Kelly Inquest - The Scotsman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Inquest - The Scotsman

I am in the process of transcribing the Scotsman account of the Kelly inquest. This is by far the fullest version I have read and has many little comments that I have not seen before. I will post here in sections and the whole thing will be in the Press Reports section
    I hope this is of interest
    Chris

Section 1 deals with the preliminaries and Barnett's testimony:

Kelly Inquest
    The Scotsman
    13 November 1888

The Whitechapel Murder

Inquest and Verdict.

The inquest into the cause of the death of Mary Janet Kelly, who was found with her throat cut and horribly mutilated in Miller's Court, Dorset Street, Whitechapel, London, was opened yesterday, at eleven o'clock, in the Shoreditch Town Hall, before Dr. McDonald and a jury of fifteen. On the names being called over, the officer asked the jury to name their foreman. One was named, but he objected on the ground that the crime was not committed in Shoreditch, but in Whitechapel.
    The Coroner - Do you think, sir, we do not know our business as to where our jurisdiction runs? The jury have no business to object. If you persist in your objection, I know how to deal with you - that is all.
    Another Juryman - I am on the list for Shoreditch, and not for Whitechapel.
    The Coroner - I am not going to discuss the matter of jurisdiction with the jury at all. The body lies in my jurisdiction. That is all I know; and all I have to say is - jurisdiction arises where the body lies.
    The Officer repeated his request several times, and one or two who were named refused to act as foreman. But at length one consented. He was accordingly sworn, and then the jury went to view the body.
    The Coroner directed that they should afterwards be taken to see the place where the body was found.
    Inspectors Nairn and Abberline appeared on behalf of the police, but no one represented the deceased. The Court was held in a small committee room on the ground floor, and one altogether inadequate to the purpose of so important an inquiry. Upon the return of the jury at noon the taking of evidence commenced.

