Whitechapel TV Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel TV Series

Forgive me if there is already a thread on this subject, but I did do a quick search on this media board and didn't find anything.

I'm a few years late but finally saw the first season of Whitechapel in which a modern day Jack copy cat is prowling the streets. As entertainment, I really enjoyed it even though it was obvious from the beginning who the killer was. From a more critical perspective I found it slightly annoying that they had a "Ripperologist" character who was busy correcting the many myths associated with the case (and I appreciate this!), but at the same time the miniseries propagates the following (SPOILER ALERT!): 1. Jack was a doctor; 2. Jack killed himself shortly after MJK; 3. Eddowes had previously seen the killer; 4. Eddowes was dumped due to the tight timeline; 5. Jack sent the kidney. Oh well. I found it predictable but nonetheless very entertaining, perhaps because I have yet to visit London and loved getting to see the various Whitechapel locations. I found the Hanbury Street walkthrough to the backyard and yard itself quite disturbing and well done.

One serious question: The film makes the argument that Jack may have been trying to remove Eddowes face (cut a flap here and there and the entire face could then be lifted off). I have never heard this. Is this complete fiction or has it been seriously considered?

Of course,we can't PROVE they're myths........

Comment

Any thoughts on who the 'Ripperologist' character was based on?

Regards, Bridewell.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Not the Pope de Locksley pillock because he got far too much right!

All the best

Dave

Comment

I watched season 1 over a year ago and just managed to catch the last few episodes of season 3. The character development in season 3 is almost more compelling to me than the story lines. Still a fantastic series. I'm staying up until 4 am to catch the repeats of the first few episodes of season 3 --if only my DVR was working, I could get some sleep

Was anyone else disappointed by the resolution to the Thames torso murders?

Comment

Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
            I watched season 1 over a year ago and just managed to catch the last few episodes of season 3. The character development in season 3 is almost more compelling to me than the story lines. Still a fantastic series. I'm staying up until 4 am to catch the repeats of the first few episodes of season 3 --if only my DVR was working, I could get some sleep

Was anyone else disappointed by the resolution to the Thames torso murders?
            I missed the Torso Murders series. I think it was repeated yesterday on ITV3 - but I missed that as well!

Comment

Bridewell: If you don't mind watching on a computer screen, it looks as though someone has posted the Thames torso episodes on youtube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
                Bridewell: If you don't mind watching on a computer screen, it looks as though someone has posted the Thames torso episodes on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFGApcrY4w8
                Hi DS,

Thanks for that. I was able to catch most of the second part on ITV3 last night funnily enough.

Comment

Another series that I am finally able to watch. I haven't seem all the episodes yet aside from the Jack the Ripper set but so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                    Any thoughts on who the 'Ripperologist' character was based on?

Regards, Bridewell.
                    I just decided to catch up with the show on Netflix. I liked the first story, but LOVED the moment in the second, Krays influenced story, when the Ripperologist shows his 1995 video and he capture Fred Dinnage's inflections and mannerisms. Not an impersonation but a kind of tribute.

At other times you get some very strong hints of Martin Fido, with the way his voice starts out being sardonic and then gets undertone of sympathy and an old fashioned genteel charm.

But I like that Steve Permberton is able to make all these influences part of a rounded character and not just an inconsistent mass of pastiches. There are times I would rather see that character solving historical crimes than the Met solving modern copy cats.
                    There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

This series has even reached the shores of distant Sweden! And I have watched - or tried to watch - three or four of the stories presented, the original Jack-story included.
                      Generally speaking, I am thoroughly disappointed.

Does this come from the same country that produced "Prime suspect"? Hard to believe ...

All the best,
                      Fisherman

Comment

Ok...

I thought the first series was ok - even though the conclusion was somewhat ridiculous. Could've been better, could've been worse.

It went downhill after that though. The premise is interesting, but the product less so.

I was better persuaded by Ripper Street, against my every good intention...

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post
                          The premise is interesting, but the product less so.
                          Bingo, Sally ...!

Fisherman

Comment

We agree???

I need a sit down and a stiff drink...

All in good humour, Fish.

Have you seen Ripper Street btw? Maybe you'd like that more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post
                              We agree???

I need a sit down and a stiff drink...

All in good humour, Fish.

Have you seen Ripper Street btw? Maybe you'd like that more.
                              Yes, we agree, apparently! Truly a chilling experience, but going back and checking our posts, I cannot find anything to disagree with you over in this errand. Maybe if you add something...?

No, I havenīt seen Ripper Street, but Iīve heard a good thing or two about it, so you may well be right there again!!

Fisherman
                              uneasy

Comment

Working...
                              X