Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Supreme Court Rules on Anti-Gay Funeral Protesters

The ...
    Last edited by Admin; 06-16-2011, 11:16 PM. Reason: Violation of Copyright Rule

The far right demonstrating their love of country and ineffable moral superiority. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

They protest because they are tempted. They don't want to be tempted.

Mike
      huh?

Comment

What an outrage for that family to have their grief the target of a bunch of bigots.

Comment

This was just a denial of the damages, not actually support of the anti-gay group, and it may have been ruled in such a way as to protect religion as well as freedom of speech. I think when those church members die, gay pride parades should march through the cemeteries. Maybe Orangemen too as we don't need them in Northern Ireland marching these days. Gives them something to do.

Mike
          huh?

Comment

Interesting that it was an 8 to 1 decision with Judge Alito being the lone dissenter. I was reading the comments on msnbc.com. I was amused by those comments ranting about the "liberal" justices and how this was so typical of the Court. It had to be pointed out to the posters that the three very conservative justices on the court -- Scalia, Thomas and Roberts (who wrote the decision) all sided with the majority.

c.d.

Comment

The one dissenter was arguably the court's most conservative member. At any rate, if most of the country doesn't like the ruling then there is always the constitutional amendment route.
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I can understand picketing gay marriages or pride marches, but I can't conceive of anybody picketing a funeral. Never heard of it before.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom,

Are you saying that you have never heard of this issue before or have never seen these people on TV?

c.d.

Comment

Wow, the supreme court gets it wrong what else is new. These 'justices' are so ridiculous. I guess Judge Alito is the only one with a brain. So this gives everyone the green light to show up at private events holding up signs and hurling insults at people. Awesome
                    Jordan

Comment

It's possible Alito dissented for political reasons. After all 8-1 wins the same as 9-0. That kind of thing happens a lot in the political corruption that is the Supreme Court.

Mike
                      huh?

Comment

Hi c.d. I don't actually watch t.v., so I miss a lot of news (and a lot of nonsense). I watch DVDs. I have not heard of this issue, nor have I heard of people picketing funerals. Funerals are for the survivors, NOT the deceased, so to picket people who are mourning is ridiculously distasteful.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

It is ridiculously distasteful and morally repugnant. And it is protected under the first amendment. Always has been. To a certain extent I have to wonder about all of the moral outrage this has produced. Not that it doesn't warrant moral outrage, but theres a little part of me that says "Where have you been?". The Klan? fine. Neo-Nazis? sure. Phelps demonstrating at the funeral of Matthew Shepherd, a gay child murdered by his peers? ok. But Soldier's funerals? Somehow that's sacrosanct? Only NOW it becomes a national issue?

I am genuinely sorry any parent has to be exposed to these bigots, and listen to them deride the military as they bury their son. It is an absolute tragedy. But let's face it. When they tell you that God killed your son as a punishment to an evil government because God hates fags, they're not insulting YOUR kid. They are persecuting gay kids. Of course you shouldn't have to deal with it at a funeral. Of course you shouldn't have to deal with it at all.

We decided long ago that the Klan was protected, and everyone saw it as a necessary evil. Well what is worse? Having someone protest a third party at a funeral, or someone on the sidewalk telling you to your face that they will never rest until you and your kind are erased from the earth? I don't know. I've only experienced the one not the other. And there was no outrage then. And that's fine. It really is, I am a huge supporter of the first amendment. But I wonder what it says about society that it was a necessary evil until it targeted people they could relate to?
                          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

My advice would be, get yourselves a new Constitution, or a new Supreme Court, or both. Over here it is illegal for a landlady to refuse to let a room to two gay men, and I think that's ridiculous. But I also think it's ridiculous that turds should be allowed to say what they want, anywhere they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                              It is ridiculously distasteful and morally repugnant. And it is protected under the first amendment. Always has been. To a certain extent I have to wonder about all of the moral outrage this has produced. Not that it doesn't warrant moral outrage, but theres a little part of me that says "Where have you been?". The Klan? fine. Neo-Nazis? sure. Phelps demonstrating at the funeral of Matthew Shepherd, a gay child murdered by his peers? ok. But Soldier's funerals? Somehow that's sacrosanct? Only NOW it becomes a national issue?

I am genuinely sorry any parent has to be exposed to these bigots, and listen to them deride the military as they bury their son. It is an absolute tragedy. But let's face it. When they tell you that God killed your son as a punishment to an evil government because God hates fags, they're not insulting YOUR kid. They are persecuting gay kids. Of course you shouldn't have to deal with it at a funeral. Of course you shouldn't have to deal with it at all.

We decided long ago that the Klan was protected, and everyone saw it as a necessary evil. Well what is worse? Having someone protest a third party at a funeral, or someone on the sidewalk telling you to your face that they will never rest until you and your kind are erased from the earth? I don't know. I've only experienced the one not the other. And there was no outrage then. And that's fine. It really is, I am a huge supporter of the first amendment. But I wonder what it says about society that it was a necessary evil until it targeted people they could relate to?
                              I think you're confusing the issue here and overthinking this just like these 'justices' are. They are showing up at a private event and making a scene. This is not protected under the first amendment nor has it ever been. This is a case of timing and venue not that they have right or don't have the right to say what they want. They can obviously hold whatever religion or moral values they wish, can hold up signs, and say certain things but it has to be done on their own time. This ruling is giving the go-ahead to people in this country to show up at funerals,birthday parties, graduations, worship services, business events, etc. and say whatever they please with no action. I mean why stop there right? Just show up outside someones house you don't like holding up signs and yelling things. The opinion of the court gives the okay for all of these things to happen with no one stepping in to stop it. This could in turn create a chaotic situation where law abiding citizens are put in danger because the police can not move in tell people to leave.Therefore citizens will take the law into their own hands and begin confronting the event crashers which ,in all likelihood, will turn deadly. That is scary.A sad day for America and true patriots would weep
                              Jordan
                              Last edited by ChainzCooper; 03-02-2011, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X