Joseph Barnett was the first witness called, and after some trouble he was found and entered the Court. Upon the Testament being handed to him, he at once kissed it, and on being checked by the officer, said, "Oh, well, I don't know nothing about such things. I've never been on such an errand before."
    The oath was then administered.
    The Coroner said, before commencing, he had to request that there should be complete silence in the Court. With regard to what the newspapers had said about the jurisdiction, he had not had any communication with Dr. Baxter as to jurisdiction. There was no doubt at all it was his duty to hold the inquest. A previous murder which took place occurred in his jurisdiction, but the body was taken into the district over which Dr. Baxter had direction, and he of course held the inquest. There was no question whatever as to his right to hold the inquiry.
    Joseph Barnett then deposed - I was originally a fish porter, but now I am a labourer. I work at the river-side and carry fish. I lived up to Saturday last at 24 New Street, Bishopsgate. Since Saturday last I have been staying at my sister's, who lives at 21 Portpool Lane, Leather Lane. I have lived with the deceased for a year and eight months. Her name was Marie Jeanette Kelly. Kelly was her maiden name. I have seen the body of the deceased, and I identify it by the hair and eyes. I am positive that the deceased was the woman with whom I lived, and that her name was Marie.
    Q. - How long have you lived with her at 13 Room, Miller's Court?
    A. - About eight months, but the landlord says it is more.
    When did you cease to live with her?
    Last Tuesday week, the 30th ult.
    Why did you leave her?
    Because she took in an immoral woman out of compassion. My being out of work had nothing to do with it.
    When did you see her last?
    About seven on Thursday evening.
    Were you and she on friendly terms?
    Yes, very friendly. We were always good friends.
    Did you have a drink together?
    No, sir.
    Was she quite sober?
    She was.
    Was she generally speaking of sober habits?
    As long as she was with me and had my hard earned wages she was sober.
    Did she get drunk occasionally?
    Occasionally, yes; in my eyesight once or twice.
    Did she tell you where she was born?
    Yes, hundreds of times. She said she was born in Limerick, and went to Wales when quite young. Then she told me her father was named John Kelly, and was a "gaffer" at some ironworks. I don't know whether she said Carnarvonshire or Carmarthenshire.
    Did she tell you anything about her other relatives, sisters and others?
    Yes. She told me about her sister, who was respectable and lived with her aunt, following her occupation. That was going from place to place selling things. But I never saw any of her relatives.
    (Witness spoke with a stutter, and evidently laboured under great emotion.)
    She said there were six of them at home, and one was in the army. I have never seen or spoken to them.
    Did she say she had been married?
    Yes, but she was very young at the time. The marriage took place in Wales. She told me that she was married to a collier in Wales, and his name was Davis or Davies.
    Did she tell you how long she lived with him?
    Until he met his death in an explosion. She did not tell me the exact time she lived with him, but it might have been a year or two. She said she married Davies at the age of 16.
    She told you that she came to London about four years ago?
    Yes, she did.
    Was that directly after her husband's death?
    After her husband's death she went to Cardiff, with a cousin.
    What was she doing in Cardiff?
    She was carrying on with her cousin in a bad life. As I told her, it was her downfall.
    When did she come to London?
    About four years ago.
    What did she do when she came to London?
    She lived in a house at the West End - a gay house, with a madam.
    How long did she live there?
    As far as she described it to me, a few weeks. Then some gentleman asked her to go to France, and she went; but, as she described it to me, she didn't like it, and came back in about a week or two's time.
    Did she tell you the name of the place in France?
    She told me; but she did not remain long, as she did not like it.
    Did she live in France long?
    No; about a fortnight. She came back as she did not like it.
    When she returned from France, where did she tell you she lived?
    In the Ratcliffe Highway.
    Do you know how long she lived there?
    She must have lived there for some time.
    After that where did she live?
    Near the Commercial Gasworks, with a man named Morganstone. I have never seen him. I don't know how long she lived there. When she left the neighbourhood of the gasworks, she went to live, I think, as far as I can remember, at Pennington Street. She lived with another man named Joseph Fleming; but why she left him I don't know. She described him as a mason's plasterer.
    Did she tell you where Fleming lived?
    Somewhere in the Bethnal Green Road.
    Was that all that you knew of her history until you came to live with her?
    She told me her history while I was living with her.
    Who lived with her before you?
    I cannot answer whether it was Morganstone or Fleming.
    Where did you first pick up with her?
    In the parish of Spitalfields, or Whitechapel.
    Did you go to live with her the first time you saw her?
    We had a drink together, and then we made arrangements to meet on the Saturday.
    What did you arrange on the Saturday?
    On Saturday we agreed to come together - to keep with one another.
    Did you take a house then at once?
    No; but we took lodgings.
    Have you lived with her ever since?
    Yes, ever since, until we parted quite friendly before her murder.
    Did she have any fear about any one?
    No, not particular; but she used to ask me to read about the murders, and I used to bring them all home and read them. If I did not bring one, she would get it herself and ask me whether the murderer was caught. I used to tell her everything as what was in the papers.
    Did she go in fear of any particular individual?
    No, sir; only with me now and again, and that was always shortly over - one moment rowing, and for days and weeks always friendly. Often I bought her things coming home, and, whatever it was, she always liked it. She was always glad of my fetching her such articles, such as meat and other things, as my hard earnings would allow.
    The Coroner (no juryman desiring to ask a question) told the witness not to leave the precincts of the Court, and said he had given his evidence very well.

..."until we parted quite friendly before her murder." That seems a little strange. I wonder if he was attempting to deflect suspicion away from himself.

c.d.

Comment

...and she only went in fear of Barnett now and again and that was always shortly over. In other words he thumped her on occasion. I love that he makes sure the jury knows why they broke up. His being out of work had nothing to do with it!!

Thanks so much, Chris, for this!

