Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Phoenix Park knives

Hamilton Williams and the knives
    Some of this has probably already been mentioned by others but anyway, there has been a theory for a while that the knives used by the Phoenix Park assassins turned up again in the Ripper case.

It has been argued (notably by Nick Warren) that Francis Tumblety and Hamilton Williams, the man who imported the Phoenix Park knives are the same person. The Phoenix Park knives and the Jack the Ripper knives were both manufactured at John Weiss and Son, 287 Oxford Street (Warren 1999: 382). The reviewer in Ripperologist of M: MI5's FIRST SPYMASTER points that the Demerara, British Guyana connection makes it unlikely (2005: 45). In addition the fact that we know that he served in the British Army, was educated in Trinity College, was a notorious dynamitard, was touted in the press as O'Donovan Rossa's successor and died in 1896 pretty much proves that he was not Tumblety.

While it looks very unlikely that Dr. Williams was Tumblety under an alias, the knives remain an important link. Until you look at the facts about the Phoenix Park murder knives. They were chosen as the weapons for committing the murders by Patrick Carey. P.J. Sheridan posing as a Father Murphy agreed to arrange the procurement of the knives and Captain McCafferty suggested wrapping cord around the handles to allow for a better grip. It was decided that Frank Byrne would collect them and he arranged for Williams to help. Williams bought the knives from Weiss under the pretence that he was going to serve in the colonies again. The knives were temporarily left with an old Fenian named Morris Collins, so that the sheaths could be made. After this they were kept Byrne in his Westminster office until his wife who was seven months pregnant at the time transported them to Dublin, and they were then distributed.

Immediately after the murders both the authorities and the terrorists were in disarray, there was a widespread belief the weapons were bowie knives and this meant that the main suspects were Americans and the Liffey was dredged for the knives. The Invincibles in the mean time panicked and the knives "were broken up into little pieces and burnt" (Corfe 1968: 200). The only knives to survive were found in Carey's loft at South Cumberland Street by his lodger John Fitzsimons. Shortly before the murders an Invincible named Larry Rinkell, who was also another lodger, left the two knives and a rifle after the Invincibles had suffered a number of setbacks . These knives became a key exhibit in the prosecution of the Invincibles. If the knives were destroyed then clearly they could not have reappeared in 1888 and therefore the Jack the Ripper knife and the Phoenix Park knives cannot be related unless by coincedence or the transposition of one murder narrative onto artifacts connected to another.
    Last edited by truebluedub; 06-13-2008, 07:50 PM.

But I understood not all the knives were found-only a handful were after dredging the river in Dublin!

Comment

Tom Corfe relying on details which emerged during the trial wrote that the knives were destroyed, other than those presented at the trial. He also says that no knives were found when the Liffey was dredged (198).

kind regards
      Chris Lowe
      Last edited by truebluedub; 06-13-2008, 09:47 PM. Reason: references i swear i am as bad as my students

Comment

Originally posted by truebluedub View Post
        Tom Corfe relying on details which emerged during the trial wrote that the knives were destroyed, other than those presented at the trial. He also says that no knives were found when the Liffey was dredged (198).

kind regards
        Chris Lowe
        Then at least we now know Chris.But is it certain that the identity of the Doctor who bought the knives in London is known?

Comment

One question: are you sure that Dr. Williams died in 1896? If so, where did this information come from?

One observation: Sir Basil Thomson, Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, CID, writing in 1935 seemed convinced that the Ripper used a surgical knife. Food for thought.

Wolf.

Comment

Hi Wolf,
            I'm fairly sure. I got the date of death from a biography of O'Donovan Rossa which says that he lost four friends by April 1896, (the previous date mentioned in the book was 3 August 1895 so Williams' death may have been 1895). Aside from Williams the listed men are: Thomas Byrnes, Andrew Maguire and P.J. Kenedy. I have assumed the term lost means they died. However, double checking it after having read your post, it could mean he lost them as in was no longer friends with these friends.
            The book is in Irish and is called Ó Donnabháin Rosa by S. Ó Lúing, published 1969. My own Irish is not that great so if you find someone with a good level of Irish they should be able to double check.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rossa 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	654082
            Click image for larger version

Name:	rossa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	654081

regards
            Chris Lowe

Comment

Hi Chris.

Some time ago I did work on Dr. Williams because of an article I was writing on Tumblety and Fenianism.

He was born in County Waterford, Ireland, sometime around 1850 (his age varies in several sources). He was a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin, and also Queen’s University, Belfast, where he studied Law. He was in the British army at some point. He came to the US in about 1871 where he met and married his wife, Ellen. The couple had 7 children, one son, Bertram, born 1883, was the Godson of Patrick J. P. Tynan, the so called “Number One” of the Irish Invincibles (Bertram Williams would later work for the New York Heath Department as an Inspector for many years). The family lived mostly in various locations in New York and Brooklyn and the doctor had an office at 403 Manhattan Avenue, Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Not only was Dr. Williams a noted Fenian and involved in Irish National politics he was also very active in Republican Party politics but later in life became a supporter of Tammany Hall, New York’s infamous Democratic Party machine. In 1896 Dr. Williams joined the Coroner’s Office of New York City as a Coroner’s physician. He resigned from this post in 1902 (a newspaper illustration of him appeared that year in the New York World). He retired from active practice around 1906 and lived quietly with his wife at number 20 Lincoln Avenue, Rosebank, New York. He and his wife, Ellen, died sometime in the 1920’s.

Wolf.

Comment

I stand corrected

Thanks, honest mistake on my part.

regards
                Chris

Comment

Hi Chris.

I only asked the question because I originally wondered if there might not have been two men named Dr. Hamilton Williams. Dr. Williams was heavily involved in Republican Party politics while Dr. Williams was a supporter of Tammany Hall. Also, in 1900 Dr. Hamilton Williams was reportedly 60 years old while, according to the 1910 U.S. Census, Dr. Hamilton Williams was 61 years old. I quickly realized, however, that they were one and the same man and your basic transcription error accounted for the different ages.

Your point is well taken. There was a Dr. Hamilton Williams who had close ties with the Fenian Brotherhood and the Irish Invincibles and who was well known in New York’s Irish Nationalist circles. He was not a persona or alias made up by Francis Tumblety.

Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
                    He resigned from this post in 1902 (a newspaper illustration of him appeared that year in the New York World)
                    He 'resigned' in the same way that Police Chief Thomas Byrnes 'resigned'... in order to avoid a criminal investigation. As a coroner, Williams was widely suspected of corruption.

Comment

Working...
                    X