Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper - Secret Police Files (Marriott)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper - Secret Police Files (Marriott)

Hi everyone,
    can anyone help, I have been on Waterstone's website this morning to get myself a copy of Trevor's new book and see what it might contain and it is listed as 'Publication abandoned'

Does anyone know if it has been withdrawn or is it a fault on the website?
    I am eager to get a copy as soon as i can
    thanks
    Jenni
    “be just and fear not”

Jenni I rang the publishers. The guy I spoke to said that they were not publishing it after all, owing to legal issues. He didn't know what the issues were - I suppose you'd have to ask higher up.

Comment

"Legal issues"?? You don't say. Now we will never know the truth, alas!(in my very best conspiracist's voice)

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

just back from seeing marriots live tour and at the end he showed the cover of this book and send to be released sometime this year. so hopefully still going ahead looking forward to reading it

Comment

A secret book about the secret police files - quite appropriate when you think about it!
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

He writes well, so it will be an enjoyable read, even if one does not agree with the conclusions reached.

Phil

Comment

Writes well?

Have you perused his posts on the forums where he doesn't have the benefit of an editor?
              Best Wishes,
              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Hunter, the thread is about his allegedly forthcoming book, rather than his behaviour on this site, or his posts, and my comment was made in that context.

I did enjoy his previous book, though I did not agree for a moment with his conclusions. Indeed, I believe Trevor has himself now distanced himself from them. I have, however, read several worse Ripper books.

I am interested to read what was in the "files" he has spent so much time fighting for, and what he makes of them. I have to take my hat off to the man for his stamina and commitment in seeking to get the registers released.

Whether one agrees with or likes trevor, he has aided in adding genuinely new information to what we have on this case.

So in a qualified way, yes I do enjoy his writing.

Ian Hislop once commented on "Have I Got News For You" (for non-UK readers, a UK current affairs satirical "quiz") about Jeffrey Archer's novels: "He has said he goes through 14 drafts. Given how bad the end product is, can you imagine what the first draft must be like!" or words to that effect. Maybe Trevor also needs a few drafts to hone his prose.

Phil

Comment

I tend to agree. I bought The 21st Century Investigation when it first came out. It's not the best book in the genre, but it's certainly not the worst either.
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

According to Amazon UK this title is already available:

Phil

Comment

Hi Phil,
                      Trevor confirmed on JTR forums that it has been withdrawn due to differences with the publisher, if i recall, so he is seeking a new publisher

Jenni

ps hence dont order from AmAZON!
                      “be just and fear not”

Comment

Well, they accepted my order..... and I have heard nothing by e-mail to say there's a problem.

Phil

Comment

well, im only going on what the author said
                          “be just and fear not”

Comment

Maybe I'll receive a rare copy of a book that never gets published and it'll be worth... pence!!!

Seriously, I fully expect to get an e-mail withdrawing the order - and I am grateful for your warning.

Phil

Comment

I got an e-mail from Amazon saying my order had been delayed (no further details given)
                              I've cancelled it now and await further developments.

Comment

Working...
                              X