Comment

Thomas Bowyer (sworn) - I live at 37 Dorset Street, Spitalfields. I am a servant to M'Carthy, the owner of a chandler's shop. I serve in the shop. The shop is situated at 27 Dorset Street.
        The Coroner - Will you tell the jury quietly and slowly what occurred on this Friday morning?
        Witness - About a quarter to eleven on Friday morning I was ordered by M'Carthy to go to Mary Jane's room (No. 13). I did so.
        What were you going to do there?
        I went for the rent. I knocked at the door, and I received no answer. I knocked again, but got no answer. I went round the corner by the gutter spout, where there is a small pane of glass broken in the large window. There was a curtain before the window which covered both windows. I pulled the curtain aside and looked in.
        What did you see?
        I saw two lumps of flesh lying on the table.
        Where was this table?
        In front of the bed, and close against. The second time I looked in I saw the body of somebody lying on the bed, and blood on the floor. I at once then went very quietly back to my master and I told him what I had seen . "Good God," he said, "do you mean to say that, Harry?" We both went down to the police station. We told the police what we had seen. No one in the neighbourhood knew what had occurred. Nobody was in the shop. He came back with the inspector. I often "see" the woman in and out there. I knew the last witness, Joe. I have seen the deceased under the influence of drink once.
        By a Juror - I saw her last alive on Wednesday afternoon in the court. Mr. M'Carthy's shop is at the corner of the court. I spoke to her on Wednesday afternoon.

John M'Carthy (sworn) - I am a grocer and lodging house keeper. My shop is No. 27 Dorset Street. On Friday morning, about 10.30, I sent Bowyer to No. 13 to call for rent. He went there, and he came back. The court is called Miller's Court. The man came back in five minutes. He said, "Governor, I knocked at the door, and can't make any one answer. I looked through the 'winder' and saw a lot of blood." I went out with him, looked through the window, and saw the woman and everything. I couldn't speak at first, but at last I said, "Harry, don't tell any one. Go for the police." I knew deceased as Mary Jane Kelly. I have seen her alive, and dead, and have no doubt about her identity. I recovered myself and went with Bowyer to the Commercial Street Police Station. I saw Inspector Beck, and told him what I had seen. He put on his hat and coat, and went to the house with me at once.
        How long has the deceased lived in this room?
        About ten months.
        With this man Joe?
        Yes. I did no concern myself. I did not know whether they were married or not. They had a row some time ago, and broke two panes of glass. The bed, tables, and chairs in the room belonged to me, and the bedclothes and everything. She paid 4s 6d a week for the room. The deceased was 29s in arrear of rent. The rent was paid weekly. I often saw the deceased the worse for drink. She was not reeling about, but she was noisy when under the influence of drink. She was not helpless, and was able to walk about. She was an exceptionally quiet woman, but when in drink she was noisy, and I could tell that she had been drinking.

Comment

Hi CD
          Originally posted by c.d. View Post
          ..."until we parted quite friendly before her murder."
          That phrase (among others) seemed to ring a bell, so I checked. It appears that the Scotsman subscribed to the same press agents as the Morning Advertiser. Check the latter's account of the inquest in its 14th November edition, which has almost identical wording throughout.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting this, by the way. I'd be really interested to see if/where/how the accounts in both papers diverge.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Mary Ann Cox was the first of the female witnesses called.
            She said - I live at the last house at the top of the court - Miller's Court. I am a widow and get a living on the streets. I've been unfortunate. On Thursday night, at 11.45, I last saw the deceased. She was very intoxicated. There was short, stout man, shabbily dressed, with her, who had a pot of ale in his hand. He had a round, black billycock hat and a full carrotty moustache. The chin was bare. I followed them up the court, and said, "Good night, Mary." She never turned round, and he banged the door. He had nothing but a quart can of beer in his hand. She said, "Good night. I'm going to have a song." Then the door was shut, and she sang "The violet I plucked from my mother's grave when a boy." I remained a quarter of an hour in my room. She was singing all the time. I went out, returned about one o'clock, and she was singing then. I went into my room to warm my hands a bit. It was raining hard then. I went out again, and returned at 3.10 a.m. Then the light was out, and there was no noise. I went in, but could not sleep and did not go to bed. I can't sleep when I owe anything. When the murder was discovered I had not had a wink of sleep. I had no sleep at all that day. There are men who go to work in Spitalfields Market, and who leave early. Once such man lives in the court now. I heard a man go out at 6.15. He might have gone out and come back again, for all I know. It might have been a policeman. The man who was with Kelly when I saw them was short and stout. All his clothes were dark. He appeared to be between 35 and 26. I did not notice the colour of his trousers. All his clothes were dark. The man looked very shabby; but his boots made no noise whatever in going into the court. The deceased had no hat on. I did not notice that the deceased was the worse drink until I said "Good night" to her. She scarcely had time to say "Good night," as the man shut the door.
            By a juror - There was a light in the room, but I could not see anything, as the blind was down.
            The Foreman - Should you know the man again if you saw him?
            Witness - Oh, yes, I should.
            By the Coroner - I feel certain that of there had been a cry of "Murder" in the deceased's room after three o'clock in the morning, I should have heard it. There was not the least sign of any noise whatever. I have often seen the deceased the worse for drink.

