Photographs of Druitt - A Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographs of Druitt - A Question

Can someone clear up a point for me please?
    How many known photos of M J Druitt are there?
    The two well known ones in the Photo Archive are
    a) The Head and shoulders shot with wide necktie and white collar and
    b) The pensive shot of him at a desk reading a book
    However, I am sure that I have seen a third in which he is wearing some sort of peaked sporting cap and his moustache, though slight, is much more visible.

What brought this to mind was a passage in the Dan Farson book which I was looking at today. This reads as follows:
    "Druitt appears in various college groups in the seventies and the photograph of the Winchester First XI in 1876 is reproduced in this book." The paperback copy of the book I have does not include the photo.
    Does anyone have a copy of it, and is it this team shot the photo which fits the description I mentioned above with a peaked cap?
    Farson says "various college groups" suggesting a number of Winchester photos with Druitt in - has anyone seen these?
    Many thanks for any help
    Chris

Hi Chris,
    Ripper Suspect, the secret lives of MJ Druitt has another shot of Druitt.

It is showing him in the 1876 Winchester XI lineup, which is copywrite of Provost amd Fellows of Winchester College.
    Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Mike
      From the sound of it this must be the one that Farson included in his book
      Many thanks
      Chris

Comment

Wasn't J. K. Stephen in that picture as well?
        "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

And isn't Druitt a dead-ringer for the Duke of Clarence??

Cheers,

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi BillyE

Other members of the group include,
            JA Fort,
            AH Rooper,
            FS Baines,
            WHB Bird,
            WR Sheldon,
            SJ Wilson,
            WA Thornton,
            J Eyre,
            AW Moon,
            RBA Prichard,
            And
            MJ Druitt.

In the same book is a picture of JK Stephen with the Duke Of Clarence, and other "Apostles"
            Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Chris,
              This is from Don Rumbelow"s book, The Complete JtR.Its a poor copy as its a photo,taken of a photo in a low light.However, Monty in his cricket gear is on the left and he is possibly wearing a deer stalker hat-I say "possibly" because the deerstalker has a peak,back and front and in this picture you cant see whether there is a peak at the back.The photo on the right,as seen in Don"s book, is of the Duke of Clarence.He is in shooting [deer] gear so I reckon he is definitely sporting a deer stalker!
              Cheers
              Norma
              Attached Files

Comment

Oh Deer!

I also have in my possession several pictures of the Duke Of Clarence in "Deer Huntin gear" from when he visited Tranby Croft, on the outskirts of Hull.

He has the very same stick too!!
                Regards Mike

Comment

Hmmm... going back over my collection of pictures, all either in books, or my computer, the picture of J. K. Stephen I was thinking of was of him in a sporting uniform, but not in the same picture as Druitt. My mistake. Sorry. :-D
                  "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                    Oh Deer!

I also have in my possession several pictures of the Duke Of Clarence in "Deer Huntin gear" from when he visited Tranby Croft, on the outskirts of Hull.

He has the very same stick too!!
                    Hi Mike.

Wasn't Tranby Croft (now a conference centre, I believe) where The Prince Of Wales, later King Edward VII, got himself involved in some dirty dealing at cards which resulted in a major Society scandal? Some rotter accused of cheating, was it? If I remember correctly, the game being played was baccarat, which for some reason not known to non-gambling and ultra-pure little me was illegal in England at the time.

Cheers,

Graham
                    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Billy
                      Here is a comparison between the two
                      Attached Files

Comment

That would be right Graham, worse still the illegal game was played on the sabbath and it was alleged Major William Gordon Cumming was cheating, when confronted he is alleged to have stated it was a new method of play!

I am reading "The Royal Baccarat Scandal" by the RT Hon. Michael Havers, Edward Grayson, and Peter Shankland. It is a fantastic book, with loads of great details.

Another fine book to feature the scandal is "The Wilson's of Tranby Croft" which covers the family who once owned the estate, during the time of the scandal.
                        Regards Mike

Comment

I think this is the Stephen pic you mentioned
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I also recall that HRH was called to give evidence or else, which must have chuffed the dissipated old bugger immensely!

Hi Chris,

My God, Druitt and Clarence could be twins! Now then - what I wonder could possibly be made of that? Unless it's just pure coincidence, of course...

Cheers,

Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                              I think this is the Stephen pic you mentioned
                              Chris,

That pair in front look like they could both have committed murder and pissed themselves laughing while they did it.

Graham

Comment

Working...
                              X