Is it just me or......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me or......

Just being a new member you MAY have to pardon my faux pas BUT........is there some blurring of the genres when it comes to the whole Ripper/Steam Punk scene? Seems there is some commonality here?
    Last edited by mercurialmade62; 06-02-2008, 09:58 AM. Reason: Mistake in spelling

What the heck is 'Steam Punk'?

All the best
    The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Is it just me or.......

It's a genre that is set in the same area as the Ripper's crimes but specualtes how it would have been if there was a greater level of technology. A la Jules Verne ect. It's developed into quite a subculture. I was introduced to it my an American mate of mine

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
        What the heck is 'Steam Punk'?

All the best

I don't see the relevance in it though.

Please expand my knowledge
        Living the Dream!

Comment

Whilst it is true there is a growing genre of ripper fiction, it is no recent trend, and has been around for some time.
          I imagined Steam Punk as being a bunch of kids playing steam driven musical instruments, and singing "Jack the Ripper"!!
          Regards Mike

Comment

Well, while discussing it with my mate he pointed out that SOME Steam Punk groups he has heard of have evolved from Ripper offshoots and vice versa. I'm about to embark on the reading of 'Whitechapel Gods', a SP novel with Ripper threads vaguely woven in, so maybe I will have a clearer picture then. maybe it's just a bunch of old cobbler's!

Comment

a good book

mercurialmade62,

i would suggest reading "The Witches of Chiswick" by Robert Rankin. Somewhat deals woth the subject. Very entertaining and quite funny

Peter
              Living the Dream!

Comment

Thanks Peter!

Thanks for the recommendation Peter. I've also ordered D. Rumbelow's 'Unmasking the Ripper' so I am in for an interesting wordfest methinks!

Comment

Working...
                X