Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Eddowes 'V' shaped facial cuts enigma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eddowes 'V' shaped facial cuts enigma.

A simple possible solution to the Eddowes V shaped cuts enigma.

At the start, there's no symbolic mumbo jumbo meaning as far as I'm concerened
    regarding these particular injuries.

The simplest and fastest way to acheive them as far as I can figure
    is to use a pointed knife sharpened on both edges as shown in my diagram.

I've used a medium density foam that offers quite a degree of resistance for my model
    with the cutting surface slightly curved upwards and mounted on a wooden base.

1. Blade of knife held flat resting on skin.

2. Apply enough pressure to depress the skin then push forward so knife
    pierces the top layer and travels a short distance under skin as required.

3. Knife removed leaving a 'V' shaped cut.

4. Copy of fig 3 rotated to same angle as cut near mouth circled on Eddowes photo for comparison.

5. Close up of Eddowes photo.

One possible flaw in the theory:
    Dr. Frederick Gordon Brown, London police surgeon called in at the murder,
    arrived at Mitre Square around 2:00 AM.
    Part of his report is as follows.

:There was on each side of cheek a cut which peeled up the skin, forming a triangular
    flap about an inch and a half. :

Although my method does leave a tringular shaped cut it does not leave a 'triangular flap' as such
    if we interpret Dr. Brown's meaning of a 'triangular flap' being the 'inner' body of the triangular flap section
    about an inch and a half long.

It would have been clearer to describe that as a triangular shaped 'tongue' of skin which peeled up!

That may be nit picking by me to try and support my ideas but at least I'm bringing in
    the written facts by Dr. Brown.

However, My method does peel up the skin to the 'outer' edges of the cut, thus creating
    triangular 'flaps'!

The problem I had when trying to replicate the triangular cuts when using the edge of the
    knife on my model(as one would when peeling an apple) being that I could not perform an accurate
    and uniform shape of cut similar to those as seen on the Eddowes photo.

Regarding the lower of the two cuts as circled on the photo, I find it very difficult indeed
    that a cut of this nature and position using a blade of 6 inches or longer could be performed without
    taking the rest of her face with it if using the edge of the blade to slice.

I think these triangular shaped injuries are simply the product of prodding the skin
    with the flat side of a pointed and very sharp double edged knife blade for defacment,
    bedevilment and pleasure by Jack!

It's ok reading about these things but until you try it out for yourself, you'll
    not realise things aren't quite so simple!

Best
    Steve
    Attached Files

Has anybody ever modelled a live-sized clay face and tried cutting it?

Another thing – I will post it here, because it fits better here than into the “Striking after being seen” thread.
    “Jack” likely held the knife in a different way when attacking the face than when attacking the body. See sketch. Attacking the face seems to have been more emotional, the cutting up in contrast more “professional”.
    Just another detail for your files!
    Regards,
    K
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X