Bible John.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bible John.

This is a case worthy of intrest surrounding the Ripper case.
    I remember as a young boy the impact of the murders and the fear it installed in the woman of the East end of Glasgow.
    Brief detail.

Bible John is the nickname of a serial killer who is purportedly known to have murdered three young women after meeting them at the Barrowland Ballroom in Glasgow, Scotland, between 1968 and 1969. As of 2013, the killer has never been identified although the known movements and modus operandi of convicted Glaswegian serial killer Peter Tobin suggests that he may have been behind the killings. However this has never been proven and the case remains unsolved.

1. On 23 February 1968, the naked body of 25-year-old nurse Patricia Docker was found by a man on his way to work in a lane behind Carmichael Place, Glasgow.She had been raped and strangled. The previous night, she had told her parents that she was going out dancing at a nearby club, the Majestic Ballroom in Hope Street, Glasgow. Patricia had, in fact, gone to the Barrowland Ballroom for the over-25s night.

2. On 15 August 1969, mother of three, Jemima McDonald, 32, also went for a night out at the Barrowland Ballroom. The next day, Jemima's sister Margaret, heard rumors in the area that young children were seen leaving an old tenement building in MacKeith Street talking about "the body"
    By the Monday morning, Margaret was so concerned that she herself, fearing the worst went to the old building where she found Jemima's battered body. She had been strangled, raped and beaten to death.

3. On 31 October 1969, 29-year-old Helen Puttock was found murdered in Earl Street in Scotstoun. She had also been to the Barrowland Ballroom on the night she was murdered; she had gone there with her sister, Jean, and had met two men called John. One said he was from Castlemilk while the other did not disclose where he was from. After being in their company for well over an hour, they left to head home. Castlemilk John walked to George Square to get a bus, while Helen, Jean and the killer hailed a taxi.
    They set off from Glasgow Cross and made a westward journey heading to Knightswood where Jean lived. It was during this journey that most of the crucial information about the killer became apparent.

More significant were the conversations in the taxi that would later be used to create a psychological profile of the killer. Jean told detectives that he was a well-spoken man who quoted from the Bible. It was this information that led to the killer being given the moniker "Bible John" by the media.

As to date no one has been caught for the crimes.

prime suspect.
    he 4 May 2007 conviction of Peter Tobin for the murder of student Angelika Kluk led to speculation that he is Bible John. This thesis was spearheaded by Professor David Wilson, an expert in criminal behaviour, who was struck by two key aspects of Kluk's murder. Tobin was already in his 60s when the murder was committed, which is unusually late to start a killing career; and the fact that he attacked with such violence, then hid the body and ran away to London did not suggest the work of an amateur.

The murders have fasinated and still puts fear into people who were living at the area of the time; knowing the murderer was never caught.

Source: Wiki.

As a ripperologist, i am surprised the crimes have never met with the same intrest as the ripper case has had. Although the bodies were never cut or rippped; the feroucious violence of the crimes and the same M.O is of intrest and worth of amatire sluth to look into.
    Although police recon it was peter Tobin. nothing has been proven and there is only circumstantual evedence against him at best.

Hiya phil, read about Bible John a while back...I reckon the reason his crimes didn't so much catch the public imagination is they are relatively modern, within living memory, so to speak...and
    The Nickname..
    "Wanna nip out for a Pint...I'm Bible John"
    "Sure could do a drink"
    "Wanna nip out for a Pint I'm Jack the Ripper"
    "Err..i'm on the weight watchers at the minute...any other time......

Comment

His contemporary Zodiac was garnering most of the global attention.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

To my knowledge, Bible John didn't get any coverage here in the States when the murders were ongoing and it wasn't just because it was a British case. At least two other British serial killer cases from the 1960s, Jack the Stripper and the Moors Murders, were covered in the news here in the U.S. when they were happening.

I always wondered if Bible John and Zodiac might have been competing a little like perhaps JtR and the Torso Killer were.

Stan Reid

Comment

Bible John?

Peter Tobin.

/thread

Comment

Yes, very good possibility that Peter Tobin is your man, and a good possibility that he was also responsible for other unsolved murders around 25 - 30 years ago, including that of Janice Weston which, for my money, is one of the most mysterious unsolved murders of the 20th century.

Bible John didn't attract a lot of publicity south of the Scottish border at the time, either, largely because I think the police took some time to connect the murders as being the work of one man. Nothing grabs the news like a possible serial killer on the loose.

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
              I always wondered if Bible John and Zodiac might have been competing a little like perhaps JtR and the Torso Killer were.
              or Jack the Stripper and Boston Strangler. Or, serial killers William Hance and Carlton Gary who definitely were competing.

I think BTK was jealous of Ted Bundy and Bundy was jealous of Green River also.

Stan Reid

Comment

G'Day Stan

William Hance and Carlton Gary who definitely were competing.
                I admit to not being terribly au fait with William Hance and Carlton Gary but why do you say they were definitely competing, is there some admission I have missed.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I understand about Hance's "white group" and his letter leading to him being caught, but why "Competing"?
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi GUT:

Hance was competing with Gary for publicity, that was evident in the letters he sent authorities and his murderous actions. It may just be a guess that Gary was competing back. He did slow his pace after Hance entered the picture and quit killing when Hance was arrested so maybe that was "game over" - who can say.

Stan Reid

Comment

G'Day Stan

Thanks for the explanation.
                      G U T

Comment

I have just come upon this thread, hence the delay in contributing.

In 1996 the police exhumed the body of John McInnes, an ex soldier, in an attempt to match DNA from McInnes to DNA from the clothing of one of the victims.
                        This was done because forensic tests had shown there were similarities between DNA taken from McInnes' sister and the DNA taken from the clothing of one of the victims.

Unfortunately the body of McInnes was so badly decomposed that scientists were unable to obtain any useful DNA.

Officially McInnes was cleared, but there must always be doubts relating to this finding.

Comment

I wonder how he knew the women were on their periods or did he take out a lot of women and only kill the ones who were menstruating.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                            I wonder how he knew the women were on their periods or did he take out a lot of women and only kill the ones who were menstruating.
                            The feeling at the time was that he picked the women up for sex, and when he found out they were menstruating it triggered a murderous rage.

If this scenario is correct, it probably means that he did have sex with other women he picked up at the dancing.

However as most, if not all, of these women were married, they were very reluctant to come forward and confirm their infidelity.

Comment

I agree that killing women who happened to be on their periods out of a group of many women is probably the most likely scenario. The third possibility is that he picked three women and all just happened to be on their periods but the chance (figuring 4 days out of 28) of that would be greater than 300 to one I think.
                              Last edited by sdreid; 11-03-2014, 08:45 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X