Yorkshire Ripper Documentary.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkshire Ripper Documentary.

This is a very, very long shot, but a few years ago there was a documentary, I think on ITV. The documentary looked at the possibility of Sutcliffe having an accomplice, and I think that accomplice possibly being a police officer. I remember they interviewed a woman who said she had served Sutcliffe in a cafe and he was with a strange man who seemed to have some knowledge of the murders, it reconstructed this scene and others.

Does anyone remember what this documentary was called? Or even where I may be able to see this documentary again? I'd be very grateful to anyone who can help!

Hi Bounder.

There are a number of Yorkshire Ripper documentaries posted on YouTube. There are also various news report videos. It's been some time since I watched them, so I'm afraid I can't recall if the particular theory you mentioned is discussed, but you might want to check them out. Good luck!

Best regards,
    Archaic

Comment

Thanks Archaic, I've viewed you tube but without knowing the name of the documentary its difficult to narrow it down without sitting through hours of other stuff. Although lots of the stuff on there is interesting.

Comment

Hi Bounder. You're very welcome.

Is this of any use? http://www.execulink.com/~kbrannen/wearside.htm

The article mentions the theory that 'Wearside Jack' was a retired police officer nursing a grudge. Even after Sutcliffe confessed, many suspected Wearside Jack of being an "accomplice" of Sutcliffe because he so effectively diverted the attention of the police away from the real perpetrator, which sadly allowed him to go on killing.

'Wearside Jack' was eventually identified as John Humble, a man who was not a police officer, but perhaps the documentary you're trying to locate was recorded before this fact was established?

Best regards,
        Archaic

Comment

Cheers I shall read this with great interest!

Comment

Dont know the name of the documentry But the theory you are talking about was put forward by a woman called Olive Curry. She worked in a seamans mission in South Shields and claimed to have seen Sutcliffe there on several occasions with another man who she described as very quiet and seeming to let Sutcliffe do all the talking. Olive wrote to Sutcliffe to ask him about it and he denied it was him.

Comment

I'm fairly sure that the mystery documentary is The Hunt for Wearside Jack (2001), Bounder. The programme featured journalist Patrick Lavelle, a man whose persistent pressure on the police prevented the issue of the Geordie Hoaxer from dying a natural death. Indeed, it is almost entirely due to Mr Lavelle's activities that Humble was eventually detected, tried and convicted.

Comment

Thanks for all the hints and tips there. Olive Curry, I think I can follow up a few leads with that. Sorry for the late thanks, I do appreciate the info though chaps.

Comment

Working...
                X