Cannon Street Station and its environs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannon Street Station and its environs

Cannon Street is important when considering Montague Druitt as a suspect as Andy Spalleck has pointed out previously.
    As a commuter from Blackheath to his chambers in Kings Bench walk on the embankment,he would have almost certainly have been very familiar with and most probably mostly used this most popular commuter connection which carried the South Eastern Railway across the River.Trains from this station were frequent and reliable and in London has always been regarded as the main station to link the City with South of the river.

This is Cannon street Station looking towards St Paul"s-seen in the distance
    Attached Files

Comment

This photo was taken this afternoon .I was standing with my back to Cannon Street station loooking across at St Stephen Walbrook"s Church which is next to Mansion House.[Keep that in mind re the next couple of views]
      Attached Files

Comment

I was standing in Queen Victoria Street here looking over at the Bank of England-in centre of picture.Behind it you can see the glass Gherkin which is in Houndsditch, and to the right of the Bank of England is Mansion House again which is next to St Stephen Walbrook Church that you can see in the picture above.
        Attached Files

Comment

Laurence Pountney Hill-immediately behind Cannon Street station.Its a very old square-see the Victorian letter boxes.Also once was lodged in by The Black Prince-that house burned down in the Great Fire of London.The house here are said to be the finest early 18th century houses in London.[just thought it was interesting-----its also only 200 yards from Cheapside where Kosminski walked that dog.
          Attached Files

Comment

The white buildings next to the older buildings are in King William Street.This is its junction with Cannon Street,just a little along from Cannon Street Station.Its the area known as "Monument" because the Great Fire broke out and the Monument commemorating it is just behind here.Monument is at the top of Fish Street where Mary Kelly was reputed to go fishing-------and Fish Street is opposite Billingsgate Market where Joe Barnett worked.As can be seen,none of this is far from Whitechapel----see the Gherkin above peeing up behind The Bank of England.The Gherkin is at Houndsditch which is the boundary between The City and Whitechapel.
            The other way from St Paul"s looking West, is towards Ludgate Hill and Fleet Street which is next to Kings Bench walk.No great distances these.I know Colin provided some brilliant maps on the other thread but the photos too give a reasonably good idea of how close Whitechapel is to the City of London.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Natalie Severn; 05-09-2008, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the interesting pictures Natalie.The city certainly has some lovely buildings.

Comment

Thanks Anna,I"d love to post more but they"re not exactly relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                  ----see the Gherkin above peeing up behind The Bank of England..
                  I really love your photographs Natalie. I hope this is a typo?

Comment

Working...
                  X