X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport Jack

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so please be gentle. Here goes:

So, depending on the suspect or theory, I've heard several times, with varying degrees of certainty, that there were multiple Ripper-style murders all over the globe following the canonical five. Murders in the Caribbean, Central America, the U.S., Germany, etc. Obviously the Ripper couldn't be responsible for all of them, but I haven't seen any in-depth analysis on any of them. I don't recall which documentaries from which I've heard this, but it's always just a cursory mention, e.g. "We know there were similar murders in such-and-such place and so-and-so suspect was known to have traveled to this country or region." And that's it! No follow-up investigation or proof. Well, with the exception of the Carrie Brown murder, which seems pretty unconvincing to me--at least in regard to attributing it to the Whitechapel murderer.

I know I've read on this site, regarding the Nicaraguan crimes at least, that at least one contemporary newspaper believed the story to have been a hoax perpetrated by Scotland Yard in hopes of somehow flushing out the real Jack the Ripper--though, now I'm even having a hard time finding that.

What is the general consensus on his possibly fleeing England for any of these countries? And is there anywhere one could read more about these crimes? Thank you in advance!

Hi Chimi,

Very interesting first post and great name! I'd say the 'general consensus' on Jack, if there is such a thing, is that he was a local man. But that is by no means a fact, so if you believe in your research and enjoy it, then by all means keep at it. Some of the better suspects did, in fact, travel outside of London, so anything is possible.

On another note, I imagine there WILL BE a general consensus among us Casebookers that we'd love to see that article mentioning something I've suspected for some time - that Scotland Yard placed articles in newspapers in order to flush out witnesses and/or suspects. If you find that article, please share it with us.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
      Hi Chimi,

Very interesting first post and great name! I'd say the 'general consensus' on Jack, if there is such a thing, is that he was a local man. But that is by no means a fact, so if you believe in your research and enjoy it, then by all means keep at it. Some of the better suspects did, in fact, travel outside of London, so anything is possible.

On another note, I imagine there WILL BE a general consensus among us Casebookers that we'd love to see that article mentioning something I've suspected for some time - that Scotland Yard placed articles in newspapers in order to flush out witnesses and/or suspects. If you find that article, please share it with us.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      http://www.casebook.org/press_report...an/890213.html

Found it! That's the one I was referring to. A newspaper from South Dakota, though, so I don't know how much stock to put into it.

Comment

Hi Chimi, thanks for that. Unless you know something about South Dakota pressmen that I don't, I wouldn't rule it out just because it's not a London paper. The American papers often had London sources, or they subscribed to press associations that got their info locally. I'm sure you've notice that the lion's share of info available on Tumblety and his Ripper connection comes from American papers, because the London papers apparently had a gag order of some sort on them.

Regarding the theory presented in the article, it makes perfect sense to me. I've entertained the idea that the Schwartz story as reported in the Star newspaper was spoon-fed them by the police, mistakes and all, in order to get Pipeman to come forward to clear himself.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
        X