Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route to Mitre Square

Hello everyone,

At the beginning of episode two(2), an animated route from Berner St to Mitre Square is depicted and described by narration. Best I can tell, when they speak of Church Lane to Leman, BackChurch Lane is in fact referred to.

In The Complete Jack the Ripper, Phillip Sudgen, New York 1994, the author describes another possibility, that the killer did not go southwest and then up Leman. Instead, from the vicinity of Commercial Rd he cut across the byway Church Lane to reach Whitechapel High St. On page 212-213 he discusses this and the newspaper report that generated the idea. He give special care to it vis a vis witness descriptions, but ultimately cautions upon relying on it due to lack of verification.

Star Oct 1, 1888

'From two different sources we have the story that a man when passing through Church-lane at about half-past one, saw a man sitting on a door-step and wiping his hands. As every one is on the look out for the murderer the man looked at the stranger with a certain amount of suspicion, whereupon he tried to conceal his face. He is described as a man who wore a short jacket and a sailor's hat."

Roy

PS: Disclaimer - I could be wrong about any and all streets and place names, so please feel free to help. Thanks again to you all.
    Sink the Bismark

Hi Roy

The fact of the matter is that in 1888 there were masses of different routes the killer could have taken to Mitre Square if (as I also believe) he is the killer of Liz Stride. There were loads of roads and alleys in that sector below and west of Commercial Road - easily double what's there today.

That Docklands piece is not to be taken too seriously. I found at least nine errors in it.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Hi Roy,
      The easiest way would have been down to Fairclough Street,right turn there,walk along going Westwards to Backchurch Lane,until Commercial Street,cross over to Union Street until reaching "Whitechapel High Street "and then left and Westwards again until the High street renames itself "Aldgate High Street" and then renames itself again at Houndsditch to "Aldgate".He could have entered Mitre square via Duke Street>Church Passage or Mitre Street.
      The whole journey taking less than 15 minutes-if that.

Best
      Norma

Comment

Hi all-

I agree with Nats here...Fairclough St into Backchurch and head to Houndsditch- Once you're there- admire the synagogue (but don't attempt to get in!!!)-and then head down the road--- then you have many choices open to you...and many a happy hour deciding how to enter Mitre Square-
        Duke St...probably the most evocataive, Church Passage...good for the name but little else (Except a rather disturbing coffee emporium)-My personal favourite is Mitre Street.
        Then of course you can spend ages deciding which way to exit it (as a potential JTR getaway) and come back in again as a walk -doing the Kate from Bishopsgate Police Station....Hours of innocent fun!!!
        Have some wonderful pics somewhere--gimme a mo will find them!

Suzi x
        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Right- found some great ones from that day....A read anyone???

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hound1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	653854Houndsditch Nats and Philip

Name:	Hound2.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	653855Just the best picture of Mitre Square ever!!

Name:	Hound4.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	653856You're nicked my son!

Name:	Hound5.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	653857Aldgate pump!

Name:	Hound6.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	653858Rob and Nats in Princelet St (I think!) Gawd it was 'ot!

One more!...well two ish I think!!

Suzi x
          Last edited by Suzi; 05-26-2008, 08:36 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]1929[/ATTACH]X marks the spot!!!

(Fire brigade sign behind Rob just before the impression came on!!!!) hehe x

[ATTACH]1930[/ATTACH] 'Ang on mi' old mucker I'll get it on camera!!!

Great day though wasn't it.....

Suz xx
            As a professional shorts wearer despite this crap weather!!!! I approve of these leg matters!!!!

Now where were we with the Old Mitre Square business....................................
            Last edited by Suzi; 05-26-2008, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Oh crap, Suzi, you're going to get Howard Brown going on about shorts again.

PHILIP

Comment

Hi Suzi and everyone in the piccies.
                Looks like you all had fun!
                Great to be able to put some faces to familiar names.

Comment

Great pics Suzi,
                  Philip looks like he is trying out for the Spring/Summer Edition of the Littlewoods Catalouge, with that little finger point! In fact, I am not sure what is sharper, Philips legs, or the finger point in question!!

The Mitre Square pic of the bin man still spooks me, I just keep looking at the "White van man" watching you guys!
                  Regards Mike

Comment

If Jack had gone BackChurch Lane he would have passed #72. Note thrifty proprieter not drinking his own profits.
                    Attached Files
                    Sink the Bismark

Comment

It was fun that day Suzi!Maybe in August we can have another day like that!
                      ----adorable pic of dog serving himself a drink from the fountain!
                      Cheers
                      Nats

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                        Great pics Suzi,
                        Philip looks like he is trying out for the Spring/Summer Edition of the Littlewoods Catalouge, with that little finger point!
                        And that was exactly the intention, Mike!

If you're going to be sharing a photo with one as dapper and caddish as the infamous Dids, you have to make an effort.

PHILIP

Comment

Working...
                        X