Elizabeth Prater, wife of William Prater - I was deserted by my husband five years ago. I live at No. 20 in Miller's Court. On Thursday I went out of the court about five, and I returned close upon one on Friday morning. I stood at the corner of the court waiting for a young man. I never saw my young man. I went into my room and lay down. I went into M'Carthy's shop.
            The Coroner - Was it open at 1 a.m.?
            Witness - Yes, sir, and sometimes later. I told him to say to my young man that I had gone to my room. From where I was I could see if a light was in the room of the deceased. I have only spoken to her once or twice. I lay down on the bed at 1.30 in my clothes. I fell asleep directly, because I had been having something to drink, and slept soundly. I had a little black kitten which used to come on to my neck. It woke me up from 3.30 to 4 by coming on to my face, and I gave it a blow and knocked it off. The lights were out in the lodging house. The cat went on to the floor, and that moment I heard, "Oh! Murder!" I was then turning round on my bed. The voice was a faintish one, as though some one had woke up with a nightmare. Such a cry is not unusual, and I did not take any particular notice. I did not hear the cry a second time. I did not hear any bed or table being pulled about. I went to sleep and was awakened about five o'clock. I woke myself. I was not awakened by any noise. I went downstairs and saw some men harnessing their horses. I walked out, and went into the Ten Bells public house, where I had some rum. The last witness (Mary Ann Cox) could have come down the court and gone out, but I did not see her. I saw no one particular at the Ten Bells. I was there at a quarter to six, and shortly afterwards I returned home again, and went to bed and slept till eleven o'clock on Friday morning. When I went home first at half past one, there was no singing going on in the deceased's room. If there had been, I should have heard it.

Comment

Certainly is an interesting version Chris, thanks.

Obviously Barnett is downplaying Marys drinking, as Mary Ann and McCarthy knew she liked to drink, but I was taken by how he alludes to his earning potential a few times, like he did ok by her when he could, and she'd get excited by his just bringing meat in... when he could. He, just like John Kelly at Kates inquest, attempts to portray the relationship as a "partnership", and as a quiet couple.....John Kelly says they went to bed together most every night early....and yet doesnt miss Kate until Tuesday...and Joe B says that Mary only drank once or twice...and was ecstatic over veal chops as gifts. This partnership idea ..as in "we decided we'd get along with each other"...not as a romance....did you hear him say once he ever loved Mary?...sounds like a congenial common-law relationship for practical reasons.

I dont believe that if Barnett was involved, it was a crime of passion. Maybe more of practicality or necessity.

Keep it coming Chris...Im looking forward to this version of Abberline's remarks.

Cheers.

Comment

Note that M'Carthy says they broke TWO panes of glass, which would mean that the photo in the 13 Millers Court thread does show the lower pane broken, or if it doesn't, it's not contemporary after all.

