PDA

View Full Version : Rippercast Episode 60- Current Events and the Conference in Salisbury

jmenges
11-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Hi all,

I see that there is a new Rippercast available!

Thank you to Ally Ryder for being at the controls of Episode 60 (or 61, but who's counting)- Current Events and the Conference in Salisbury. With host Ally Ryder, Jon Rees, Trevor Bond, Mark Ripper, Neil Bell and myself, Jonathan Menges.

Available for FREE to stream or download in the Ripper Podcast section and in iTunes.

Thanks for listening!

:operator:

JM

Hunter
11-25-2014, 06:03 AM
Fine podcast guys. enjoyed it.

I thought Trevor Bond made some salient points regarding the Salisbury event and the Edwards controversy from the perspective of one of the participants. Ally did, as well, from those of us on the outside looking in so to speak. And it was good the hear Jon Rees.

The discussion about Ripperology in general as it relates to the shawl controversy and public perceptions may even deserve another stand alone podcast.

It was also good to hear about the other topics discussed at the convention and certainly Neil's recently published book. One of these days, the Mayflower will deliver it to this side of the pond.

If I had a criticism of sorts, it might be to introduce each speaker and let them talk so listeners could get familiar with their voice - especially when several are involved.

And always remember the sage advice given at the end, "Don't be a dick." lol.

jmenges
11-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the review, Hunter. Glad you enjoyed it. It was very spur of the moment and so I'm sure we're all pleased it was at least passibly interesting.

And for what it's worth, I had a hard time following who was saying what (with the exception of Mark Ripper, who was on video) so your complaint is noted and we'll be more carefull remembering to have the speakers at least introduce themselves before they make their first comments.

WON'T WE ALLY?

JM

Monty
11-25-2014, 11:47 AM
Thought we agreed not to, for legal reasons.

Monty
:)

Ally
11-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Yeah we can't have it too easy to identify who's being libelous! No, that's a good point and I'll keep it in mind for the next one I do.

GUT
11-25-2014, 02:49 PM
And can you all stop using the funny accents, makes it hard for a poor little Aussie [where we have no accents] to understand.:lol: :anxious:

bigjon
11-25-2014, 04:01 PM
(with the exception of Mark Ripper, who was on video)

I think the next podcast should come with a video feed of Mark sitting in his flat.

Rob Clack
11-25-2014, 04:03 PM
If you do video ones in the future better not ask me then. I am usually just in my undies.

And I have to say Ally sounded as sexy as ever. Probably another reason not to ask me.

Monty
11-25-2014, 04:41 PM
And I have to say Ally sounded as sexy as ever. Probably another reason not to ask me.

Erm, that was me Dude.

Monty

Rob Clack
11-25-2014, 04:45 PM
I was wondering why she spoke with a midland accent.

Monty
11-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Yeah, we share the same drawl, y'all.

Monty

Tom_Wescott
11-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Next time, Big Jon should let others get a word in edgewise.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Who's Debra Arif?

Rob Clack
11-26-2014, 04:19 AM
Who's Tom Wescott?

Rob

Debra A
11-26-2014, 07:22 AM
P.S. Who's Debra Arif?

You won't remember her, I think she retired. Her credibility took a nosedive when people thought she agreed with the conclusions in Tim Prescott's book. :)

Debra A
11-26-2014, 07:24 AM
I enjoyed the podcast. Well done Ally and the boys- great job.

Scott Nelson
11-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Were the plans for my Lifetime Achievement Award discussed?

Tom_Wescott
11-26-2014, 09:22 AM
You won't remember her, I think she retired. Her credibility took a nosedive when people thought she agreed with the conclusions in Tim Prescott's book. :)

Isn't that the book where John McCarthy makes Pearly Poll give the victims abortions or something like that? I don't buy into that conspiracy crap and besides someone said it doesn't have an index. Shame you've gotten yourself involved with such projects, Deborah. Your fenian boxer theory held such promise.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

PaulB
11-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Mentioning the Lifetime Achievement Award, it was very well deserved, but congrats to WS1888 for producing such a handsome award.

Hunter
11-26-2014, 11:30 AM

Classic!

Love ya Debs and your love for historical research that we all benefit from.

Hunter
11-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Mentioning the Lifetime Achievement Award, it was very well deserved, but congrats to WS1888 for producing such a handsome award.

And the REAL charitable contributions that the WS have been involved with.

Steadmund Brand
11-26-2014, 01:11 PM
thank you again for another amazing Ripeprcast!!

Great job everyone!!

Steadmund Brand

Scott Nelson
11-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Shame you've gotten yourself involved with such projects, Deborah.

You misspelled "Debra." Watch it.

Tom_Wescott
11-26-2014, 04:29 PM
You misspelled "Debra." Watch it.

