Sleepng on the ropes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleepng on the ropes

Donīt know if this has been mentioned before, but I have seen several wrong interpretations of what this entailed and want to put the record straight.

Ropes were threaded throught blankets (both ends) and stretched across the room and fastened. Sleepers got what rest they could, hammock-style, and early the next morning one end of the ropes was untied, spilling the sleepers to the floor, thus preventing them from outstaying their welcome

Canīt put my hand on the reference just now - thought it was Dickens but canīt find it, will have to track it down in the library when I can get out next time.

My books are in storage, but in one of them there is a photo about 1900/10 of sleeping on the ropes in a working men's hostel,It was cheaper than a bed, they sat on benches leaning on the ropes.
    Miss Marple
    Last edited by miss marple; 01-18-2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

It was in People of the Abyss. I liken it to sleeping on an airplane for me, where I have to be so absolutely exhausted that I lean forward with my head pressed into the seatback and am able to pass out for an hour or two. I think a rope would be more comfortable.

Mike
      huh?

Comment

Sleeping on the ropes

Thanks Michael - now I know where to look, although that is one of the few Jack London books I havenīt read. Still trying to find a copy. Your remarks on sleeping on a plane reminded me of a conference my ex attended on board ship. There was of course a great deal of alchohol (scandinavian style) and one of the participants had passed out with his head on the table. Unfortunately the sea was rather rough, so that his chair slid away from the table every time the ship lurched to one side, allowing him to slip to the floor. The others got tired of picking him up and hit on the idea of anchoring him (and chair) to the table with his tie. Donīt know what shape he was in the next morning!

Hello Miss Marple! It would be interesting to see the photo - was it taken in the U.S. or England?

Comment

sleeping on the ropes

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
          Thanks Michael - now I know where to look, although that is one of the few Jack London books I havenīt read. Still trying to find a copy. Your remarks on sleeping on a plane reminded me of a conference my ex attended on board ship. There was of course a great deal of alchohol (scandinavian style) and one of the participants had passed out with his head on the table. Unfortunately the sea was rather rough, so that his chair slid away from the table every time the ship lurched to one side, allowing him to slip to the floor. The others got tired of picking him up and hit on the idea of anchoring him (and chair) to the table with his tie. Donīt know what shape he was in the next morning!

Hello Miss Marple! It would be interesting to see the photo - was it taken in the U.S. or England?
          There is a reference also in the press reports section from the Syracuse Standard of August 4, 1888 (I believe) that mentions a double bed cost 6d, a single 4d and sleeping on the rope 2d and describes how it was accomplished. I will have to go in and check further to besure I'm quoting properly but I saw it yesterday evening whilst researching for the novel and the particulars are still fresh in my mind. Kindest regards,
          Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Oops!

Originally posted by YankeeSergeant View Post
            There is a reference also in the press reports section from the Syracuse Standard of August 4, 1888 (I believe) that mentions a double bed cost 6d, a single 4d and sleeping on the rope 2d and describes how it was accomplished. I will have to go in and check further to besure I'm quoting properly but I saw it yesterday evening whilst researching for the novel and the particulars are still fresh in my mind. Kindest regards,
            I misquoted above and offer my abject apologies. I do remember reading the above yesterday but will be stymied if I can remember where now.
            Last edited by YankeeSergeant; 01-23-2011, 04:11 PM. Reason: Spelling errors.
            Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

CURIOUS 4.
              The photo I am referring to is in a book about London,[ i have lots] It may be in People of the Abyess, but i don't have a copy [ i wish]. The photo is in a hostel in Blackfriars London about 1910. I will check out my books this week and if i find it try and get it scanned.
              If the photo Is in the Jack London book can someone post it ?
              Miss Marple

Comment

Thanks Miss Marple,

Have just ordered "People of the Abyss" at long last so if there is a photo will let you know! If your photo was from 1910, perhaps weīre both right - they could have run out of blankets.

Comment

Curous4:

"There was of course a great deal of alchohol (scandinavian style)"

Ehrm ...?

Fisherman
                  Perfectly sober Scandinavian - well, most of the time anyhow ...

Comment

Put 'sleeping on the rope' into Google Images- there's some good ones there - also Wiki 'four-penny coffin'
                    Suz
                    Last edited by Suzi; 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM.
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

On the ropes (scandinavian style)

Hello Fisherman,

Letīs just blame the Finns, shall we? My ex always did. No, sorry Finns - most of them were from Gothenburg.

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                        My books are in storage, but in one of them there is a photo about 1900/10 of sleeping on the ropes in a working men's hostel,It was cheaper than a bed, they sat on benches leaning on the ropes.
                        Miss Marple
                        I saw this illustrated in Alan Moore's "From Hell: being a melodrama in sixteen parts" when he does a nearly wordless sequence contrasting Sir William Gull's daily life with that of one of the Ripper's victims.
                        Moore did a very good job in the appendices of referencing his sources, and I believe he mentions where his artist got the reference for the illustration in the graphic novel.

Pat D.
                        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                        ---------------
                        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                        ---------------

Comment

Working...
                        X