Ripperologist # 119

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist # 119

Fishing for compliments, Howard? If so, let me say that I enjoyed your column very much. I hope that you'll keep writing for the Rip.

Comment

While I enjoyed Howard's clippings, I must say I was disappointed that it wasn't a written column. Howard is one of the most enjoyable writers in the field and, sadly, one of the least prolific. And here he is the owner of a forum that is constantly seeing new information presented (which I'm not able to see....GRRR). Howard could write AMAZING commentary columns, infusing new or old info with his own unique perspective and 'eagle eye' for details. Just a suggestion from a long time reader.

I was equally excited to see a new Press Trawl from Chris Scott. Did anyone happen to notice the 1891 (I believe) letter regarding John Moore as the 'Dear Boss' writer, specifically stating that Moore's similar handwriting led to such suspicions? Any thoughts on who wrote it? Does Macnaghten and Sims figure into this somehow?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom:

Thank you.
        Not sure why you are unable to "see" the Forums, since you're still a member.
        We dropped quite a few names from the site's membership if they hadn't visited for 400 days...but that would not have affected you.
        Ciao
        How

Comment

As far as I recall, the casebook thread Author of “Central News“ identified -1891 adds support for the Bulling/Moore suspicion, containing findings by Chris Scott.
          I'm afraid I don't recall about Macnaghten's and Sims' involvement in this presently.

I've experienced some problems viewing the JTRForums site too, I'm afraid I haven't visited for a couple months. I'll try again soon. Better check if I'm still a member.
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

I read up a quick one pertaining to the Bulling/Moore suspicion:
            Littlechild's 1913 letter to George Sims:
            With regard to the term “Jack the Ripper“, it was generally believed at the Yard that Tom Bullen of the Central News was the originator, but it is probable Moore, who was his chief, was the inventor. It was a smart piece of journalistic work.

Moore and Bulling visited the “Black Museum“ at New Scotland Yard together on 26 July 1892 where they would have been able to see the copy of the “Dear Boss“ letter that was on display. Their signatures are in the visitors' book for the aforementioned date.
            A sample of Moore's handwriting and his signature can be seen in posts #11 and #16 in the already mentioned casebook thread Author of “Central News“ identified -1891.

Sims in 1888 thought it laughable that the murderer should send his letter to the Central News – an organization about which the average Victorian would be oblivious.
            Anderson in his memoirs does not admit that he was mistaken to initially believe and having gone public about the “Dear Boss“ letter being authentic.
            Macnaghten in his memoirs obliquely criticized his former superior (Anderson), albeit without naming him.

With apologies for semi-highjacking this thread.
            Oh, and I've managed logging-in in the JTRForums - after a few tries.
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown
              Not sure why you are unable to "see" the Forums, since you're still a member.
              It's nothing on your end, Howard. Until I can get a new laptop (which will be soon) and get the net at home again, I only use my work comp. The bandwidth blocker on here excludes me from visiting most sites, including yours. For some reason, it doesn't block Casebook. For a while I was using a proxy to look at your site until that stopped working. Anyway, think about what I said. If you had a breezy written commentary type column, that along with Press Trawl would alone be worth the price of subscription.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
              X