Musical Druitts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical Druitts

A different side of the Druitt family. These are Montie's Christchurch cousins. Hamphsire Telepgraph and Sussex Chronicle, 30 June 1880:

Gee Andy, the only tune they sang I recognized was "Cherry Ripe". Julie Andrews sang a bit of it in her first scene in VICTOR/VICTORIA.

This evening of musical fun sounds ghastly!

Jeff

Comment

I swear one day we'll discover Monty singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        I swear one day we'll discover Monty singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts."
        ...in duet with Michael Maybrick, accompanied by Aaron Kozminsky & His Krazy Klezmorim. Tickets and Souvenir Pogroms available at the door.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

And possibly a solo by Mary Jane Kelly of "I plucked a flower from my mother's grave."

Comment

"Tickets and Souvenir Pogroms available at the door."

Seriously, Sam...!

The best,
            Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
              "Tickets and Souvenir Pogroms available at the door."

Seriously, Sam...!
              That's nothing, Fish. I had thought of including "Lil' Chile & His Keystone Kotton-pickers" on the bill, but decided against it
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Yes....,
                The mention of " L.Druitt" above refers of course, to Dr Lionel Druitt, Montagues cousin. The son of Dr Robert Druitt.
                Having dogged his footsteps through the snows of rural Victoria, Tasmania and New South Wales myself, I was interested to see he was establishing a community persona in Christchurch which later matured in Australia.
                Here, his principal interests were church ( lay preaching, Bible Society, and church warden);masonic ( attending lodge meetings and conducting the duties as Lodge doctor for subscribers);supporting local good causes ( by performing violin recitals whilst his wife tinkled away on the piano beside him.He was apparently a passable actor especially in short farces);acting as local Medical Officer attached to a country hospital.
                JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Have just finished "the Suspicions of Mr Whicher" re true 1860 Country House Murder.Noticed the extended family took off for Tasmania and Australia after the family scandal.Wonder if this was why Lionel took off? After all it was his sisters Monty had tutored etc!
                  Yes Jeff,it does sound a bit ghastly! Still they hadnt telly or the cinema in those days so they had to "make their own fun"---if you can call it that!

Comment

Hi Natalie,

Yes, it was an age when making a night of fun was difficult. They didn't even have the B.B.C. and radio. Crossword puzzles were not in existance, and the only real board games were Chess and Draughts (Checkers). You were left with the theater (expensive), parties (rare occasions, and expensive), reading, catching up with correspondence, talking (yes it could be entertaining - but you are talking to your own family, and can do it anytime), playing cards (whist, for example), drawing (if someone is willing to pose for you - besides most people would do that earlier in the day), and having an evening of singing.

Believe it or not the Druitts were not the only ones who turned to musical entertainment. When Rutherford Hayes was President he would invite members of the cabinet to his home on certain evenings, and he and Lucy
                    (his wife), and their sons would go with the guests into the parlor and sing
                    hymns! I once read that they took pity on Vice President William Wheeler
                    (whose wife had just died) and invited him every week. Yet it was done as
                    a nice act for the party who was invited.

There were other things that could be done...by men. We are on this board discussing nocturnal visits to the East End of London and what happened there in 1888. But I note that no similar activity by women has been documented. The fact is in 1888 it was (all feminists forgive me) a male-dominated society.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

I think that one thing the Victorians did do (at least the more middle-class ones) was perform their own puppet theatre shows. I think the film "The Railway Children" has a scene showing this.

Also, they would have read more books than the average person today (though not as many as Jeff).

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        I think that one thing the Victorians did do (at least the more middle-class ones) was perform their own puppet theatre shows. I think the film "The Railway Children" has a scene showing this.

Also, they would have read more books than the average person today (though not as many as Jeff).
                        So many books and murders - so little time.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,
                          Both my grandmothers were born in the latter part of the nineteenth century-and both died twenty years ago having lived to a ripe old age.They both had pianos and regularly had singsongs which were also pretty ghastly affairs ,but I suppose they thought were great fun.At Christmas these often began rather piously,with Christmas carols etc but before too long ,after several glasses of my grandmother"s home made ginger wine,a bit of ribaldry would creep in -I didnt care for it much,it was always my father"s mother who started it, and my father who would cough and say,---"thats enough mother' to which she would reply,"Oh Dear,Alfred,what have I said to upset you? I was only making my own fun!

Comment

I searched Youtube without success for the scene from "The Ladykillers" where Alec Guinness and the rest of the bank robbers are forced to attend a musical evening in Mrs Lopsided's front room, with her old lady friends.

If ever there was an image of total, abject defeat it is Alec Guinness hunched over the keyboard reluctantly playing the old time songs.

Comment

I love that scene. Herbert Lom has just gone to park the getaway car on a side street, and returns to have one of Katie Johnson's old crone friends hand him some tea (he looks like he's been trapped), and we watch Peter Sellers, Cecil Parker, and the tall, heavyset actor surrounded by the old ladies
                              while poor Guiness is forced to play "Silver Threads Among the Gold" while the ladies sing it!

Earlier is another wonderful moment - also music connected. Pretending to be a string quintet practicing, Guiness and crew go out to help Ms Johnson retrieve her pet parrot which was getting her daily medication. Only Herbert Lom refuses to go and stays, looking thoroughly disgusted and bored in the bedroom. Guiness has forgotten to turn off the phonograph record and it remains playing (Boccharini I believe). Alexander MacKendrick keeps returning to Lom sitting stoically listening to the record. Finally the record gets a scratch by accident, and starts repeating itself again and again on a brief passage. Lom picks up the record, looks at the label out of vague curiosity, and then smashes the disk!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X