Kosminski's Profession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kosminski's Profession

So, I freaked the seder table out a little tonight, by bringing up Jack the Ripper.

What I asked was if anyone knew exactly what a professional "hairdresser" would do in a Jewish community Eastern Europe in the latter half of the 19th century, then I had to explain why I was asking.

It turns out there are a couple of different Yiddish words for "hairdresser," but everyone figured they were American Yiddish, and I don't know enough about Yiddish, historically, to know where the words come from, or how long they have been in the language.

But, what got me thinking about it was the fact that if Aaron Kosminski's profession really was "hairdresser," I'm not really sure what exactly he could have been doing. Here's the problem: Jewish men and women who were not related (or married) were not allowed to touch each other, other than in some kind of situation of necessity, like a doctor rendering aid, or carrying a wounded person, so the idea that a man was styling women's hair, in the shtetl, just isn't viable. Then, on top of that, there is the fact that in the 19th century, women kept their hair covered, especially married women, who were not supposed to show any hair at all, to the point that women who could afford to do so wore wigs over their natural hair. Men kept their heads covered with yarmulkes and hats, and wore their hair short, because it made hats fit better.

So, I can't figure out what a "hairdresser" did, unless what Kosminski actually was, was a wigmaker, as well as someone who maintained and styled wigs for married women. I assume that if he were a barber, he'd be called that, and not a "hairdresser."

If he became a hairdresser after he came to London, that strikes me as even more odd, as he would have worked with gentile women pretty much exclusively, and it just seems a really peculiar career path for someone who came from E. Europe, presumably to escape religious persecution.

Now, I suppose he may have worked for a hairdresser, sweeping up, or something.

I am not finding the original source for the information that he was a hairdresser. Can someone point me to it? If it's translated, I'd like to track down the original, and if it's not, then I'd like to try to figure out where the information came from-- whoever first recorded it, must have been told by someone, and if it wasn't Kosminski himself, I'd like to know who.

I think there's a chunk of his life we don't know about hiding behind the idea that he had been a "hairdresser." There has to be more to it than that, or it is somehow a mistake, and if it's a mistake, maybe we can still find out what he really did. It may not turn out to mean anything, but I'm just trying not to leave an unturned stone. If nothing else, we might find out that he was once employed by gentiles, and had a chance to learn to speak English well.

Hairdresser Reference

Hi RivkahChaya

I believe that it said Aaron was a hairdresser on the 1901 UK census, at Leavesden Asylum Hertfordshire.
    I too have wondered about this profession for a while.
    My current thoughts are based on a discovery a few weeks ago.
    I found a pub in Church Street Whitechapel (I will try to find it again) That ran a charity for Jewish immigrant young men. It seems they set them up with some tools, or the means to follow a trade in Hairdressing.
    I did wonder if they shaved men? I would have thought it would have to be something basic. I agree with you and I dont think it involves women. So basic mens haircut or shaves?

Pat Marshall

Comment

Hairdressers

Sorry ...
      Also I did notice while looking at the criminal records of young Jewish men arrested in dodgy clubs in Whitechapel a few were also hairdressers.
      It does look like young men without a trade were helped maybe?

Pat

Comment

Providing haircuts and/or shaves to the men would seem like the most logical way he could do what the census said he did but is it at all possible he was rendering his services to women on the sly in some seedy little barber shop in downtown White Chapel?

Mr Holmes

Comment

Heres the pub

Apologies it was Church Lane !
          The pub was run by an Isaac Abrahams in 1891. My eyes lit up, but as far as I can see no relation to Aaron Kosminski.
          Now I have to find where I read about the charity

Heres a later picture of the pub

Pat
          Attached Files

Comment

So, do we have a side-of-the-pond thing? "Hairdresser" in the US would be understood as applying exclusively to women, with the exception of a hairdresser who worked in Hollywood, and did the hairstyles of men appearing in films. In the UK does it apply to anyone who cuts men's hair, even someone who just trims it without styling it?

Also, I realize the pub is just named the "Horse & Groom," and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with horses, unless it's some kind of sports that caters to horse-racing fans, but it made me wonder if someone who grooms horses could have been called a "hairdresser," since horses are usually described as having hair, rather than fur. I can even see a language confusion somehow, if they were doing anything involving horses, since the Yiddish for hair is "hor," and in some dialects it gets pluralized when you are talking about something like styling it, so it it would be "hors," very similar to the way a Yiddish speaker would pronounce "horse."

I don't know where that could go.

If someone was trying to find employment for unemployed men in the Jewish community, that's wonderful, but if it involved touching lots of strange women, particularly gentile women, I think there'd be an objection from the religious section. Or did gentile men get their hair "styled" then?

