Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sounds of Victorian London: BBC Radio Series:

Hi everyone.

Here's an interesting BBC radio series devoted to "Soundscapes of the Past." This one presents "the acoustical world of Dickens' London."

There are 5 sub-programs at the link below. They present the sounds of:

1. The Victorian Street,
    2. Victorian Occupations (such as Billingsgate fish auctions, musical butchers, & costermongers)
    3. The Victorian Home,
    4. The Docks,
    5. Victorian Entertainment.

BBC Radio 'Sounds of Victorian London': http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/...our_ears.shtml

Now I need to check out their other 'soundscapes'.
    - Enjoy!
    Archaic

Hi Archaic,

thanks for sharing, quite interesting, even though I wish they would talk less and come up with more sounds/soundscapes. Still enjoyable to listen to.

Regards,

Boris
    ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

I wish they would talk less and come up with more sounds/soundscapes.
      I quite agree !
      http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Other Soundscapes Programs In the Series?

Hi guys.

The webpage says this is the third show in a series of "soundscapes of the past" presented by Fiona Shaw. I've tried searching for the others using various search terms, but haven't been able to locate them. I'm wondering if they aren't still in the archive due to their age.

Have any of you had any luck locating them? If so, could you post a link?

- By the way, how'd you like the Victorian Cleaver & Marrow Bone Orchestra?

Thanks,
        Archaic

Comment

I find I can't PM you archaic. Maybe because I rarely post here? Or maybe because of some setting on your side? I don't know.
          I can't find the other 2 series but have something you might be interested in. Can you PM me?
          Last edited by Ozzy; 06-03-2012, 04:01 PM. Reason: First post not complete.
          These are not clues, Fred.
          It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
          They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
          And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
          We will not.

Comment

I forgot to add, and I can't edit the first post now, some info on the other 2 series.
            The first was set in Shakespeare's time and the second in the time of the Roman Empire.

This site in the link is missing a lot of stuff but it still has thousands of entries and is very handy. Here's the page on the Lend me your Ears series.
            http://www.radiolistings.co.uk/progr...your_ears.html
            And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
            We will not.

Comment

The Magic Number

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
              I find I can't PM you archaic. Maybe because I rarely post here? Or maybe because of some setting on your side? I don't know.
              I can't find the other 2 series but have something you might be interested in. Can you PM me?
              Hi, Ozzy,

I've just checked and I believe your PM account activates after you have posted 25 times. If it doesn't work at that point, I suggest you contact Admin in case the rules have changed.

Regards, Bridewell.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Thanks Bridewell. I tend to be a lurker here since I found the site around 2000. I probably haven't posted more than 10 times. At this rate it will be around 2030 that I reach 25 posts!
                We will not.

Comment

Hi Ozzy, I just saw your post.

I'm not sure if I can PM you when you have less than 25 posts, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks for posting that link. I'd love to listen to the shows it lists! But that webpage doesn't have live links; do you know where I can find the live links?

Sometimes it's hard to access BBC stuff from the U.S., but it's usual video that is blocked; radio seems to be more accessible.

Thanks very much for your help,
                  Archaic

Comment

Hi Ozzy.

I was unable to PM you.

Do you have more information about the radio programs that you can post?

Thanks,
                    Archaic

Comment

The radiolistings site is just a list. If you're like me, a collector of such shows, the site is a wonderful resource.
                      I'm only on 15 posts so I have just set up an email account. If it gets spammed so be it. Send me an email so I can reply to you, if you're OK with that.
                      After all this I just hope it's worth your while.
                      ozzyATlinuxmailDOTorg
                      We will not.

Comment

Working...
                      X