Jack the Ripper - British Intelligence Agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper - British Intelligence Agent

Hi there. Just noticed a book named Jack the Ripper - British Intelligence Agent on Amazon and it doesn't give any description of what it is about so was wondering if anyone can recommend it or warn against it? Is it worth buying?

Cheers!
    Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Can't help you, Uncle. It's sitting on my as-yet-unread bookshelf but, since it's 367 pages long, it will take me a while to get around to it. Right now, I'm about 3/4 through Ian Porter's Whitechapel. I never thought I would fall so far behind in my JtR-related reading.

Comment

Uncle Jack,

Just noticed a book named Jack the Ripper - British Intelligence Agent . . . Is it worth buying?

Just one more reason (and there are many) that folks should subscribe to Casebook Examiner. This book was reviewed in our October issue by Tom Wescott. Whether you should buy it or not depends on many things, but our reviewer gave it one star (out of five), noting that the author posits that Mary Jane Kelly and the other victims were either Fenian agents or couriers for the Berner Street anarchists (the two groups briefly working in concert) and that Jack was . . . well you would best be advised to wait until a local library has a copy or it appears in the remainder bin.

Don Souden,
      Editor.
      "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

the author posits that Mary Jane Kelly and the other victims were either Fenian agents or couriers for the Berner Street anarchists
        That one single line had catorgorically made up my mind for me. The book sounds awful. Thanks Don, the best.
        Best regards,
        Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Quote:
          the author posits that Mary Jane Kelly and the other victims were either Fenian agents or couriers for the Berner Street anarchists

Priceless. Just priceless.

Originally posted by Supe View Post
          Just one more reason (and there are many) that folks should subscribe to Casebook Examiner.
          Don Souden,
          Editor.
          Damn straight.
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

Liverpool author Tom Slemen, co-author of this book along with Keith Andrews, is best known for writing a series of books on Merseyside ghosts and supernatural phenomena. His case for Colonel Claude Reignier Conder having been Jack the Ripper is poorly made and mostly rests on the fact that Sir Charles Warren and Conder were colleagues who worked together as archaeologists investigating the Great Temple in Jerusalem. Slemen's contention that Catherine Eddowes' facial mutilations were Sumerian symbols is ludicrous. As we noted in the review of the book in Ripperologist, "Sadly Jack the Ripper: British Intelligence Agent? is the damp squib one thought it would be. It’s a moderately enjoyable read, but it isn’t serious history."

Chris
            Christopher T. George
            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hello Chris, Don,

Well two reviews, both with a bad rating. Telling me not to waste my money .
              Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                Quote:

Priceless. Just priceless.
                And there was I, thinking this was also the 'new black' of message board Ripperology.

Or should that be ******ology in these politically correct WM times?

Can we not get over the fact that all these women, not just poor little Eddowes, were killed for being "Nothing" to whichever creep killed them?

Love,

Caz
                X
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                X