Info about other Druitt family members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info about other Druitt family members

A thread for bit of info regarding other members of the Druitt family. Please state clearly how the relative is related to Montague if it is not obvious. Hopefully, this will help us put some "flesh" of the Druitt family tree.

Robert Druitt Jr., son of Robert Druitt and Montie's cousin, married Alice-May, the daughter of Sir Daniel Tupper, who was at one time assistant comptroller of the Lord Chamberlain's department of the king's household. Her apparently much younger sister, Cecil Mary Nowell Dering Tupper, became Viscountess of Craigavon when she married James Craig, who was to become the first Prime Minister of Northern Ireland in 1921. The Viscountess was to become president of the Ulster Women's Unionist Council. She died in 1960.

A Book Gift From MJD To Sarah...

This post links back to a recent one I made on "Druitt's Final Days " thread.
    I was saying we needed to know more about MJD's siblings and who he was closest to.
    But because the detail here discusses another family member's contact with MJD, it belongs here.

No doubt lost in the mists of that last crash of the boards, on December 08, 2004 at 3.20 a.m. a certain Chris King posted details of a book possessed by his family, " Flowers Of The Field " presented to Sarah Hare, by her cousin Montague Druitt.
    MJD signed the dedicated page. Sarah did so too and added the date: "June/81" .
    Chris mentions he was aware of the Montague Druitt Suspicion in his family prior to Farson's book emerging(1972). His mother said it was taboo to discuss it.
    Chris's awareness could have been because Tom Cullen's book Autumn Of Terror ,had blurted Druitt's name out prior to Farson (1965).
    Sarah was the daughter of MJD's Christchurch uncle, James Druitt. His eldest daughter and she was born in October 1877.
    She handed the book on to Dorothy, Chris' great aunt. Apparently, on school holidays, poor old Chris was condemned to visit his great aunt Dorothy (three times a year) where he would accompany her on the clarinet. She would play an old Bluthner upright. " She was kind but daunting". Coupled with this was the fact that Chris' grandfather, Edward James Hare, CBE, was a Lincoln's Inn trained barrister and last official solicitor to Queen Anne's Bounty (dissolved in 1948).
    So Chris' mother would not discuss the Druitt Suspicion with him.
    Chris' great aunt Dorothy, lived in London, he in Ireland. She died in 1969Chris referred to an aunt who had attempted to interrogate her parents re the MJD Suspicion, and they had refused point-blank, to do so.
    And there, unfortunately, the thread went cold.....JOHN RUFFELS

Comment

In the paperback edition of Fason's book (but not the hardcover) he references an article from The Wycammist, the Winchester College newspaper from the 1970's which says that a "Kennyite" already knew of the Druitt family suspicions in the 1890's. The term "Kennyite" referred to a residence Druitt's residence house at Winchester. While at Winchester I found that article and verified it. A census search showed a man from Dorset by the name of Harvey (Ann Druitt's maiden name) living in a nearby residence house. Unfortunately, I failed to establish any familial relationship between this Harvey and Ann Druitt's family.

Comment

Further Intriguing Detail About MJD and Sarah (Hare) nee Druitt

Good idea, Andy,
        To transfer relatively linked data from their scatterings among myriad threads to this focal point.

In fact, the thought occurs to me, maybe we should be seeking where Sarah
        who married her cousin, Edward Montague Hare in 1877***, lived in 1888.
        ***(Please note: I made an error in the post above, Sarah was James Druitt's first-born. In 1844. 1877 was her marriage date. So she was married and aged 33 when Montague Druitt autographed the gifted book to her).

Chris King's letter has much more family detail. Mainly about the Hare side.
        Sarah and Montague Hare produced a son Edward James Hare later CBE, who was Chris King's grandfather, and who died in 1969.He was called to the Bar of Lincoln's Inn in 1916. And as I said, was the last solicitor for "Queen Anne's Bounty" in 1948.
        The Hare family seat appears to have been "Docking Hall", which had once belonged to a certain Edward Christian.
        As sometimes happened, Edward decided to change his name from Christian -possibly- for two reasonsne he was a minister of the church; and secondly, yes, his family was related to Fletcher Christian of Mutiny ON The Bounty fame!

So, Edward Christian became (Rev'd) Edward Hare of Docking Hall. His son, Humphrey John Hare, succeeded to Docking Hall, and was Chris King's great-grandfather.(Phew).
        Ironically, Chris King's mother's middle name was Christian.
        Sarah was Chris King's great grandmother.So she must have resided at Docking Hall. JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Hi Andy and John,

While noting the numerous connections of Monty's family that are being revealed (in particular the wife of James Craig, father of Northern Ireland) I noted the name of Sir Daniel Tupper, who married Monty's cousin Alice May.
          Sir Daniel was connected to the Lord Chamberlain department. Has anyone seen if Sir Daniel was related to Sir Charles Tupper, the fifth Prime Minister of Canada in 1896, or the popular Victorian poet/moralist Martin Farquahr Tupper.

Jeff

Comment

There's a Druitt family tree in Charles Herbert Mayo's A Genealogical Account of the Mayo and Elton Families of the Counties of Wilts and Hereford .

Comment

Source

Originally posted by TradeName View Post
              This book was used as a source for genealogical information on the Druitt family for the 1987 Ripper Legacy book. Here is the cover of my copy -

Click image for larger version

Name:	druittfamily.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	657726
              SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

A Rare And Much-Sought-After Book, Stewart.

Greetings ,

Well, now you've made a rod for your back, Stewart.

I think even the Druitt relative, Charles King, mentioned above, did not know where he could get his hands on a copy of your rare Druitt/Mayo/Elton tome.

Your extremely valuable collection of rare - but always important - Ripper books and documents must be an Alladin's cave which you could immerse yourself in, for days at a time.

How do you wrench yourself away at meal times, and when the dogs demand a walk?

Perhaps you could answer Mayerling's interesting question above?

JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Working...
                X