Flying Circus." But it is not a great name, even if it has a sporting quality to it when shortened (as when I think of Druitt the Cricketeer, and like to call him "Monty"). But oddly enough the name now also refers to another possible historical figure, Field Marshal Sir Bernard Montgomery. If one thinks of an historical "Monty" it is the victor of El Alemein who comes up.

The name of "Montague" is originally a last name, like my own name of "Jeffrey" (as in Baron George Jeffreys of Wem). The spelling of my name as a first name was originally "Geoffrey", but we began adopting the "J" version of it as Americans simplified English in the 19th Century. It helped us "Jeffreys" that General Wolfe's right hand man in conquering Quebec was
    General Lord Jeffrey Amherst, who is the first historical person I know using
    "Jeffrey" spelled that way as a first name. Similarly my father's name "Howard" is based on the English name which many centuries back originated as the last name of the Dukes of Norfolk, and of several members of the royal family (such as "Catherine Howard").

With "Montague" (subject to correction) the nobility that used it was the First Lord of the Admiralty at the time of American Revolution, only Lord Sandwich spelled his family name as "John Montagu" without the last "e".
    I have not found any other historical figure with that name as a last or family name (again subject to future correction).

So I have to admit that while "Montague" was in more use back in the 19th
    Century, it was still a rare sounding name. It possibly had some kind of a link to family or kin than we can imagine.

Somewhere around 1986 I was looking at a book about 19th Century Writers.
    It was a reference book. I came across a biography of one Hubert Montague
    Crackenthorpe (1870 to 1896). Now that is a really killer name to be saddled with. The Montague is actually the middle name, and the "Hubert" was more popular again in the 19th Century than now. Crackenthorpe belonged to that
    generation of the Yellow Book, with Aubrey Beardsley and Ernest Dowson and
    Charles Conder, who were in the center of the literary and illustrative arts into the 1890s, but all died prematurely (usually of tuberculosis or drink). Crackenthorpe was a short story writer, who tried to bring Zola's Naturalism
    to English literature (much as Sickert tried to bring French impressionism to English painting). Some of Crackenthorpe's stories deal with prostitutes and their lives.

The interesting thing about Crackenthorpe as opposed to his other fellow
    "Yellow Book" contributors, is that he died of drowning. He died in April 1896 (as best as can be established) when he fell into the Seine river in Paris.
    Althought the river was cresting after floods (which would be the official reason posted for the death of Crackenthorpe) it appeared to be a suicide tied to the collapse of his marriage and to his affair with Richard Le Galliene's sister. That affair was also collapsing, and it is believed that Crackenthorpe killed himself in a state of despair.

Well if it was just that I suppose I could just say coincidence, but there is more involved.

Crackenthorpe's only modern biography was written by his great grand-nephew Darryll Crackenthorpe. It is a well researched biography, and even has some photographs in it. The present Darryl Crackenthorpe claims that his greath grandfather (and older brother) of Hubert Montague, also named Darryl Crackenthorpe, was loath to release any details of the suicide of Hubert Montague. Darryl I was in the diplomatic service, and it would ruin his chances for advancements for the scandal of a family suicide to come out. So the official explaniation was Hubert was drowned in a sudden flood of the Seine (or, he was possibly waylaid and murdered in Paris).

This would seem to explain everything, but the current Darryl Crackenthorpe forgot to consider another action of his great grandfather Darryl I. It seems
    that in 1897 Darryl I married a Spanish - American lady named Ena Sickles.
    Her mother was of old Spanish aristocratic stock, but Ena's father was well known too - perhaps too well known. Her father was General Daniel E. Sickles
    (1820 - 1914), best recalled for his curious fighting in the Battle of Gettysburg's Peach Orchard, which cost him his leg. General Meade deeply resented Sickles waste of himself and his men in the hard fighting there in July 1863, but Sickles opponent General James Longstreet maintained that Sickles fighting delayes an attempt to envelop the North's flank in their "fishhook" position of the battle. One of Sickles' biographers (W. A. Swanberg) said that he was the only general who almost lost and possibly almost won the battle of Gettysburg).

