Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is that linen so odd? *Graphic Warning*

Hey guys and gals,

When looking at this photograph again for the 9 millionth time, I noticed some oddities about the apparent linen on the table. It appears to be only partially blood stained first of all. Almost like body parts were on there at one point and removed. The linen also appears to have been cut by the looks of the fray marks I have highlighted. Cut to fit the table, wipe hands clean or something else?

What do you all make of it?

jerryd
    Attached Files

Hi,

This has been discussed before, (hasn't everything. ) although I'm not sure if the thread is still there, but the general consensus was that the darker areas you've highlighted there are the wood, and the lighter area is some kind of canvas or similar that was stuck onto the table to possibly cover large cracks or damage. (Very mundane suggestion, but probably banal enough to be the right answer. )

In the better quality shot, it's possible to see it lap over the edge of the table, and there appear to be frayed edges (as you mentioned) which you would expect from some kind of roughly cut strip. I don't think they reached any definite conclusion in the end, but that would seem to fit in quite well. I'll see if I can find the thread. It was an interesting discussion.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested the strips of linen were torn/cut up by her killer though, it's an interesting thought.

It might be worth seeing if there is a better copy of the photo on the boards so that we can get a better look at it and see what's what.

Hugs

Janie

xxxx
    I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Well, I've had a good look through and I can't find it, but at least I've tossed in a suggestion that someone made once to start the ball rolling.

Hugs

Janie

xxxx
      I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Hi Janie, long time no talk:

I tried to find the thread myself and could not. If I had been a little more detailed in my bad attempt at highlighting, you would also see frayed edges in the blood stained area as well. They are harder to see because they are stained and blend in more with the table. The areas I highlighted show up easily because they are not stained. That would mean that the "linen" extends from my left highlight to the right highlight and those would not be small strips of linen, but one large piece. Does that make sense? Almost like it was used to showcase a candle or some books. Decorative so to speak.

Thanks for your thoughts Janie.

jerryd

Comment

Blood does not "pool" like that. I would suggest it was simply a cheap, used table and the light areas on top are where veneer has flaked off.

Don.
          "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Thanks Don,

Doesn't blood spread on a linen type material? A small drop spreads to a much larger looking drop.

Comment

To me the brighter parts of the table top (the parts highlighted as 'no blood') just look like reflection of natural daylight, like it is shining on the pile of flesh.
              Best regards,
              Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

I see what you mean Uncle Jack, but what are the frayed ends connected to then?

Comment

Hi,

I think I go along with that Uncle Jack, it looks to me as if the shiny bits are just really aged and knackered wood. I do think that Don's idea might well be near the mark - at least on the left hand side of the table, by the dreaded bolster. (By the way if anyone brings up the bolster, I will clobber them. Lol)

McCarthy and the other slum landlords bought their furniture second hand from anywhere they could. They bought a lot from the smallpox hospital that was closed down and presumably demolished, and also from the other houses in the area that were being demolished to put up the new model dwellings.
                  The panelling at the back of Mary's bed almost certainly came from old demolished buildings in the area. It doesn't seem unlikely that the furniture in Mary's room was that sort of crap. Hence the peeling veneer and or repairs seems very likely.

Having said that, I can see what Jerry means about the section on the right hand side of the table under the entrails. Without seeing a better quality image, it's hard to tell what it is, but it could be a piece of cloth laid on that half of the table. Even if it is though, I don't really think that it has any nefarious purpose, it might just have already been there and her killer didn't even notice. I can't see any reason that he would put it there on purpose. The pile of entrails was far too big for him to think of moving them or taking them, and he would hardly need it to wipe his hands as there was ample cloth around.

I think that the answer might lie in a better quality image, so that we can see if there is anything draping over the edge of the table, or if it is just on the surface area. If there is cloth there, it doesn't go right to the end of the table, because if you look at the other photograph, it's clear that the table is bare. Not sure what to make of it really.

Much love

Janie

xxxx
                  Last edited by Jane Coram; 01-29-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

The 'linen' question

I'm starting to think this 'linen' is perhaps something more than that!
                    Here's an enhanced close up of the table and contents for you to decide.
                    Attached Files

Comment

There is certainly something there. A knapkin? or rolled newspaper maybe?.
                      SCORPIO

Comment

ok this is gonna bother me.

If you look at the pile of organs they are clearly pulling up a section of the light part. A part has come free of the table, and there are creases like a linen being dragged. However if it was cloth, it would be soaked in blood. So it isnt cloth. It isn't anything porous. Even looking at the blood part, it is clearly on a nonporous surface.

So what on earth is non porous that at least moves a little like cloth? That isn't plastic?
                        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Coram View Post
                          ...the dreaded bolster. (By the way if anyone brings up the bolster, I will clobber them. Lol)
                          Oh yes Janie, with the checkered pattern I'd say he's Crocodile Dundee!

Roy
                          Sink the Bismark

Comment

Jane,

By the way if anyone brings up the bolster, I will clobber them.

Please flesh out the statement to bolster your threat. LOL. And we still have not heard from that panel of "medical experts" we were promised--thank goodness.

Apologies to newcomers, but a bit of a joke for "brown shoe corps" posters.

Don.
                            "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

I think I know what the material on top of the table is, Ive seen my dad use it years ago to upholster chairs. Its a thick webbing material made of a type of sacking to support the chair bottom, tacked to the edges. Perhaps Marys table was cobbled together from an old chair seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X