Cotard's delusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotard's delusion

I'm currently revising my novel Severin, which has Jack the Ripper as George Chapman, alias Severin Klosowski (need to decide on a sub-title, haven't yet). I hit on a mental illness called Cotard's delusion, where the patient believes he is already dead. There's an interesting sub-type of this illness where patients think they're actually in hell. It's sort-of related to the zombie cult in Haiti.

Obviously I'm making much of the 'from hell' letter in the novel. It's an idea that Rushdie used in the Satanic Verses, and there's a book by Peter Carey where he uses it, though I can't remember the title.

I'm new to this boards & I'm getting the impression that everyone knows more about JtR than me. Has anyone else applied Cotard's to JtR?

SW

Many, many times. Now don't forget to include Chapman's boat, the Mosquito in your novel in a few places. It's the key to everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
      Many, many times. Now don't forget to include Chapman's boat, the Mosquito in your novel in a few places. It's the key to everything.
      His boat?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
        Actually could you give me a couple of references for Cotard's & JtR?

SW

Comment

Suggestion for a subtitle

Bearing in mind George Chapman's profession,as a subtitle,
          how about 'The demon barber of Whitechapel?'

Comment

Originally posted by gary View Post
            Bearing in mind George Chapman's profession,as a subtitle,
            how about 'The demon barber of Whitechapel?'
            I mention Sweeney Todd in the novel - the idea is Chapman buys his barber's shop in Cable Street from a drunken barber everybody calls 'Sweeney Todd' because, when drunk, he tends to cut people. Sweeney eventually kills himself as he's lost so many customers. It's a little sub-plot. By the way, Severin: A Tale of Jack the Ripper is now out on Kindle.

Simon Webb

Comment

Working...
            X