Druitt at Oxford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druitt at Oxford

Not sure whether this is Montague or not but it is interesting. Jackson's Oxford Journal, 12 June 1886:
    Attached Files

A cricket match against some rather noteworthy opponents. Jackson's Oxford journal, 5 June 1880:
    Attached Files

Comment

There are plenty of Monty's cricket scorecards online waiting to be looked at, if that is the sort of thing you like.

From Jackson's Oxford Journal, 29 May 1880:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Druitt Cricket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	653514

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Yes, I saw that one as well but I didn't note any notable figures in that match.

Comment

Palmerston Club discussion from above can be continued on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by aspallek View Post
            Yes, I saw that one as well but I didn't note any notable figures in that match.
            True, but, as a point of trivia, the FGG Jellicoe batting at number twelve for the Etceteras in this twelve-a-side game was the brother of the famous Admiral Jellicoe of the Battle of Jutland.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Andy, there were at least two Druitt undergraduates at Oxford in 86.

Comment

Thanks, Robert. So the Druitt attendee at the Palmerston Club could have been Montague's younger brother Arthur or his Christchurch cousin Philip. Still, it seems a bit odd that an ordinary undergrad attending the dinner would merit a specific mention. Philip's father James, however, was rather prominent and in 1888 would be elected mayor of Christchurch.

If I am not mistaken, Philip was also coroner or assistant coroner of the area encompassing Bournemouth and, in such capacity, may have been in a position to advise William Harvey Druitt in the matter of his brother's death.
                Last edited by aspallek; 05-03-2008, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Andy

The club may have been a kind of nursery. This is from the Times Dec 1st 1885.

As far as I can make out, Gladstone attended a Palmerston Club dinner at least as early as 1878.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hey! I Was Sittin' There!

Hello Rob and All,
                    Highly interesting stuff Rob. No mention of the Apostles I see.
                    Not only did the Palmerston Club indulge in useless things like discussing politics, it appears they also did really useful things like playing Musical Chairs.
                    If you read Robs first posting on this thread you will see what I mean.
                    90 sat down but only Mr Hogarth took the chair!
                    So I guess he was the winner.
                    Enough! JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

According to a Library book I have out on Canon Barnett ,first warden of Toynbee Hall,there is a reference to a Mr Ball who came from Oxford .I think its the same Mr Ball named as an attender,at the above Palmerston Club Dinner,in Oxford.He was also named as an "associate" of Toynbee Hall---this was in 1884/5 when ET Cook was named as being at meetings at this hall in Commercial Street.He served there for several years .Charrington, the brewery heir was also a member - he certainly attended meetings there.These people also formed an early "Vigillante Group" to protect people against gangs who roamed around robbing people.That was from 1885/6.The group calling itself St Jude"s seems to have formed an "extra" group after Martha Tabram"s murder in August 1888 which was just yards from the Toynbee Hall - George Yard backed onto it.

Comment

Hi Rob,

I am not surprised that undergraduates attended the Palmerston Club functions. I was only expressing surprise that a an undergraduate might be mentioned by name in a newspaper article covering the dinner.

Comment

Hi Andy

Yes, I know. I wonder whether an email to the Oxford archivists might be in order. Who knows, maybe the membership lists of the Palmerston Club are still extant.

John and Natalie, wasn't there a solicitor called Ball who visited William Harvey Druitt around the time of Lord Wimborne's Ball?

Robert

Comment

There was a Palmerston Club Company Ltd, dissolved 1894, but it wasn't ours as ours continued after that date.

Also this :

CONTACT: Cambridge University Library, Department of Manuscripts and University Archives

MARTEN PAPERS
                            Catalogue Ref. ADD.MS7744; ADD.MS7897-7899
                            Creator(s):
                            Marten family of Cambridge

ADD.MS7898

FILE [no title or ref. or date]
                            item: [no title] - ref. ADD.MS7898/47 - date: 10 June 1893
                            [from Scope and Content] Palmerston Club, Oxford: toast list and seating plan for annual dinner
                            item: [no title] - ref. ADD.MS7898/48 - date: June 1893
                            [from Scope and Content] Palmerston Club, Oxford: booklet, 24 pp. Listing rules, members and papers read.

Too late for Monty but it might tell us if other Druitts were involved.

Comment

Hello Rob,
                              Yes, you are correct. I have long been interested in a" Mr Ball" discovered by
                              an early Cheltenham Ripperologist, Mr F.E. Hermes,as having visited William Harvey Druitt at his home, I think, in the middle of December, 1888.
                              Apparently, the local paper listed all visitors to the town (well, most I suppose) as social chat.
                              I think this particular visitor was a Mr Richard Ball. It may have been at the time of the Wimborne Ball for Prince Albert Victor.Of course, William H. Druitt was not listed as an invitee to that Ball.Neither was Mr Ball.
                              I did discover a London solicitor named Richard Ball. He was connected with a London firm calledi think," Capel, Cure & Co."
                              JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Working...
                              X