Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Integrity (Off-Topic Discussion moved from Suspect thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Integrity (Off-Topic Discussion moved from Suspect thread)

Hi All,

On reflection, perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on Dale Larner.

After all, he's only following in the footsteps of an old established tradition set in train by Macnaghten, Anderson and Swanson.

To wit, picking on someone completely innocent.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Anderson maybe.

However Swanson merely named and Macnaghten presented an opinion, neither accused.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Macnaghten is the worst of the lot of them as far as police officials go, for somebody who wasn't even involved in the case to pick on 3 suspects on entirely false grounds and all of whom, for one reason or another, were unable to defend themselves. But at least he didn't go down the modern path of picking on celebrity suspects.

Ally:

Hmm, large, red-headed man.....are we back to talking about Bram Stoker again?

Seriously though, fair enough points and you're quite right.

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

Hi Adam,

Quite right.

The avuncular Mr. Macnaghten was in London during the WM.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Adam,

"Macnaghten is the worst of the lot of them as far as police officials go, for somebody who wasn't even involved in the case to pick on 3 suspects on entirely false grounds and all of whom, for one reason or another, were unable to defend themselves. But at least he didn't go down the modern path of picking on celebrity suspects."

Macnaghten does not state that those 3 men were suspects. He clearly states that -

"I may mention the cases of 3 men, any one of whom would have been more likely than Cutbush to have committed this series of murders".

At no stage does he mention they were indeed suspects. Its a common assumption and a misdirected one, along with misleading.

Now that suits some peoples agenda, adds to the conspirators amoury, however quite simply Macnaghten is merely pointing out the flimsy evidence against Cutbush by hightlighting a few other names, any one of which COULD have been the murderer but he never stated any of them were direct suspects.

Monty
          Monty

Comment

Hi Monty,

Are we, then, to exonerate Druitt, Kosminski and Ostrog?

I do hope so.

Conspiratorially yours,

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon,

If you have the evidence to do so.

Minimalistically yours
              Monty
              Monty

Comment

homicidal tendency

Hello Simon, Neil. Exonerate Druitt and Kosminski if you dare, but NEVER a homicidal maniac like Ostrog.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                  Macnaghten does not state that those 3 men were suspects. He clearly states that -

"I may mention the cases of 3 men, any one of whom would have been more likely than Cutbush to have committed this series of murders".

At no stage does he mention they were indeed suspects. Its a common assumption and a misdirected one, along with misleading.
                  Well. Neil, he seemed to try to make them look 'suspect' at least... and enough so with one of them that he apparently thought him likely to be Jack the Ripper... or, at least, convinced Sims to that effect.
                  Best Wishes,
                  Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
                    Richard, is the Paley book about William Bury as suspect? Secondly, the "From Hell" isn't the graphic novel that became the Johnny Depp movie is it? Thanks. Just wondering if I should read either of these works?
                    Bruce Paley is about Barnett, and not too bad. As for Bob Hinton's From Hell, I too initially had mistaken it for adhering to the Royal Conspiracy theory until better informed Rippperologists cleared out things for me.
                    Both books are real good, though Paley should have been structured differently and sold its case better, in my opinion.

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Exonerate Druitt and Kosminski if you dare, but NEVER a homicidal maniac like Ostrog.
                    LOL Lynn. As a by the by, Ostrog was adept in using a revolver (once against a cop when he got arrested) and I'm not quite finished looking him up. It's not clear at all if perhaps Macnaghten didn't quote him as a mixup with another suspect, intentional or not.
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                      Well. Neil, he seemed to try to make them look 'suspect' at least... and enough so with one of them that he apparently thought him likely to be Jack the Ripper... or, at least, convinced Sims to that effect.
                      I disagree Cris.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

Hi Neil, I agree. Even though MacNaghten became a police official, his Druitt theory is a mere amateur opinion.
                        Druitt has never been suspected before he was found dead. How could he ? He is nothing but a name that fit a very hazardous theory - ie : that the murderer was doomed to commit suicide or lose his mind after Miller's Court.

Comment

revolver

Hello Maria. Hmm, did he wave it at him?

I look forward to your research here.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

suicide and sex

Hello David. Agreed. It seems that suicide and sexual irregularity were the main items sought by the investigators.

Hence Druitt and Kosminski.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

I reckon it depends on what we define as a suspect. There would be a lot of grey areas in this case... what individual officers thought or who actually had a dossier at CO specifically related to the murders?

Unless there's a missing file out there somewhere, its hard to prove 'Scotland Yard'... officially... really had any that lasted more than a few days or weeks at the most.
                              Best Wishes,
                              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Working...
                              X