Dorset Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorset Street

This may have been posted before and I apologise as I am new to this and maybe raking over old ground.

I am on google earth trying to locate Dorset Street. I think I have found it as an alleyway behind whites row, seperating whites row and Brushfield Street.

Am I close? Can anybody please confirm.

Ta Muchness
    Living the Dream!

Hello revpetero.

You are correct, though I feel the term 'alleyway' is a little tough as the street (which is now an unnamed private access road) is quite wide.

The original line of Dorset/Duval Street has been slightly shifted. The demolition of the north side (1928) widened it considerably. The south side was demolished in the mid 1960s and the car park erected a few years later, after 1969 I believe. This narrowed it again.

Hope this helps.

JB

Comment

Thanks,

On google earth I can only make it out from above and cant really judge the width. From the height i first looked it was unnoticable.

Sorry and didn't mean to show unwarrented disregard
      Living the Dream!

Comment

No worries,

Google Earth shows many locations at a slight angle, so getting a handle on the widths of thoroughfares can be tricky.

Anyhow, glad you found it!! I first went there in 1982 and because it didn't have the street name on it I was totally flummoxed. Not a clue!

Incidentally, because the street line has shifted since 1888, we can now stand on the spot where Mary Kelly was discovered.

Regards
        JB

Comment

Hi revpetero

Yep John's right- the old layout of the street takes a lot of imagination these days The car park building and all the rest have widened the old Dorset Street more than likely by half as much again.Here's a pic (not a brilliant one sorry!) of what you see today and an approximation of where No 13 was!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ds ish.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	653765

Suzi x

Be good to get someone to do a 'merge' on the original and angle it up with the right hand side of the street going down from the Commercial end wouldn't it.........
          Last edited by Suzi; 05-16-2008, 12:43 AM.
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Living the Dream!

Comment

Hi Revpetero

You kind-of have the right place except the arrow is so far back it looks like you've marked the next bay down. The 1901 image of Dorset Street is actually from the Crispin Street direction looking towards Commercial Street (the opposite way to your modern image).

Suzi - it's been done. I can't remember who did it (the merge) but it MIGHT have been Jake. I think it was early 2006. Was he with us then?

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                Suzi - it's been done. I can't remember who did it (the merge) but it MIGHT have been Jake.
                Well, the splendid Jake might have done, but I know for sure that the equally splendid Septic Blue did a great aerial mapping job on modern-day "Dorset Street".
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                  Suzi - it's been done. I can't remember who did it (the merge) but it MIGHT have been Jake.
                  Well, ... Jake might have done, but I know for sure that ... Septic Blue did a great aerial mapping job on modern-day "Dorset Street".
                  That's coercion, Gareth !!!

I threw this together somewhat hastily - upon closer inspection, I realize that the overlay should be shifted approximately eighteen inches (ground-level) to the north - in response to your prod.

I still have the older Google Earth imagery that I used to plot Dorset Street, but I'm trying to work exclusively with the newer/updated imagery, so ...

Name:	912.jpg
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	653795
                  2006 Aerial; 1894 OS Overlay
                  Claret w/ White Highlight: Dorset Street / Little Paternoster Row, Christ Church Spitalfields
                  Claret w/ Gold Highlight: Miller's Court, Dorset Street, Christ Church Spitalfields

Again; upon closer inspection, I realize that the overlay should be shifted approximately eighteen inches (ground-level) to the north.

Name:	913.jpg
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	653796

The plots/colour-shadings in the following images, were based on earlier (2006) aerial analysis, in which the OS overlay was placed with much greater precision. I believe that they are very accurate approximations.

Name:	914.jpg
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	653797
                  Claret/Gold: Dorset Street / Pavement (Sidewalk)
                  Red: Approximate Location of Mary Jane Kelly's Bed/Murder

Name:	915.jpg
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	653798
                  Blue: The Britannia

Name:	916.jpg
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	653799
                  Aqua: Pathway to Miller's Court

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	653800
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2008, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Colin,

thanks for that.

Good luck Wednesday.

Peter
                    Living the Dream!

Comment

Originally posted by revpetero View Post
                      Good luck Wednesday.
                      Thanks, Peter

I guess I don't have to ask:

Blue Moon ??? Kip-Axe ??? ... and all that ???

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	653801

Comment

Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
                        Thanks, Peter

I guess I don't have to ask:

Blue Moon ??? Kip-Axe ??? ... and all that ???

Colin [ATTACH]1817[/ATTACH]
                        Absolutely
                        Living the Dream!

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                          No worries,

Google Earth shows many locations at a slight angle, so getting a handle on the widths of thoroughfares can be tricky.

Anyhow, glad you found it!! I first went there in 1982 and because it didn't have the street name on it I was totally flummoxed. Not a clue!

Incidentally, because the street line has shifted since 1888, we can now stand on the spot where Mary Kelly was discovered.

Regards
                          JB
                          I am a bit confused. I was shown a break in the curb as being the actually sight of Kelly's murder. I am not sure if that was the room (13 Millers Court) or the the actually location of 26 Dorset Street. Also there is an arch a few yards away which I was told was where the entrance to Miller's Court (as per the famous 1928 Leonard Maters phot) was.

Comment

Which end of the street?

I always thought that this photo was taken from the "West End" of Dorset Street (near #35) looking East, but is this the case? Grave Maurice informs me that some noble brothers or sisters might believe it's taken from the Miller's Court end, looking towards Crispin Street:

Calling Clack, Hutch, Jake, Septic Blue... and anyone else who might have a definitive answer!
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Living London pic

That photo, in Gareths post, is taken from Crispen st end looking east. You wouldnt see Itchy park as the buildings on the left obscure it. Confusion arises today cos people assume the current street runs along the same line as Dorset st, it doesnt, Dorset was further south, very near to the car park.

Monty

PS Ive text Rob, he will be along in a minute.
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                              X