No I didn't. I'm referring to Covell and I have the correct spelling.

Yours truly,

Tim Prescott

tji
11-27-2014, 05:59 AM
Great podcast guys - I enjoyed it and thanks for the kind words.

Just to clarify, my surname does seem to be an awkward one for people to pronounce but you were correct Ally (and I think Mark?) it is pronounced as 'eye anson' a little pause, not all together like Ianson.

Not sure why we have the apostrophe, it is something I would want to look into more indepth but never managed to do so yet.

Tracy

Harry D
11-27-2014, 01:54 PM
One of my favourite Rippercasts is Ep 51 - The Blind Man's Bluff. There's a moment where Ally & Martin Fido just start chuckling their heads off, I assume to something typed over Skype, and Jonathan's all 'wtf?'

serya
12-05-2014, 11:58 PM
I was thrilled to see new Rippercasts up after a long hiatus. I've listened to them all and really appreciate the thoughtful discussion along with the good humor. It is great to connect the names to the personalities. Thanks everyone!

jmenges
12-06-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the compliment, Serya. They're fun and informative for me, too.

JM

serya
12-08-2014, 02:19 AM
I've also always enjoyed your excellent selfless hosting, Jonathan. You do a great job of staying out of the way of a good discussion while instinctively knowing when to clarify topics as they arise during the twists and turns of the roundtable chats. You seem to know exactly the right time to step in with the quick historical context or summary so us non-experts do not lose the thread and become lost while listening.

Monty
12-08-2014, 03:05 AM
I've also always enjoyed your excellent selfless hosting, Jonathan. You do a great job of staying out of the way of a good discussion while instinctively knowing when to clarify topics as they arise during the twists and turns of the roundtable chats. You seem to know exactly the right time to step in with the quick historical context or summary so us non-experts do not lose the thread and become lost while listening.

I second that. Jon has an amazing instinct on when to interject, and when to let it flow, and coupled with his fairly wide knowledge on the true crime genre, is able to, as you say Serya, put discussions into context.

I think the balance of Jons abilities, and Allys astuteness, along with the quality of guest, gives the Podcasts a unique feel and makes them extremely valuable to the field.

Monty

robhouse
12-08-2014, 07:35 AM
It was nice to get such a glowing compliment from Trevor Bond in this episode.

Rob H

Livia
12-08-2014, 04:36 PM

This site needs a "LMAO" button.

jmenges
12-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Hey serya and Monty,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'll of course retreat to my time honored...If it were not for all of those many people who know a hell of a lot more about the case than I do agreeing to spend their free time discussing it on the record, there would never have been a podcast. I do my best to present them, but the real stars of show are the guests.

Unless Ally is on, and then she is the star.

;)

All the best.

JM

serya
12-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Ally is indeed a star. I would probably buy pay-per-view of her and Trevor Marriott in a cage match discussion of any random piece of fabric. She's awesome. :happy:

Tom_Wescott
12-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Ally is indeed a star. I would probably buy pay-per-view of her and Trevor Marriott in a cage match discussion of any random piece of fabric. She's awesome. :happy:

Wow, so there's still one person willing to pay money for something with Trevor M's name on it? :)

Yours truly,

Tim Prescott
Destroyer of Reputations

sepiae
01-07-2015, 02:00 AM
That really was an enjoyable one. Perhaps I was starved as well, anyway: brilliant.

Ally and Jonathan should continue alternating, would take some workload off J.'s shoulder's and could thus result in more pods [?], and Ally did a superb job.

Incidentally, I'm sure this has been tackled somewhere in the various 'shawlgate'-threads, but what's Mr. Edwards' idea - to neglect the mitochondrial issue for a moment, and, uhm, others - about how the semen got on Kate's shawl/sari/whatever in the 1st place, if indeed Kosminski was the one leaving it there? I'm asking because it's this really big hit debate subject: the timing. The baffle about the perp having accomplished everything he did within this really short - established - time, even if we're generous about kidneys;
am I now to understand that he also found time to...

My respect also for the panel's good will regarding the Edwards' team hesitation efforts, but waiting for them to answer the key-question... - one would think that a conference like this is just the place.
I'd like to know about Dr. Louhelainen and what he's about to do - doing it once, before a repeat, then a repeat by others, and foremost all this secrecy, that's not how proper science is usually done. Regardless the method and its value.

Shining Ally-moments:

'We were all outsiders to the field at some point.'

'I have an 'unreasoning' dislike of the woman...'

'You're so very British in this lead-up, just get to it, man, be an American, get to it.'

'I'm in America, what's a newspaper?'

