Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New witness link , Possibly

Hello All ,

I have a quick tale to pass on , maybe its Nothing , but then again .. at the very most i guess it could be an interesting link to check out . i did have a go myself but came up with nothing ..but i am sure there are alot better detectives on here than Me ..

I was just recently in a London pub chatting with a good friend of my dad . Who, back in the day used to be a young man in a small firm ( gang) around the Hoxton , Murry grove area ( central , East London ) . After chatting about the old East End and the Ripper murders , He told me that on occasions his little firm were Visited by Ronnie Kray , and asked to run errand's across the water ( South London ) to another firm . He told me that on one occasion he and his pals ended up in a pub in bermondsey or somewhere close by, having a few beers with the south London firm . He went on to say that one of the brothers in this firm after a few beers started ranting on about his family having their roots in the East End .. And that their Granddad John was even a Main witness at one of the Jack the Rippers murders .The Name of the Gang was the Richardsons .

I will admit that the conversation we was having was the hanbury street murder and my disbelief of some of the witnesses .. in particular John Richardson . at which point he stopped me in my tracks, and matter of faculty told me " that was Charlie Richardsons Grandad ". And then followed through with how he came to hear it.

Now i know that nearly everyone in the East End (of a certain age) has a Ripper tale to tell .. But for the life of me i cant see my Dad's pal Telling me porky's ( Pork pies =lies ) Maybe the Original teller was expressing a certain amount of creative licence ? to get his point across , i really don't know but i did think it worthy of a mention on here .

And i'm also pretty sure its easy to prove or diprove it in a heartbeat. Especially given the Internet tools and the wise fools ( that was a mistake , but i like it, so i'm leaving it in ) we have at our disposal .

cheers all

moonbegger .

Ps .. if it turns out to be pony ( Pony and trap = Crap ) [ Thomas Crapper ] please dont shoot the Messenger

Hi Moonbegger,

It's certainly an interesting story. It's a pity the census records subsequent to 1911 aren't available, as their publication would make it so much easier to check. John Richardson is said to have been about 35 at the time of the Chapman inquest I think, & was still living with his mother? It's possible he could have been Charlie's grandfather, but I would have thought great grandfather would be a better fit for the timeline.

Regards, Bridewell.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
      John Richardson is said to have been about 35 at the time of the Chapman inquest I think, & was still living with his mother?
      Hi Bridewell. John Richardson gave his address at the inquest as Number 2 John Street. By the 1891 census, he was no longer there - http://www.census1891.com/johnstfull.htm
      - Ginger

Comment

Working...
      X