Comment

Caroline Maxwell, of 14 Dorset Street, wife of Henry Maxwell, said - My husband is a lodging house deputy. I have known the deceased for about four months. I also know Joe Barnett. I believe the deceased was an unfortunate girl. She was a young woman who never associated with any one much, beyond bowing "Good morning."
                  The Coroner - You must be very careful about your evidence, because it is different to that given by any one else.
                  Witness - I am quite sure what I say. She was so rarely out at that time. I saw her at the corner of Miller's Court on Friday morning at eight, because my husband had not left off, and he leaves off at half past eight. My husband had a man to call at seven a.m. That was his last call. I had never seen the deceased about at that time in the morning. I spoke to her, "What, Mary, what brings you out so early?" And she said, "Oh, Carrie, I do feel so bad." Although I had only spoken to her twice previously, I knew her name, and she knew mine. I asked her if she would have a drink. She said, "I have just had half a pint of ale, and I have brought it up." The beer she had thrown up was about three yards away from her on the pavement. She did not say where she had the beer, but by the motion she made I should imagine that she had it at the Britannia beer house, at the corner of the street. I left the deceased then, saying I could pity her feelings. I then went to Spitalfields Market to get my husband's breakfast, and on my return I saw her outside the Britannia public house talking to a man. That would be about a quarter to nine.
                  The Coroner - What description could you give of this man?
                  Witness - I could not give any. I did not pass them, but I saw them from the distance. I was between fourteen and fifteen years away from them. I am sure it was the deceased that I saw outside the public house. The man I saw was not tall. He was short, and a little taller than I am (the witness was about 5 feet 5 inches in height.) The man had a plain coat on. I did not notice his hat. The deceased was wearing a dark skirt, velvet bodice, and a marone shawl. She had no hat on. I have seen the deceased in drink, but she was not an habitual drunkard. She was a quiet girl as far as I saw her. She was never about with anybody that I saw. What she did elsewhere, of course, I don't know.
                  A Juror - If the man that you saw the deceased with had worn a silk hat, should you have noticed it?
                  Witness - I don't know that I should have done so. I am accustomed to see all classes of people, but I don't take any notice of them.
                  But would you have noticed his hat if it had been a silk one?
                  If he had worn a silk hat I might have noticed it.

Comment

Thanks for the observation about the Morning Advertiser, Sam.

Oh, don't mention it.

(Sorry - feeling a bit under the weather.)
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Sarah Lewis, living at 24 Great Pearl Street, Spitalfields, a laundress, said - I know Mrs. Keyler, in Miller's Court, and saw her on Friday morning about 2.30 a.m. This I noticed by Spitalfields Church clock. In Dorset Street I saw a man with a wideawake on, stopping on the opposite side of the pavement. The man was alone, and was not talking to anybody. He was tall, and a "stout" looking man. He had dark clothes on. A young man went along with a young woman, who was drunk. The man I noticed was looking up the court, as though he was waiting for some one. I stopped at Keyler's that night. I had had a few words at home. The court was quiet. I sat in a chair, and fell asleep. I woke up at 3.30 as the clock "went." I sat awake until nearly five. A little before four I heard a female shouting "Murder" once. It was loud, and there was only one shout. The cry was from where the shop is. There was no repetition. It was a young woman's voice. I took no notice. I was not alarmed. I left the house at half past five in the afternoon. I could not get out sooner, because the police would not let us leave. On Wednesday night I was going with a friend along the Bethnal Green Road at eight o'clock in the evening, when a gentleman passed us, and he followed us back again. He wanted us to follow him. He said he didn't mind which of us. He went away, and came back to us, and said if we went along a certain entry he would treat us. He put down his bag - his black, shiny bag - and said to my friend, "Are you frightened? I've got something in my bag." Then he began feeling about his clothes, and we ran away. He was a short, palefaced man, with a black moustache. The man appeared to be about forty. His bag was not very large - about six to nine inches long. The hat he wore was a round one, rather high - a stiff felt hat. He had a long overcoat on, and a short black one underneath. His trousers were dark. On the night of the murder, I saw him again in Commercial Street. I cannot tell you where he went when we left him. We did not look behind us. On Friday morning, about half past two, on my way to Miller's Court, I met the same man, who was accompanied by a female. They were in Commercial Street, near the Britannia public house. He was wearing the same clothes, with the exception of the overcoat. He had the black bag with him. They were standing talking together. I passed on, but looked back at him. I went on my way. I did not tell a policeman, as I did not pass one on my way. I saw the man talking to the woman at the corner of Dorset Street, and left them there.
                      The Coroner - Should you know the man if you saw him again?
                      Witness - I should.

