In search of Mickeldy Joe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of Mickeldy Joe

Hello All. I am trying to get to the bottom of the "Mickeldy Joe" story. Supposedly, he was a friend of "Leather Apron." (Since the tale originated in "The Star" it is already a bit suspect.)

To begin, I was wondering whether anyone were familiar with the common lodging house in Brick Lane where "Mickeldy Joe" purportedly lived?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers.
    LC

original story

Hello All. Thought it might be prudent to paste "The Star" story for reference. ("The Star" 5 September, 1888.)

Cheers.
    LC

"Leather-Apron" never by any chance attacks a man. He runs away on the slightest appearance of rescue. One woman whom he assailed some time ago boldly prosecuted him for it, and he was sent up for seven days. He has no settled place of residence, but has slept oftenest in a fourpenny lodging-house of the lowest kind in a disreputable lane leading from Brick-lane. The people at this lodging-house denied that he had been there, and appeared disposed to shield him.

"LEATHER-APRON'S" PAL, "MICKELDY JOE,"

was in the house at the time, and his presence doubtless had something to do with the unwillingness to give information. "Leather-Apron" was last at this house some weeks ago, though this account may be untrue. He ranges all over London, and rarely assails the same woman twice. He has lately been seen in Leather-lane, which is in the Holborn district. There is no question, considering his general character and the certainty that the murders were done by some unsettled character of this kind but that he should be taken into custody and investigated.

Comment

additional research

Hello All. Here is a link to a previous thread where "Mickeldy Joe" was sought.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Hi Lynn

No break through here I`m afraid. But thought it may be worth noting that there were some Mackelday or Macheldy`s, who were German, living in the Marylebone area from the 1850`s on. I can`t see a Joe or Joseph Mackelday amongst their group.

Comment

Big Joe

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Having read the previous research on the subject, I wonder if it were the equivalent of "Big Joe"?

Wouldn't have a lead on the lodging house just off Brick lane, per chance?

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Hi Lynn

Could be, I don`t see it myself, but if a few people think it could be that it`s worth noting.

Hanbury St was called Browne Lane and there is this snippet off the Ripper Wiki:

A widely reproduced broadsheet from September 1888 which reports the capture of 'Leather Apron' refers to the street as 'Old Browne's Lane'

Comment

German

Hello Jon. Thanks.

So you favour his being, perhaps, German? And the name a bit of a corruption of a German name? Might be a good research starting point.

Thanks for the Browne Lane information. I need to check into their CLH's.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

I'd say it does indeed mean big Joe, from the Scottish adverb "mickle", meaning much or great.

Comment

Hi Lynn

It might be worth locating the Sept broadsheet that actually mentions the "capture" of Leather Apron on Browne Lane, as there may be further clues in it. I can`t do it now but I`ll have a look on Press Reports for it.

Yes, if you put a gun to my head I would say that the Mickeldy bit is something to do with a surname.

Comment

thanks

Hello Jon. Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Es geht nicht.

Hello Jon. I tried Ancestry and all the variants my poor imagination would allow--Mikelde, Mikalde, Michelde, Michalde, Meikelde, Meikalde, Meichelde and Meichalde. No go.

Any other German name suggestions? I am open.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

How about Joseph Michels born 1850/1 St George in the East?
                        He was a boiler maker and lived in Bromley St Leonard

There were three Michaels brothers that were charged with the assault at the Bell Club in Fieldgate Street . There was a Rueben and a Moss but I cant see the others name (see attached news article) sorry didnt write the date.

Pat.............................................
                        Attached Files

Comment

I am also half blind I now see it was Phillip
                          Apologies...
                          Pat

Comment

thanks

Hello Pat. Thanks. He deserves a closer look.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Hi Lynn

That snippet we were looking for was from The Star Sept 5th:

He has no settled place of residence, but has slept oftenest in a fourpenny lodging-house of the lowest kind in a disreputable lane leading from Brick-lane. The people at this lodging-house denied that he had been there, and appeared disposed to shield him. "LEATHER-APRON'S" PAL, "MICKELDY JOE,"
                              was in the house at the time, and his presence doubtless had something to do with the unwillingness to give information.

No clues unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                              X