Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall-Mills Murders 1922 New Jersey

The Hall-Mills Murder case:

If you like to read unsolved murders, here's one for you that even inspired the writing of the Great Gatsby. Unsolved as yet, I think the best book written about it, (of which there are only two, and one pending, is Fatal Tryst by Gerald Tomlinson.

From Wikipedia:

The Hall-Mills murder case involved an Episcopal priest and a member of his choir with whom he was having an affair, who were killed on September 14, 1922, in New Brunswick, New Jersey. The suspected murderers, the priest's wife and her brothers, were acquitted in a 1926 trial. The case is largely remembered in journalism history for the vast extent and sensational nature of the newspaper coverage it received in nearby New York and nationwide. It would take the Lindbergh kidnapping trial in the 1930s to eclipse the high profile of the Hall-Mills murder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall%E2...ls_murder_case

"It's good to see a new book and a new slant on the notorious Hall-Mills murder case of the 1920s. Younger readers aren't likely to know about the Hall-Mills double homicide, but it was an O.J.-level sensation at the time, seventy-some years ago. A popular married minister and an attractive married choir singer were caught and killed in an adulterous embrace, an event that kept American journalists' pens and readers' tongues wagging for months on end. Frederick Lewis Allen in his classic book on the 1920s, "Only Yesterday," calls Hall-Mills the "crime of the decade." In Fatal Tryst," a new and compelling book on the case, Tomlinson retells the Hall-Mills story with verve and crystalline clarity. He included material not found in William M Kunstler's 1964 retelling, including contemporary observations by Damon Runyon, Dorothy Dix, and Ishbel Ross; later reflections by James Thurber and Rex Stout; and the 1970 revelations (if such they were) of Julius Bolyog, a self-proclaimed friend of Willie Stevens, one of the defendants tried and acquitted of the murders. Tomlinson's solution is more plausible than Kunstler's and makes more sense than any alternative that comes to mind or that was suggested at the time. The author's explanation ties up most of the loose ends in the case. Tomlinson does an exemplary job of supporting a theory of the unsolved crime with facts, incidents,and that elusive commodity, common sense. And what an assortment of characters the tale presents!: the prevaricating Pig Woman, the eccentric Willie Stevens, the hypocritical Ralph Gorsline, the cocky Alexander Simpson -- a Russian novel hardly offers more varied specimens of humanity. Is the author right in his penultimate chapter? Does he finger the killer? Who knows? He seems to be on the right track." Written by simply a customer, who read this book.

Both lovers found under the crabapple tree they met secretly at, laying on the ground, obviously positions were arranged by someone after their death.

"Both were shot in the head. The man once and the woman three times. Her wounds were under the right eye, over the right temple, and over the right ear, with an exit wound in the back of her skull. He had been shot over the right ear, with an exit wound in the back of his neck, as if someone had shot him from above.

The feet of both were pointing toward the crab apple tree, and the womans head rested on the mans right arm, as if posed that way for some macabre reason. The woman wore a blue dress with red polka dots, black silk stockings and brown oxfords, with her blue velvet hat dumped beside her body. Her left hand rested on the mans right knee, and a brown silk scarf, soaked in blood, was wound around her throat. The mans face was covered by a Panama hat, but they could see he wore glasses. Just under the hats rim, it was clear that the glasses were spotted. His right hand was extended partly under the dead womans shoulder and neck, and their clothes were perfectly in order. Scattered pieces of torn paper, which turned out to be letters and cards, lay between them. The womans hat lay off to her right. The strangest thing was a small card leaning against the heel of the mans left shoe, obviously placed there by whomever had killed these two. It was speckled with something, either fly droppings or blood. The grass around them was trampled."
    Attached Files

That is certainly a major classic case. The first I heard of it was in the old HBO Whodunit? program like maybe 30 or so years ago.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I've heard of this one. I think it was the subject of a show on Crime and Investigation channel a couple of years ago.

Or I could have read about it in the Murder Casebook series.

An interesting case though.
      This is simply my opinion

Comment

Hi all, I have a large book on this case that's not entitled 'Fatal Tryst', so I think there are two books on it. The one I have is easily 40 years old, so it's not the new one that Beowulf mentions. It claims the KKK were behind the murders.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I'm about 80% that the police had the right people. They just couldn't close the deal in court.

Stan Reid

Comment

Kicking around in the basement (with so much other stuff) is William Kunstler's book on the murders. He wrote it as a pot boiler before he became the attorney of choice for the radical left. He blamed the KKK (he would, wouldn't he?). Years later when he showed up on campus at Columbia in support of something I tried to get him to autograph my copy and he would have nothing to do with the idea -- or the book.
            "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Hi guys.

The Crime Library has a pretty good article on this murder, complete with the tale told by 'the Pig Lady': http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/n...y/mills/1.html

Best regards,
              Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                I'm about 80% that the police had the right people. They just couldn't close the deal in court.
                I'm with you. However, I didn't mention it because I thought if people read the book they'd find it interesting and come up with their own theories.

I have read "The Hall-Mills murders" by Kuntzler. He's a lawyer all right, it's a fascinating case but he manages to make it tedious and boring.

Last year we went to NJ (my husbands parents are from there) and went to the murder site, now a neighborhood. Mrs. Hall's house is part of the NJ campus of Rutgers. The house the Halls lived in is now the Deans Residence on Rutgers. Mrs. Hall was a wealthy socialite BEFORE she met the Reverend, I photographed the heck out of it for a possible future painting.

