Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Some Madeira, M'Dear

Hi All,

Could this be MJD's father endorsing the drinking of Madeira?

The Times, November 8th 1880 [and other dates]—

Click image for larger version

Name:	DRUITT NOV 8 1880.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	669189

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

I was just thinking to myself, 'Umpteen active Druitt threads just isn't enough. I hope someone starts another one soon, preferably about a totally uninteresting and unrelated topic.' Thanks for coming through, Simon!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

The new thread is worth it just for the Flanders & Swann reference. Can't get enough of those guys, me.
      Last edited by The Grave Maurice; 04-29-2008, 02:44 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
        I was just thinking to myself, 'Umpteen active Druitt threads just isn't enough. I hope someone starts another one soon, preferably about a totally uninteresting and unrelated topic.' Thanks for coming through, Simon!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
        No one is forcing you to read any of them, Tom.

Simon, yes I would think it is. There's a later version of the advert referring to "the late Dr. Druitt."

Comment

Ah yes... Madeira, California. Fine wine and loose Latina women.
          That's it! I'm going back!

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
            The new thread is worth it just for the Flanders & Swann reference. Can't get enough of those guys, me.
            Have some more of 'em!

Madeira M'DearAT THE DROP OF ANOTHER HATon Broadway 1967By Permission of THE FLANDERS & SWANN ESTATES

Priceless stuff
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Yeah hello Simon and all,
              Actually, this advertisement is using a quote from Montague Druitt's uncle's
              book on the Healthful Use of Wine. That is Robert Druitt of Strathmore Gardens.
              Not only did the book praise Spanish Sherry it also praised some Australian wines too. Possibly information obtained through Robert's brother, Archdeacon Thomas Druitt out in New South Wales.
              Come to think of it, Archdeacon Druitt actually married Helena Purvis in Lisbon
              in August 1845. So he probably informed his brother about the jolly good sherry and Madiera sponge cake available in Spain.
              Some interesting obscure references to Druitts are turning up now aren't they? Keep'em coming. JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

I see two problems with this advertisement. First problem is that I'm fairly sure wine is not really all that good for the "aged or convalescent." Second problem is that when I'm shopping for wine, "good for convalescents" is not real high on the list of what I'm looking for!

More to the point, Druitt's life seems full of fascinating tidbits, almost none of which point to a violent serial killer. He'd be a classic quaint Victorian gentleman were it not for Macnaghten's "private information." There must have been something we don't know about, and it's one of the most tantalizing mysteries in a field of enigmas....

Comment

Thanks, John, for clearing that up. It does make sense now that I think about it.

Comment

Just To Be Thoroughly Boring..

Finally Simon,
                    Noticed when Googling that a copy of Dr Robert Druitt's treatise on wines is available for sale.
                    The full title is:" Report on the Cheap Wines from France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Greece, Hungary and Australia.Their Use in Diet and Medicine".
                    This copy Second Edition completely re-written by Dr Robert Druitt.and printed by Henry Renshaw 356 Strand, London. 1873.
                    Of course, he was better known as the Editor of a Medical Journal and author of the extremely popular ( amongst medicos) " Surgeon's Vade Mecum ". Which also came out in multiple editions.From 1858.
                    In my opinion Dr Robert Druitt was the best known of the Druitts circa 1880's.
                    And so it was understandable persons not immediately familiar with MJD would have connected him with medicine.
                    The Druitts had been practising medicine in Wimborne for three hundred years!
                    JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Hi John,

Yaaaawn. Completely and thoroughly boring. Tom'll love it.

Well done! It's all the peripheral stuff like this that brings the whole subject to life.

I raise a glass of Madeira to boredom!

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Simon, go to Madeira, chat up the Spanish American ladies with your knowledge of fine wine (and buy them good wine) and miracles happen!!!
                        Now how boring is that?

(p.s. it helps to be stud-like too)

Comment

In an age when they openly discussed the "water cure" (such as Dr. James Manby Gully of the Bravo Case, or Dr. Thomas Smethurst in the Isabella Banks mystery, or Dr. Edward William Pritchard, before he moved to Scotland), they could equally push wine. Doesn't the bible say something about "a little wine" for you own good sake, or something to that effect?

Besides, I like the reference to Flanders and Swan too in the thread's title.
                          So, what's gnu with all of you? While thinking of the "water cure" or wine, let's hear it for the recuperative powers of "mud, mud wonderful mud!".

Jeff

Comment

Hi Plang,

Not boring at all.

But stud-like? Me? Damn, fallen at the first hurdle.

Still, thanks for keeping the thread going. As I said to Ruffels, it's peripheral stuff like this that helps keep the subject alive.

And as for mud—

There's nothing quite like it for cooling the blood.
                            So follow me, follow, down to the hollow,
                            And there let us wallow in glorious mud.

Regards,

Simon

PS. Has anyone got a copy of "The Slow Train"?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                              PS. Has anyone got a copy of "The Slow Train"?
                              I have on CD, Simon. One of their most poignant and reflective songs. Not sure Hammersmith or Blackheath are mentioned, but Openshaw is
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                              X