police stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• police stations

Can anyone tell me if there are pictures of Bishopsgate police station from 1888 or a fairly credible discription? Were police stations fairly stndardized? inquiring (and caffine deprived) minds want to know.
    Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

There's a c1900 shot of how the station looked around 1888 (It was re done in the 1930s).

I've a photo which I'll post later courtesy of Rob Clack which I'll post up later, unless he does.

What do you mean standardised?

Monty

PS Ill post it later apparently
    Last edited by Monty; 02-19-2011, 06:30 PM.
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

standardized

Originally posted by Monty View Post
      There's a c1900 shot of how the station looked around 1888 (It was re done in the 1930s).

I've a photo which I'll post later courtesy of Rob Clack which I'll post up later, unless he does.

What do you mean standardised?

Monty

PS Ill post it later apparently
      Monty, did the all look the same? Obviously some features would be common to any police station. You'd need a lock up, some sort of lobby with a desk sergeant but would they be unique to themselves or all look pretty much the same?

Comment

There was a standard frontage design yes but the older stations did not have these.

All stations had a blue lamp outside, some still do.

That what you mean?

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

stations

Originally posted by Monty View Post
          There was a standard frontage design yes but the older stations did not have these.

All stations had a blue lamp outside, some still do.

That what you mean?

Monty
          Yes exactly. So I would be safe in assuming the interiors were similarly laid out. Lobby in front , cells in the rear of the building. would the cells be open as far as using bars rather than closed up with walls?

Comment

police stations

As far as I am aware Britain favoured closed cells with walls not those with bars as you see on westerns
            The prisoners would not have been able to see each other unless sharing a cell but I guess they could shout.
            I think that in the case perhaps others could coment
            Regards

Comment

cells

Originally posted by waterloo View Post
              As far as I am aware Britain favoured closed cells with walls not those with bars as you see on westerns
              The prisoners would not have been able to see each other unless sharing a cell but I guess they could shout.
              I think that in the case perhaps others could coment
              Regards
              Thanks both of you! I'm at the point in my novel where Eddowes is booked and canned for drunk and disorderly and I'm trying to be as visually accurate as possible. thanks again!

Comment

All cells, at least in the Met, had solid, steel faced, doors with both a throw lock and double lock mechanism. Usually a small, swivel covered, eye peephole and a sliding, or sometimes drop down, hatch for feed trays.

Stations varied in layout, though usually the front office was separate from the charge room, which usually had a barred door from it to the cell corridor.

Stations I served at in the 60/70s were basically unchanged from the Victorian period in which they were built!

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by PC Roadnight View Post
                  All cells, at least in the Met, had solid, steel faced, doors with both a throw lock and double lock mechanism. Usually a small, swivel covered, eye peephole and a sliding, or sometimes drop down, hatch for feed trays.

Stations varied in layout, though usually the front office was separate from the charge room, which usually had a barred door from it to the cell corridor.

Stations I served at in the 60/70s were basically unchanged from the Victorian period in which they were built!

PC Roadnight, That helps immensely and it is nice to know that I wasn't far off in my supposition. Thanks to everyone for your quick and informative responses!

Comment

PC Roadnight,

You should post more: you invariably add good information.
                    I hope you're working on a book of reminiscences. Many of us would be glad to buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                      PC Roadnight,

You should post more: you invariably add good information.
                      I hope you're working on a book of reminiscences. Many of us would be glad to buy it.
                      Thanks GM. An old friend, Harry Cole, wrote well on the area I mostly worked in but his books are, I believe, out of print. But...............I am working on a series of ten Victorian Police Novels, gasp, shock, horror! But unless my agents decide thay are worth pushing they will probably moulder unseen.............

Comment

Novels

Originally posted by PC Roadnight View Post
                        Thanks GM. An old friend, Harry Cole, wrote well on the area I mostly worked in but his books are, I believe, out of print. But...............I am working on a series of ten Victorian Police Novels, gasp, shock, horror! But unless my agents decide thay are worth pushing they will probably moulder unseen.............
                        Keep me apprised I'l love to read them!

Comment

Me too. I'd rather read your bio, but I'm sure the novels will be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                          X