Sickles had a long and colorful career. He won the Congressonal Medal of Honor for his service at Gettysburg (he also made it a purpose to visit the remaining bone from his severed leg that was preserved in the Smithsonian Institution until he died). He had been in the diplomatic corps in the 1850s in England, assisting our Minister to England James Buchanan. He had been a Congressman from New York. After the Civil War he was a military governor of one of the southern states during early Reconstruction. Than General Grant had appointed him Minister to Spain in the 1870s. Rumor said that General Sickles was very close to Queen Isabella II of Spain, and he was nicknamed "the Yankee King of Spain". But his bellacose views of an incident with Spain over Cuba ("the Virginius Affair") led to his resigning his mission post as the Secretary of State, Hamilton Fish, wanted to negotiate a settlement in that matter. It was while Minister to Spain that he met Ena's mother, and later married her. By 1897 he was living in the U.S., and involved with the New York State Monument's Commission regarding the monuments at Gettysburg. He had also served another term in Congress.

Bellicose and noisy, Sickles was one of those characters that could only appear in 19th Century America. Swanberg called him "Sickles the Incredible".
    But he could have also been called "Sickles the incredibly lucky!" Because he got away with murder.

In 1859 Sickles and his first wife were living in Washington, D.C. He was a rising Democratic Congressman, and his pal James Buchanan was President.
    Provided the country did not fall apart over the slavery issue, Sickles looked forward to a splendid political career. Then he got an anonymous letter from a "friend" (one of those "friends" who cannot resist stirring up trouble), that his wife was being seen around Washington (while Sickles was in the Capital
    Building) in the company of Mr. Philip Francis Key. He was the son of Francis Scot Key, author of the "Star Spangled Banner". He was also the District Attorney of Washington, and a known letch.

Sickles was not a prude - like many men he was hypocritical about what he did with prostitutes as opposed to what he should be doing. But he was furious about his wife doing this behind his back. He started going out armed, and one day he saw Key across Jackson Square (in back of the White House). Shouting at Key (who figured what was about to happend and started fleeing) Sickles shot the D.A. down and pumped enough bullets into the man to kill him.

Sickles was put on trial, but he had many friends. His attorney was one of the sharpest minds of the American bar in 1859, Edward M. Stanton. The man who would shortly be Buchanan's last Attorney General, and Lincolns's Second Secretary of War, invented the "unwritten law" defense: that to protect a man's home one can kill the would-be adulterer. It worked for Sickles, who was acquitted. Ironically, after the trial Sickles was congradulated for defending hearth and home. But when he found his wife dying (she died by 1861) he forgave her and struggled to keep her alive. The fickle public was furious that Sickles did this good deed.

The point is, although Sickles had murdered Key in 1859, the story pursued him until his death in 1914. Usually it prevented people from getting too bellicose with the General, but it also cast him in a peculiar shade of limelight.
    And his daughter was marrying Darryl Crackenthorpe I, whom we are told did his best to hide the death of his brother as a possible suicide because it could damage his future diplomatic career. I find this an odd situation.
    To be fair, Darryl Crackenthorpe did have a good career in the British Diplomatic Service, ending up as the Ambassador to the Central American Republics. But that was a back water - wouldn't he have preferred the French embasy or the Washington embassy instead?

When I was studying the story of the death of Hubert Montague Crackenthorpe I wondered if the death of Hubert could have been concealed as a suicide for some other reason - possibly to hide an earlier suicide in the family.

For the photos I have seen of Hubert Montague Crackenthorpe and his brother Darryl I resemble (even down to the same ties) Montague John Druitt.

Interesting how ones fancies stir up some points - there may be nothing there. We actually do not know if Hubert and Darryl were related to Montague (I once asked a Ripperologist about it, but he could only recommend a geneologist to look into it).

I will only add one more point. That last name "Crackenthorpe" is an ancient Anglo-Saxon name. It is the name of the owner of a huge piece of the land
    in northern England. But the entail for that land had to be held by someone
    with the last name of Crackenthorpe. However, the family figured out a way to keep the property in the family far longer than one could imagine. If the last member of the old family died out the closest blood relation could inherit if they change their last name to "Crackenthorpe".

In January 1888 the Crackenthorpe line was coming to one of it's recurrent ends. The nearest relations were the Cooksons, led by Montague Cookson (the father of Darryl and Hubert Montague Cookson). Montague Cookson Sr.
    was a well respected legal scholar of the period. In the Times in January 1888 he announced that his family had legally changed their last name to
    Crackenthorpe. And as a result the family inherited an estate worth (conservatively in Victorian money) 15,000 pounds a year.