It has been kept up oh so nicely because of being the Deans residence. Kind of a nice thing, I think If I find anyone would like to see it I will put the pic up. It is in the books in black and white from 1922.
                Last edited by Beowulf; 05-29-2012, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf
                  Unsolved as yet, I think the best book written about it, (of which there are only two, and one pending, is Fatal Tryst by Gerald Tomlinson.
                  I just looked on Amazon and was reminded why I don't yet own a copy of 'Fatal Tryst' ($155 new!). The only upcoming book on the case is just another of those tiresome comic book treatments by Rick Geary. Are you aware of another scholarly book on the case coming down the pike?

Don,

I thought Kuntsler did a good job with his book. I wonder why he'd disavow it? He sure didn't mind cashing those checks from the multiple editions published!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    I just looked on Amazon and was reminded why I don't yet own a copy of 'Fatal Tryst' ($155 new!). The only upcoming book on the case is just another of those tiresome comic book treatments by Rick Geary. Are you aware of another scholarly book on the case coming down the pike?

Don,

I thought Kuntsler did a good job with his book. I wonder why he'd disavow it? He sure didn't mind cashing those checks from the multiple editions published!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                    It is possible to get Fatal Tryst for 35.00 on occasion, which is pretty darned expensive for a paperback.

The reason I think that is expensive is because after all, you are no longer paying the publisher, and I'm sure the author is getting nothing out of it. I did recommend it for Kindle, (if that goes anywhere).

Comment

The Hall home as it was then and as it is now. This is where the Reverend lived, and what he gave up for Mrs. Mills.

The home is considered a mansion.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Has anybody else read Bill James' book Popular Crime? He thought that Mrs. Mills husband was the likely killer and that his alibi was weak. I don't remember now what kind of alibi he had, but it does seem odd that he wasn't the focus of the investigation.

By the way, I remember that Whodunit program. That's the first time I heard of this case. I remember it as being very creepy. I slept with the lights on for a while after seeing it.
                        Last edited by kidtwist; 06-01-2012, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                          That is certainly a major classic case. The first I heard of it was in the old HBO Whodunit? program like maybe 30 or so years ago.
                          It was also the only case on that program that I hadn't heard of previously.

I then read James Thurber's account (A Sort of Genius) selected by Richard Glyn Jones in Unsolved! classic true murder cases 1987.
                          Last edited by sdreid; 06-02-2012, 01:05 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by kidtwist View Post
                            Has anybody else read Bill James' book Popular Crime? He thought that Mrs. Mills husband was the likely killer and that his alibi was weak. I don't remember now what kind of alibi he had, but it does seem odd that he wasn't the focus of the investigation.

By the way, I remember that Whodunit program. That's the first time I heard of this case. I remember it as being very creepy. I slept with the lights on for a while after seeing it.
                            From the Kunstler book, The Hall-Mills Murder Case:

Mills, who was quickly classified by reporters as a mild mannered simpleton, did not share the general consensus that his wife and Hall had been having a love affair since late 1919. "I can't explain," he said naively, "why he and my wife were together there or wherever else they must have been, unless it was to talk over some church matters."

At five forty-five on the afternoon of the murders, Thursday, September 14, he had dropped in at St. John's, he told Prosecutor Beekman, to sweep up wood shavings left by the carpenters who had been repaneling the vestibule of the Sunday school room. Because the sweeping had taken a little longer than he expected, Mills had not returned home until six fifteen. "You are later for your supper," Eleanor had complained.

...... Admin note: Several paragraphs have been cut in order to comply with Copyright policy. Please refer to the link below to read the missing text:

On Saturday, September 16, 1922, the bodies of Edward Hall, a handsome Episcopal rector, and Eleanor Mills, his choir singer and lover, were found near a lovers' lane in New Jersey. Four years later, the minister's widow and her brothers were tried for the murders and acquitted. Renowned criminal lawyer William M. Kunstler tells the tale.

At eight thrity that morning Mills had gone to the church. As he was opening the windows in the rector's study, Mrs. Hall had entered the room. "She says to me, 'Good morning, Mr. Mills.' I said, 'Good morning, Mrs. Hall.' She said, 'Did you have any sickness in your home last night?' I said, 'My wife did not come home all night.' And as something cropped up, I said, 'Do you think that they eloped?' And she said, 'God knows, I think they are dead and can't come home.'"

Bottom left to right, Mr. Mills, Mrs. Mills, Mrs. Hall, Mr. Hall
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Admin; 06-13-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Hall_Mills Murders 1922 New Jersey

I read William Kunstler's book ages ago. He thought maybe the KKK was somehow invovled in the murders. However, reading the except from the book you posted, I wonder if Mrs.Hall was invovled in their deaths after all.
                              Why would she ask if there was sickness in Mr.Mill's family that night,why even make the statement that she thought they were dead somewhere. How would she even know that they were dead. I would have thought maybe my husband might have been with a sick parishioner,and Mrs. Mills was helping take care of the person,because my husband asked her for help. I wouldn't automatically assume either one was dead. Now, if he didn't come home after two or three days,then I would of course call police and report him as missing.
                              But to say right off the bat they're dead, sounds suspecious to me.
                              Last edited by HollyDolly; 06-13-2012, 07:21 PM. Reason: forgot a letter K in KKK

Comment

Working...
                              X