Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Stride Was a Victim of JTR, What Would It Tell Us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Stride Was a Victim of JTR, What Would It Tell Us?

I believe that if the Ripper did indeed kill Elizabeth Stride, it gives us some clues as to his thought process. Let’s assume that Stride was killed by the Ripper. Most importantly I believe it would indicate that the killing in itself was not his goal, nor did it satisfy him. I think it would also indicate that he was not on his way home when, coming across Catherine Eddowes, he simply took advantage of the meeting; he was actively looking for another victim. It may also show that, either his confidence in his criminal ability was increasing, or his urge to mutilate was strong enough that it was controlling him.

Here’s one possibility: The Ripper is actively searching for a victim when he runs into Elizabeth Stride. The location isn’t the greatest. The building next to them is hosting some type of event. Perhaps the Ripper felt he had enough privacy. Did he try to persuade Stride to follow him to another location? Did Stride insist on servicing him on Berner Street? Regardless, the Ripper uses the same M.O. on Stride that had worked for him twice before: a blitz style attack that quickly renders the victim unable to call for help, most likely grabbing her by the throat and strangling her into unconsciousness.

Next, the Ripper slices Stride’s throat as he had done with Mary Ann Nichols and Annie Chapman. At this point the Ripper was probably worked up into a state of intense anticipation. He was going to once again live out his sexual fantasy. But as the Ripper is about to begin the mutilations, a possible witness approaches.

The Ripper is now in a hell of a jam. He’s about to being caught in the act, knife in hand. Miraculously, the Ripper makes his escape. A rational person at this point would probably thank his lucky stars and head for home as quickly as possible. But the Ripper is unable to do that. He is like a drug addict who was narrowly denied his fix. He had worked himself up into a near frenzy when he was interrupted. At this point the Ripper was probably extremely frustrated. And the only way he could get a release was finding another victim.

It’s quite possible that the Ripper headed in the direction of Mitre Square because he knew it was away from the swarm of police that would engulf Berner Street. And he knew that he could find a victim in the square. He knew he was hot and he could be caught at any moment but his urge to mutilate was too strong. The Ripper then meets Catherine Eddowes.

So, the evidence in favor of Stride as a Ripper victim:

Victimology the same as in the case of Nichols and Chapman. Stride, as the others, was an East End prostitute of the lowest class, 40ish, working the early morning hours. Clients were serviced in corridors, alleys, and other locations that allowed some sort of limited privacy.

Time and location matches other murders: same area of Whitechapel. Crime committed in early morning hours.

Same M.O.: Blitz style attack to render victim unable to cry for help. Throat cut with sharp knife, as before. No evidence of sexual assault. Crime was not intended as robbery.

And to summarize what Stride’s murder would tell us, if in fact she was killed by the Ripper:

Killing did not satisfy him nor was it his goal. The Ripper killed to facilitate the mutilations.

The Ripper’s urge to mutilate was so strong, he was willing to take tremendous risk in Mitre Square. The fact that he was almost caught didn’t scare him into retiring for the night. (This could also be used as an argument that the killer simply didn’t stop on his own after Kelly.)

The Ripper was not heading home when he ran into Eddowes. He was actively searching for another victim at the time. And he was aware enough to head in a direction away from Berner Street.

Hello Richard,

You really should read Darkest side of Evolution, Casebook Examiner no.5. Interesting little theory you have.

Corey
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hello, Richard.
      This all seems very plausible to me. I agree that it is likely that Stride was a Ripper victim and your reasoning regarding motivation etc. seems sound to me.

Just one small point though: maybe I've misunderstood your meaning but if you start at Berner Street, absolutely anywhere you go is in a direction away from Berner Street.

Best wishes,
      Steve.