'It's the Bs, the Bs get me all the time.'

and, in response to the proposed 'prize':

'I'm out!'

sepiae
01-09-2015, 01:34 AM
Ally is indeed a star.

Only by day. At dusk she turns into...

http://oi59.tinypic.com/wqy7pt.jpg

Ally
01-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Wow, that captures my essence perfectly. Especially the abs. Those are exactly right. Minor niggle: my alter ego is Queen Mean, Ego Annihilator. Tsk.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments, they are much appreciated. Hopefully we'll be back soon with another podcast now that the holidays are over.

sepiae
01-10-2015, 12:53 AM
Wow, that captures my essence perfectly. Especially the abs. Those are exactly right. Minor niggle: my alter ego is Queen Mean, Ego Annihilator. Tsk.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments, they are much appreciated. Hopefully we'll be back soon with another podcast now that the holidays are over.

Uh, this foreign cuttlefish's mental dictionary is apparently incomplete, so it can only deduce the meaning of 'abs' from context.
Otherwise submarine search engines are, as always, of help:

abs:
Australian Bureau of Statistics [hum..., no, doesn't make sense]
Anti-lock braking system [nope. or actually...]
Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene [for a second there I was positive. (C8H8)x (C4H6)y(C3H3N)z). 'Especially the abs. Those are exactly right'. See?]
American Bureau of Shipping [absolutely not]
Then there's also ABS Airbags, but...

I'll work on a Queen Mean, Annihilator of Ego, Destroyer of Self-Esteem, Conqueror of Pride-image.
Gee.

Chris
01-10-2015, 01:10 AM
Uh, this foreign cuttlefish's mental dictionary is apparently incomplete, so it can only deduce the meaning of 'abs' from context.
Otherwise submarine search engines are, as always, of help:

Try a Google image search.

sepiae
01-10-2015, 01:29 AM
Try a Google image search.

Yuh, thanks Chris :)

Yeah, it's a vigilante super-heroine's nightly work-out...

jmenges
01-10-2015, 06:45 AM
Only by day. At dusk she turns into...

Oh lord, what have I done?

JM

sepiae
01-12-2015, 02:32 AM
Oh lord, what have I done?

JM

Yees...
Yes, what indeed?

It's not you on the leash [left]. It's Trevor Marriott...

jmenges
01-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Yes, yes.

All in good fun, I understand.

Though sorry I cannot endorse such images. Guests take time out of their busy day to appear to answer questions on the podcast (Trevor particularly was a good sport in that regard) and I am grateful for that.

JM

sepiae
01-14-2015, 01:25 AM
Yes, yes.

All in good fun, I understand.

Though sorry I cannot endorse such images. Guests take time out of their busy day to appear to answer questions on the podcast (Trevor particularly was a good sport in that regard) and I am grateful for that.

JM

I regret that you see it this way, and apologize, both to you and anyone who might feel offended. A joke that includes a person might be understood as going on the respective person's expense. It certainly goes so with an open ridiculing - this wasn't meant this way, the lower half more as a comment on Ally's bold and honest relationship with both of them. Perhaps an image is still more potentially insulting than a message board comment.
But I understand your sentiment. Please decide on whether taking the image down. It'd be certainly better than if causing hard feelings.

jmenges
01-14-2015, 06:51 AM
It's not my place to decide about taking the thing down. You have the right to post whatever you like, comment or image. Admin controls the content of the message boards

I felt the need to state my view. This is a thread devoted to the show. As the name behind the show, it's creator and host, I'm stating that I appreciate authors, especially the more controversial ones, coming on to have a free and open discussion of their books, and find it in bad taste to see that their appearance on the podcast is later used to lampoon them. And, why would Patty Cornwell come on Rippercast if she saw that a Rippercast thread on the website that sponsors the show had photoshopped her face onto a leash like a dog? And the host said nothing?

Listeners to Rippercast can post and comment on whatever they like, and I can come along and reply to those posts, which I've done.

JM

sepiae
01-15-2015, 01:20 AM
Hi,
Mr Menges, I fully understand your position, and my regret is that the image has become a topic on a thread reserved for comments on the show; such a thing wasn't at all intended. Before any interpretation issues, and also before the rights of posting, both the unfortunate development of the thread, for which I take the blame, and your concern, as being the podcast's host, about past and future guests, are of more importance, I do understand this.
Left to say that I did not intend to insult neither Mr. Marriott or Mrs. Cornwall.

twnorman
01-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Unfortunately no one cares who Ripperologists are and what they think or what they are like until they do. Ripperology is for those who care about the Ripper case. Fortunately the website, the podcast and the books and the magazine are all great tools to get the message out. The podcast is my favorite part and I look forward to hearing more. By the way, I care about the Ripper case and I applaud you all for your efforts in seeking the truth. Don't give up.