Comment

"He was tall, and a "stout" looking man."

He was ...TALL??

The best,
                        Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                          "He was tall, and a "stout" looking man."

He was ...TALL??

The best,
                          Fisherman
                          Yes it might mean stout in width but it could also have meant stout in terms of formidable looking rather than fat.

Chris
                          Christopher T. George
                          Editor, Ripperologist
                          http://www.ripperologist.biz
                          http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net

Comment

Dr. George Baxter (sic) Phillips, M.R.C.S., (sworn) - I am surgeon to the H Division of the Metropolitan Police and reside at 2 Spital Square. On Friday morning I was called by the police about eleven o'clock, and proceeded to Miller's Court, which I entered at 11.15. I found a room, numbered 13, having two windows. (Photograph of the premises produced.) There were two windows looking into the court. Two of the panes in the lesser window nearest to the passage were broken, and, finding the door locked, I looked through the lower broken pane and satisfied myself that the mutilated corpse lying on the bed was not in need of any immediate attention from me. I also came to the conclusion that there was nobody else upon the bed or within view to whom I could render any professional assistance. Having ascertained that it was probably advisable that no entry should be made into the room at the time, I remained until about 1.30 when the door was broken open leading into the room. The door was broken open by Mr. M'Carthy. The direction was given by Superintendent Arnold. The police before that prevented Mr. M'Carthy from breaking the door open. The yard was in charge of Inspector Beck. On the door being opened it knocked against a table which was close to the left hand side of the bed, and the bedstead was close up against the wooden partition. The mutilated remains of a female were lying two thirds over towards the edge of the bedstead nearest the door of entry. She had only her chemise upon her or some underlinen garment, and on my subsequent examination I am sure the body had been removed, subsequent to the injury which caused her death, from the side of the bedstead which was nearest to the wooden partition before named. The large quantity of blood under the bedstead,and the saturated condition of the palliasses, pillow, and sheet at the top corner of the bedstead nearest the partition, lead me to the conclusion that the severance of the right carotid artery was the immediate cause of her death, and was inflicted while the deceased was lying at the right side of the bedstead, and her head and neck in the top right hand corner before alluded to.
                            At this stage, the inquiry was adjourned for a quarter of an hour for luncheon. During the adjournment, the Coroner's officer reported that an officialof the Shoreditch Vestry had been persuading the jury that they ought not to have been summoned to this inquest at all.
                            On the jury reassembling, the Coroner said - May I ask, gentlemen, this? It has been reported to me that during your brief absence for luncheon some one has made a statement to you that you ought not to have been summoned. Is that the fact?
                            The Foreman - So far as I know nothing of the kind has taken place.
                            Several jurors added that there was no truth whatever in the statement.
                            The Coroner - Then I must have been misinformed. I should have taken care that if I had found anybody interfering with my jury he would have had a quiet life for the next week.
                            The inquiry then proceeded.

Julia Venturney deposed - I occupy a room in Miller's Court, and the man I am now living with is named Harry Owen. I knew the deceased. It was some time before I came acquainted with her, but when I knew her she told me that her name was Kelly, and she was a married woman. I know the young man Joe Barnett with whom the deceased lived. They lived happily together. He objected to her walking the streets. I have frequently seen the deceased the worse for drink; but when she was cross, Joe Barnett would go out and leave her to quarrel with herself. She told me that she was fond of another man - that she could not bear the man (Joe) that she was living with, although he was very good to her. Strangely enough, the other man, she said, was named Joe. Witness went to bed on Thursday night in Miller's Court about 8 p.m. She did not sleep. She could not tell why, but she did not sleep at all. Perhaps she dozed a bit. She heard a strange sound with some door, which was not like the way in which the deceased used to shut the door. There was no noise in the court that night, and she heard no singing. If there had been any singing, she must have heard it. The deceased used to sing Irish songs.

Comment

Hi Fisherman
                              Here is the extract:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X