It was quite a piece of good fortune to occur in that year, which most people only recall for murder, horror, and a suicide.

I still wonder if the Cookson/Crackenthorpes were connected to the Druitts.

Hi Jeff

All that was very interesting. The Crackenthorpes indeed seem to have been very thin on the ground. No Druitt connection that I can see as yet, though.

One more Montague : Montague Rhodes James, Provost of Eton and (more importantly) author of some classic ghost stories, e.g. "Whistle And I'll Come To You" and "Casting The Runes" (the latter not technically a ghost story, but you get the picture).

Robert

Comment

Well, I'm not sure I quite followed all of that but there is this: Aubrey Beardsley once lived in a house neighboring Melville Macnaghten's at Warwick Square.

Perhaps Dan Sickles was JtR?

Comment

aspallek

Well, I'm not sure I quite followed all of that but there is this: Aubrey Beardsley once lived in a house neighboring Melville Macnaghten's at Warwick Square.

Perhaps Dan Sickles was JtR?

Hi Robert and Andy,

No...I don't think it would have been feasible for Sickles to be Jack - Dan was born in 1820, and while hale and hearty for a sixty eight year old man in 1888, he lacked a leg. Given the need for Jack to run from the scenes of his crimes, a one legged Jack would have been caught at once. And if it had been a Civil War General and hero, and U.S. Diplomat and Congressman, the international headlines would have been something ferocious.

Really the problem with my presenting this bit of research, or research, or fancy, or whatever you want to call it is that it really could not be told in the form I gave it in on this board. I should have written it out a bit differently, building up to a climax about Darryl Crackenthorpe's odd behavior of covering up his brother Hubert's suicide - due to career considerations - but a year later marrying the daughter of the most notorious American diplomat of the day. One can ask by 1897 how many people recalled
        Phillip Francis Key and his murder in Jackson Square, Washington D.C. four decades earlier? My answer would be plenty. Sickles was not a shrinking violet, and constantly forced his presence on the public up until his death in 1914. To believe that Darryl actually covered up Hubert's suicide to protect his own reputation from a scandal, and then in one year kicked aside all prudence to marry Ena Sickles even though many people in "good society" had little time for her "colorful" dad makes absolutely no sense to me. Oh, one can say, "love conquers all!", but besides the love of a woman is the love of a sibling, and to ignore or hide the hurt that deprived a sibling of his desire to live seems pretty cold to me.

Of course, what if the real secret was not Hubert's suicide per se, but his use of that particular form of suicide - drowning in a major city's river? Suppose Darryl and his parents were aware of a relative who had done the same thing, oh eight years before - one around whom rumors were circulated
        of a sinister nature. Somehow the Cookson - Crackenthorpes had not been linked to this earlier event at all, but it might be noted (especially as Hubert looked like the earlier suicide). Fortunately Hubert died in Paris, and one could possibly say it was an accident due to heavy street flooding from the Seine, or even murder by a gang of street robbers. But if someone looked at
        Hubert closely, and saw that earlier face - and then recalled that in his writing stories in the form of the "Naturalism" Hubert enjoyed talking about the lives of prostitutes, old rumors might revife..and be probed.

As you can see there is a lot of stretching here - I really would like someone to do a study of the Cookson - Crackenthorpe family and whether it ever mingled it's genetics with a Dorset family named Druitt. In the end it may not
        bring us closer to who was responsible for that Autumn of Terror, but it may illustrate the strength of those rumors (provided there is a connection).

Robert -

I loved M.R.James weird ghost stories. My favorite was called (I believe) THE MEZZOTINT, about a really rare old print and how it keeps changing it's scene while telling a tragic and mysterious story.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I have a Crackenthorpe/Hammersmith link for you, but I'm afraid it's not a particularly useful one.

A Fanny Crackenthorpe started at my school circa 1970 - Godolphin & Latymer, Iffley Road, Hammersmith. I think she would have been about twelve or thirteen when I left in 1971.

However, the only connection I had with Hammersmith before going to school there from the age of eleven is that I happened to be born there, in Queen Charlotte's Hospital. Apart from that I was a South West Londoner through and through, so Fanny's family could similarly have come from virtually anywhere in or around London. Most of my fellow pupils were lucky enough to live a great deal closer to school than I did though.