Comment

A hairdresser would have probably taken care of wigs. That would have been traditionally what a British hairdresser would have done. Barbers shaved people and cut hair. Of course a barber was someone who had some medical training as well...a holdover from the barber-surgeon days, and that brings us to feldsher, though we don't want to go there.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

It may be a trade that has disappeared.

I seem to recall that someone Shakespeare knew (I'll find the book and check) in the 1590s made little hats like "fascinators" which were popular then at court and in high society. Did not one of the Kosminski's make "mantles" or capes, which were fashionable at the time.

Late Victorian women were very much into false hair to allow them to dress their crowing glory in impressive ways - a married Victorian woman with any claim to style, always dressed her hair "up" (i.e. piled on top of the head).

So could a "hairdresser" not have been someone who made or dressed false hair pieces or pads which would then be put in place by a lady's maid? They also used frontages etc - there is a funny passage in the Forsyte saga when Soames aunt's false front (she presumably was going bald or her hairline was receding) is attacked by an animal (a dog I think) when it is lying around!!

On another thought, IF Kosminski helped in shaving men, then he would have been handy with a "cut-throat" razor (no irony intended) - the only means of shaving in 1888. These required careful and dextrous handling, were exceedingly sharp, and would have been ideal training in "technique" for "Jack".

P.S. I am NOT saying "Jack" used a cut-throat razor, only that he might have been more deft as the result of weilding one.

Phil

Comment

Phil you said....P.S. I am NOT saying "Jack" used a cut-throat razor, only that he might have been more deft as the result of weilding one.

It would also give him access to sharpen his knife on a strop (I think thats what it was called)

Pat

Comment

Yep...But most men who owned a razor would have a strop for it.......

Comment

Steve

Your absolutely right......It is a bit early in the day for me !

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                        Your absolutely right......It is a bit early in the day for me !

Pat
                        ...Just remembered my Grandad having one...........

Comment

I had a long post that got wiped out (thanks, cat). Here's the gist: if Kosminski dealt in sheitls (wigs for Jewish women to cover their natural hair), then he'd have skills that would transfer to a gentile wigmaker's shop, where he'd undoubtedly improve his English.

Also, before he totally went off his rocker, he may have been particularly good at shmuesing women, if he dealt with them , and what they wanted done to their wigs on a regular basis. He also would have had good manual dexterity, and probably picked up manual skills easily. And anyone who has darned clothing by hand, or put up your own hair, knows that you get good at doing things by touch.

Kosminski was just 23 in 1888. Maybe he had not had his first serious psychotic break then. We can't judge his degree of illness in 1888 by his behavior in 1891, especially if we can pinpoint something that could have been a trigger in between, and right now viruses and environmental toxins are suspect triggers, both of which would have been different in 1888. In fact, we don't even know that the age of onset might not have tended to be later back then-- assuming, as we all more or less do, that Kosminski was schizophrenic.

Comment

I know they sold hairdressing manuals so women could copy styles, and those manuals were written for women, not professionals. There's one on Amazon if it interests you. But it implies less of a trade directed at women than say in Paris.

I also found this on a Victorian London website:
                            "Victorian London - Professions and Trades - Services Industry / General - Hairdressers

TO the VISITORS of LONDON. Amongst the sights of London, there is none more useful and attractive than the BOWER OF CALYPSO. While surrounded by the sunny sky of the east, listening to the murmuring of the waters, you can have your hair cut; while having your hair dressed by the first-rate artists either English, French, or Italian, you can enjoy the Tale of Telemachus, in the Grotto of Calypso, in sight of the inimitable Mentor and his pupil; you can have your head shampooed in the limpid waters of the Adriatic, always using brushes clean from the stream. So great an influence has the fair island, that premature age, with white heads and whiskers, do not leave the Bower without being restored to their natural colour of brown or black, or when the hand of time has destroyed the luxorious tresses of youth, the invisible fibres of Calypso will restore them to their former beauty.
                            Observe - HEWLETT'S HAIR CUTTING, HAIR DYEING and WIG MANUFACTORY, 6 Burlington-arcade (five doors from Piccadilly.) Fresh hair brushes to every customer. The head shampooed on the Oxford system."

So umm.... okay. But the whiskers bit makes me think that this is a spa for men. But I've also seen several references to wig stylists being called hairdressers. If I were to guess, I would think that he either styled wigs, or cut and treated men's hair. Perhaps even shampooing them "on the Oxford system".
                            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

German Hairdressers?

This book is on Amazon uk and according to Rootschat includes names from Trade directories. One person mentioned was 1902
                              Not sure if Aaron would have worked for the Germans but it was said he could talk German and had spent some time there. It would be interesting if there is detail of this profession in the book.

German Hairdressers in the UK: their effect upon the British way of life, by Jenny Towey

Pat........................

Comment

Working...
                              X