Police Hierarchy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Hierarchy

Can anyone tell me the hierarchy of the Metropolitan Police in 1888? Who reported to Sir Charles Warren and Dr. Robert Anderson? Where did the CID fit in? What role did the Home Office play in the Ripper investigation? Did the HO direct the investigation or merely receive periodic updates? Who had the right/obligation to provide such information to the Home Secretary? To whom did Inspector Abberline report? To whom did Superintendent Arnold report? Where did the police commissioner (Monro) fit into this scheme? Thanks to anyone who can help me get this sorted.

Hi Barrister,

Here ya go.

SCOTLAND YARD HIERARCHY HAZELL ANNUAL 1887

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCOTLAND YARD HIERARCHY HAZELL ANNUAL 1887.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	665941

Regards,

Simon
    Last edited by Simon Wood; 02-09-2015, 02:37 PM. Reason: spolling mistook
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thanks for the fastest and most efficient response I have ever received. Do you know where Special Branch fit into this scheme?

Comment

I'll have a crack at this filling in the individuals concerned. To do it properly would take more time that I currently have available and I should say that the best person to do this is Monty but he will probably tell you to buy his book so I'll have a crack based on my own knowledge from the documents without even opening his book to check things.

As of 1 August 1888, Sir Charles Warren was the Commissioner and he reported directly to the Home Office. As Simon's extract has mentioned, he was assisted by three Assistant Commissioners who all had their own responsibilities and led three separate departments. Alexander Carmichael Bruce was the Assistant Commissioner at 'A' Department (A.C.A.) which included the Executive Branch (i.e. administration etc). Lieutenant-Colonel Richard Lyons Otway Pearson was the Assistant Commissioner at 'B' Department (A.C.B.). I think that 'B' Department at the time was responsible for discipline in the force. The third Assistant Commissioner was James Monro in charge of 'C' Department, which was crime (i.e. the Criminal Investigation Department). He was the A.C.C. (Within 'C' Department was Special Branch.)

All three Assistant Commissioners reported directly to Sir Charles Warren. I believe there was a dispute between Sir Charles and James Monro about Monro communicating directly with the Home Office which Sir Charles, a military man, big on hierarchy, did not like.

When one Assistant Commissioner was on holiday, or otherwise unavailable, another would deputise for him. James Monro resigned in mid-August (officially departing on 31 August) to be replaced by Robert Anderson but Anderson went on a long holiday on 8 September so during most of August and September the acting A.C.C. was Alexander Carmichael Bruce.

On matters of crime, Inspector Abberline would report in writing, ultimately, to the A.C.C. via a superintendent. In his role as a Central Officer at Scotland Yard that would be Superintendent Shore but when writing reports from H Division - to where he was sent to assist in the investigation - that would be Superintendent Arnold (although for some periods Arnold was on holiday and Supt West was the acting Superintendent for H Division). However, I have written at length about a new procedure in 1888 for the submission of written reports via the Executive in other threads and I won't bore the board again with this now. But otherwise the reporting structure within the C.I.D. was Inspector Abberline to Chief Inspector Swanson to Superintendent Shore.

The Superintendents, such as Arnold, reported to the Chief Constable in charge of their district (also known as the District Superintendent). The Chief Constable for District 1 which included H Division at the time was Lieutenant Colonel Monsell. I would have to do a little bit of checking to see whether Monsell reported directly to the Commissioner or (more likely) to one of the Assistant Commissioners and, if so, which one.

Within the C.I.D. the Chief Constable was Adolphus Frederick Williamson who definitely reported to the A.C.C. (and was also his confidential assistant). Superintendent Shore reported to Williamson.

Now, having set that out, in the Ripper investigation, due to its public importance, Chief Inspector Swanson was given a special role by Sir Charles in leading that investigation and, in doing so, he was tasked with writing reports for the Home Office setting out the facts of all the murders (but he did not report to them as such as that was the Commissioner's job). This was basically to keep the Home Office informed of the progress of the investigation.

You also asked about James Monro. As stated above, he was the A.C.C. until 31 August 1888 but then, after Sir Charles Warren resigned as Commissioner at the end of November and formally on 1 December, Monro replaced him as Commissioner. That means that Monro was not in the police between in the September to November period but he was advising the Home Office during that time, much to the annoyance of Sir Charles.

I hope I've summarised that correctly for you and I'm sure that others, such as Monty, will correct any errors or fill in the gaps.

Comment

Simon and you posts cover it very well for me David.

Just a few points of clarity.

Pearson's Dept covered Uniformed branch, recruitment, training, directives, discipline (as you say), and so on.

Special Branch came under Monro, however as that was imperially funded, by the Home Office, Monro would report directly to the Home Secretary when it came to that aspect of his job. In his CID role he would report to Warren.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thank you Monty for a very helpful post, as ever, clarifying the position.

Comment

No woriries David,

PS, the other district Chief Constables were AC Howard (No 2 district), Lt-Col Roberts (No 3 district) and Major W E Gilbert (No 4 district), with Williamson CID as mentioned.

Assistant Chief Constables were Captain Knollys (Education) and Captain Dean (Horse patrols)

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
              X