Comment

Liz Stride's murder was the least well organised in terms of time and place. This suggests bad planning or a crime of opportunity to my mind. Either way, its suggests that JtR was not the smooth criminal he is sometimes portrayed as. Muddled thought and poor behavioural controls are consistent with an disorganised offender surely?.
        SCORPIO

Comment

I agree with Scorpio that Dutfield's Yard was a poor choice for a murder given the knees-up in progress at the IWMC.

We know that prostitutes were, and are, in the habit of leading potential clients to spots where interruption is unlikely and that this fact undoubtedly contributed to the demise of several of the victims. Could it be that Liz had turned Jack down (see James Brown's evidence) and, consumed with the need to kill and mutilate, Jack took matters into his own hands and forced her into the yard (see Israel Schwarz)? If this was the case, it means that it was Jack who chose the location and not Liz, who might have chosen a safer spot given the chance.

Best wishes,
          Steve.

Comment

Steve -I just want to point out that BS Man was see pulling Liz Stride AWAY from the yard, not into it.

Neighbours in Berner Street said that the yard was illfamed.

The yard was so dark that a member of the club, going into the yard for air, had to feel his way along the walls to get back inside.

Liz was behind the wooden gate to the yard with her client, and could not have been seen either from the street, nor by anyone looking out of the windows of the club.

The men in the club were singing and carousing after the debates, and could not have heard any low noise in the yard.

It would have been a difficult spot to mutilate a body -but not such a weird spot for a prostitute to be murdered.

Maybe the killer wanted to murder a woman next to that club expressly ? Or maybe he had just come from the pub next door (working, so last out) and it was opportunism ? Or a mixture of both ?
            http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

This reactionary theory is very plausable to me, i also believe that JtR had been drinking that night,as the attack was much earlier than usual, and that also may have attributed to poor anger management.
              SCORPIO

Comment

I believe he drank every night he went out looking.

Mike
                huh?

Comment

[quote=Rubyretro;163775]
                  Neighbours in Berner Street said that the yard was illfamed.

The yard was so dark that a member of the club, going into the yard for air, had to feel his way along the walls to get back inside.

Liz was behind the wooden gate to the yard with her client, and could not have been seen either from the street, nor by anyone looking out of the windows of the club.

The men in the club were singing and carousing after the debates, and could not have heard any low noise in the yard.

quote]

And yet, for all that, Diemschitz arrived didn't he?

Incidentally, where would club members have gone to relieve themselves?

Best wishes,
                  Steve.

Comment

Steven there was at least one waste pit and two privies in the back of the yard. One privy was even locked if I'm not mistaken, with no one in there.

Mike
                    huh?

Comment

Thanks, Mike. So on a busy night we could expect club members to be visiting the yard frequently making it a less than ideal place for a pro to take a client.

Best wishes,
                      Steve.

Comment

Russell,

Yes, but the privies were nowhere near the gate. They were at the farthest part from the gate and near the rooms where some members stayed. Also, at teh time of the murder there were only about 30 members left and they were all dancing and drinking and such. No one was in the yard.

Mike
                        huh?

Comment

In answer to the question asked in the heading of the thread:

It would tell us that the most logical solutions are not always the correct ones.

The best,
                          Fisherman

Comment

Point taken, Mike but next time you're in the pub with about thirty people, take note of how often someone visits the toilet (but don't make it too obvious). And yes, the yard was dark but unless I intended peeing against the wall, I would have taken a candle or something.

Best wishes,
                            Steve. (Or Russell if you prefer).

Comment

It could also be that the club members knew their way and didn't take candles out with them. I don't think it was customary to do that in those days?

And I don't want to be course, but a prostitute-client encounter would probably not take very long back then. I reckon (but don't pretend to know!) that it was more a matter of finding a dark corner, conduct business and on their way again. In Paul Begg's book, he literally says about the encounter between Pearly Poll and her soldier: business quickly concluded. So perhaps a dark corner with a ten minute window would do? Especially if you presume that no lights were taken out when the club members would relieve themselves.

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

Working...
                              X