Love,

Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            Hi Jeff

All that was very interesting. The Crackenthorpes indeed seem to have been very thin on the ground. No Druitt connection that I can see as yet, though.

One more Montague : Montague Rhodes James, Provost of Eton and (more importantly) author of some classic ghost stories, e.g. "Whistle And I'll Come To You" and "Casting The Runes" (the latter not technically a ghost story, but you get the picture).

Robert
            Hi Jeff and Robert

Another important Montague or Montagu involved in "the case" is the Jewish Member of Parliament for Whitechael Tower Hamlets, Sir Samuel Montagu (1832-1911), later created first Lord Swaythling. As I chronicled in an article in Ripperologist No. 53, May 2004, he was originally from Liverpool and part of the Samuel jewellery and banking family. He reversed the order of his name. He was originally baptised Montagu Samuel.

Chris
            Christopher T. George
            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
              Hi Jeff,

I have a Crackenthorpe/Hammersmith link for you, but I'm afraid it's not a particularly useful one.

A Fanny Crackenthorpe started at my school circa 1970 - Godolphin & Latymer, Iffley Road, Hammersmith. I think she would have been about twelve or thirteen when I left in 1971.

However, the only connection I had with Hammersmith before going to school there from the age of eleven is that I happened to be born there, in Queen Charlotte's Hospital. Apart from that I was a South West Londoner through and through, so Fanny's family could similarly have come from virtually anywhere in or around London. Most of my fellow pupils were lucky enough to live a great deal closer to school than I did though.

Love,

Caz
              X
              Hi Caz,

Thanks for the modern connection, but I'm looking for a 19th Century connection. And really, as Hubert Montague Crackenthorpe was Hubert Montague Cookson up until January 1888 that is the name that I would hope is somehow connected to Druitt, not Crackenthorpe. Hopefully something might turn up.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                Hi Jeff and Robert

Another important Montague or Montagu involved in "the case" is the Jewish Member of Parliament for Whitechael Tower Hamlets, Sir Samuel Montagu (1832-1911), later created first Lord Swaythling. As I chronicled in an article in Ripperologist No. 53, May 2004, he was originally from Liverpool and part of the Samuel jewellery and banking family. He reversed the order of his name. He was originally baptised Montagu Samuel.

Chris
                Hi Chri,

Ironically you reminded me of a fictional "Montague" when you mentioned Sir Samuel Montague switched his name around from Montague Samuel. In Dickens' novel Martin Chuzzlewitt a small town chistler named Tigg Montague becomes a big-time financial fraud named Montague Tigg.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

Crackenthorpes Everywhere..

Hello Jeff,
                  Another interesting Mayerling! I think given the difficulty we all have in finding proof to nail our suspects, it will very likely, be your Mayerlings which will produce the clincher clue -from some unexpected quarter.
                  I too went to school, in country New South Wales, with a brace of Crackenthorpe girls. And what crackers of good lookers they were too.
                  No Druitts nor Cooksons though.
                  Your two posts above seem to given us the full Monty. Thanks Jeff.Keep 'em coming. JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                    Hi Chri,

Ironically you reminded me of a fictional "Montague" when you mentioned Sir Samuel Montague switched his name around from Montague Samuel. In Dickens' novel Martin Chuzzlewitt a small town chistler named Tigg Montague becomes a big-time financial fraud named Montague Tigg.

Best wishes,

Jeff
                    Hi Jeff

Thanks for that. Of course the remarkable and memorable quality of the names of the characters Dickens deploys throughout his work is one of the most distinctive features of his writing.

Because Charles Dickens was an acutely aware man living and writing in the Victorian period, and since also he worked worked for a short period as a special police constable in Liverpool, I would not be surprised if he knew of Liverpool-born Montagu Samuel's name switch to Samuel Montagu and his later fame as a banker in London (though not as a politician since Dickens died in 1870 before the banker's election to Parliament). Although the Dickens character's name change you mention could not have been inspired by the banker and politician's name change since Martin Chuzzlewit was serialized in 1843-1844 when the Liverpool man was in his early teenage years and then unknown on the national stage. Not that you were making that claim of course.

