Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

O.K., I'm writing my first draft of my Jack the Ripper novel Dusty Bluebells. All of the major historical figures (Police constables Victims are historical and I use their names as well as some of the witnesses to the canonical five and Martha Tabram However, I created fictional characters for the following Landlord for Ten Bells (Historically, John Waldron) Manager of CNA (Historically Moore) SInce this is fiction, does anyone see a problem with that?
    Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Hello, YS.
    First of all, good luck with your novel.

I've often thought of trying something like that myself. Mine was going to be extracts from the previously unpublished memoirs of my fictional policeman - probably a detective sergeant - maybe with footnotes by the editor (me) which would comment on what he probably meant and point out where the "memoirs" differ from received wisdom etc. Perhaps fortunately for the public, this idea has not come to fruition through a lack of application, imagination, and talent on my part coupled with a craven fear of failure. So hats off to you, sir. Or madam.

I mention this because the very same question occurred to me. The best solution I could come up with was that somehow it would need to be made clear on the cover that the book was fiction. This would be reiterated in a preface or introduction, probably making clear which characters were real people and which were fictional. I would also have pointed out that liberties had been taken with the historical characters and that much of their reported speech and actions was invented. Then I would have urged readers who wished to interest themselves in a purely factual account of the case to consult [short list of standard works e.g. Begg, Sugden, Sourcebook, A-Z]. Finally I would have wished them, "Happy reading" and proceeded with the narrative as if it were real. So fair warning has been given, now let's get on with the tale.

I should add that I am not a published writer (unless you count songs) and the above should probably be considered no more than musings on a recurring pipedream.

Once again the very best of luck. I am sure more experienced writers will be able to give you better advice on this point but those have been my thoughts on pondering the question.

Best wishes,

Steve.
    Last edited by Steven Russell; 02-28-2011, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
      Hello, YS.
      First of all, good luck with your novel.

I've often thought of trying something like that myself. Mine was going to be extracts from the previously unpublished memoirs of my fictional policeman - probably a detective sergeant - maybe with footnotes by the editor (me) which would comment on what he probably meant and point out where the "memoirs" differ from received wisdom etc. Perhaps fortunately for the public, this idea has not come to fruition through a lack of application, imagination, and talent on my part coupled with a craven fear of failure. So hats off to you, sir. Or madam.

I mention this because the very same question occurred to me. The best solution I could come up with was that somehow it would need to be made clear on the cover that the book was fiction. This would be reiterated in a preface or introduction, probably making clear which characters were real people and which were fictional. I would also have pointed out that liberties had been taken with the historical characters and that much of their reported speech and actions was invented. Then I would have urged readers who wished to interest themselves in a purely factual account of the case to consult [short list of standard works e.g. Begg, Sugden, Sourcebook, A-Z]. Finally I would have wished them, "Happy reading" and proceeded with the narrative as if it were real. So fair warning has been given, now let's get on with the tale.

I should add that I am not a published writer (unless you count songs) and the above should probably be considered no more than musings on a recurring pipedream.

Once again the very best of luck. I am sure more experienced writers will be able to give you better advice on this point but those have been my thoughts on pondering the question.

Best wishes,

Steve.
      Steve, It's "Sir" if my nieces or nephews are talking to me I plan on noting that it is fiction but also as you so sagely advise, plan to reference the major work I've used for my researchiincluding the Casebook. Thanks Ifor theadvise it does help clarify things,
      Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Working...
      X