Last Living U.S. WWI Vet Dies At Age 110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Living U.S. WWI Vet Dies At Age 110

Frank Buckles has passed away at the age of 110.

He was the last surviving United States Veteran of World War One. Mr. Buckles drove an ambulance in France in 1917.

Remarkably, he served again in WWII in the Merchant Marine, was captured by the Japanese, and was held as a prisoner of war in horrible conditions for over 3 years before being liberated.

At the age of 108 Mr. Buckles went to Washington, D.C. and spoke to Congress about the need for a National World War One Memorial.

Before his death Mr. Buckles requested to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

I hope he will be, and I hope the National World War One Memorial will be approved very soon. It's incredible that we don't have one.

Article: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/27/wwi..._igoogle_world
    Last edited by Archaic; 03-01-2011, 03:00 AM.

Wow, I also wasn't aware that we didn't have a memorial to the Great War. Why don't we?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom.

Isn't it shocking that we don't have a National WWI Memorial?

I'm not sure of the reason. Maybe America was too busy with the Roaring 20's and then the Great Depression to think about creating one? Maybe they thought the many local memorials across America were sufficient? (Not very good reasons though.)

Here's another article about Mr. Buckles. Apparently he was mentally sharp and still asking about a National WWI Memorial right up to his death. http://www.startribune.com/nation/117059003.html

I was glad to see that the President ordered flags to be flown at half-staff in honor of Frank Buckles. Now let's get building that memorial!

Best regards,
      Archaic

Comment

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is about WWI. Although casualties of other wars were added later, the central large monument is for the WWI victim. I'm not saying that's enough but there are other American wars that don't even have that.

My highest tribute to Mr. Buckles.
        Last edited by sdreid; 03-02-2011, 12:47 AM.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

From memory, I believe that means that there are now only 3 living soldiers worldwide who saw combat in World War I....they really are the very last of a generation.

R.I.P. Frank.

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

Working...
          X