Incidentally, the names that Dickens gave to a number of his ten children are remarkable as well. A number of them received names in honor of fellow writers, so thus you had, among others, Walter Landor Dickens, Alfred D'Orsay Tennyson Dickens, (Sir) Henry Fielding Dickens, and Edward Bulwer Lytton Dickens.

Chris
                    Christopher T. George
                    Editor, Ripperologist
                    http://www.ripperologist.biz
                    http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net

Comment

Originally posted by Chris George View Post
                      Hi Jeff

Thanks for that. Of course the remarkable and memorable quality of the names of the characters Dickens deploys throughout his work is one of the most distinctive features of his writing.

Because Charles Dickens was an acutely aware man living and writing in the Victorian period, and since also he worked worked for a short period as a special police constable in Liverpool, I would not be surprised if he knew of Liverpool-born Montagu Samuel's name switch to Samuel Montagu and his later fame as a banker in London (though not as a politician since Dickens died in 1870 before the banker's election to Parliament). Although the Dickens character's name change you mention could not have been inspired by the banker and politician's name change since Martin Chuzzlewit was serialized in 1843-1844 when the Liverpool man was in his early teenage years and then unknown on the national stage. Not that you were making that claim of course.

Incidentally, the names that Dickens gave to a number of his ten children are remarkable as well. A number of them received names in honor of fellow writers, so thus you had, among others, Walter Landor Dickens, Alfred D'Orsay Tennyson Dickens, (Sir) Henry Fielding Dickens, and Edward Bulwer Lytton Dickens.

Chris
                      Hi Chris,

I don't - we can take this all over the place. First there is the fact that in MARTIN CHUZZLEWIT, the murder in a forest of Montague Tigg by Jonas
                      Chuzzlewit, has been studied by Dickensian Scholars who feel Boz was
                      basing it on the murder of William Weare by John Thurtell (although I have never quite understood that connection - it has to do with details in the sequence).

Dickens was a keen observer of true crime, and other figures been seen to resemble real killers. The most notable are Julius Slinkton, the insurance murderer, in HUNTED DOWN, who may be based on Thomas Griffith Wainewright and William Palmer, and Madame Hortense (in BLEAK HOUSE) who is based on Maria Manning (whose execution Dickens attended and wrote about). The character of Mr. Merdle the financial swindler in LITTLE DORRIT was based on James Sadleir, a member of Parliament who was a director of the Tipperarary Bank, which he defrauded - he (like Merdle) committed suicide when the game was up. I have also read that the trial of Charles Darney for espionage at the start of A TALE OF TWO CITIES was based on an actual trial of a French Spy in 1780.

His son Sir Henry Fielding Dickens was a very prominent barrister, who is best recalled for his spirited (and successful) defense of Kitty Byron, who stabbed her former lover to death during the Lord Mayor's Day Parade in 1905. Kitty
                      ended with a relatively light prison sentence for the killing, rather than life imprisonment or the gallows. Conan Doyle apparently was impressed by the trial and relatively light punishment. When he wrote his short story THE ADVENTURE OF THE ILLUSTRIOUS CLIENT (1921 when published), the villain, Baron Gruner, is about to injure Holmes when a woman's hand flings vitriol into Grurner's face, scarring his handsome visage for life. The woman is a discarded lover named Kitty Winter, who Holmes later gets the court to deal relatively leniently with.

At least Dickens did not name his son Walter Savage Landor Dickens. Walter
                      Landor Dickens was sufficient.

Wasn't the novelist Monica Dickens a granddaughter or great granddaughter of Charles?

Best Wishes,

Jeff Bloomfield

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr View Post
                        Hello Jeff,
                        Another interesting Mayerling! I think given the difficulty we all have in finding proof to nail our suspects, it will very likely, be your Mayerlings which will produce the clincher clue -from some unexpected quarter.
                        I too went to school, in country New South Wales, with a brace of Crackenthorpe girls. And what crackers of good lookers they were too.
                        No Druitts nor Cooksons though.
                        Your two posts above seem to given us the full Monty. Thanks Jeff.Keep 'em coming. JOHN RUFFELS.
                        I'll see what more I can turn up, but I wish some of the readers with some extra time on their hands would just see if there was a Cookson - Druitt Family connection. That seems more important than anything at this point.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                        X