End of the World to Begin May 21, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the World to Begin May 21, 2011

There is a movement of Christians loosely organized by radio broadcasts and websites, independent of churches who are convinced by their reading of the Bible that the end of the world will begin on May 21, 2011.

To get the word out, they're using billboards and bus stop benches, traveling caravans of RVs and volunteers passing out pamphlets on street corners. Cities from Bridgeport, Conn., to Little Rock, Ark., now have billboards with the ominous message, and mission groups are traveling in countries from Latin America to Africa to spread the news outside the U.S.

Oakland, Calif.-based Family Radio Worldwide, the independent Christian ministry whose leader, Harold Camping, has calculated the May 21 date based on his reading of the Bible.

Camping, 89, believes the Bible essentially functions as a cosmic calendar explaining exactly when various prophecies will be fulfilled.

"Beyond the shadow of a doubt, May 21 will be the date of the Rapture and the day of judgment," he said.

c.d.

A month AFTER you have to pay your taxes? Son of a bitch!!!

c.d.

Comment

Please, oh please ancient, fictional, superhero,start in kansas! Dave
      We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Is it 21st May for everyone? If so, then we can get a rough idea of the time of the day, because the Aussies etc start 21st before the UK and the US starts it even later. So we're looking for some point in time where it's 21st May for everyone.

Comment

I am so throwing an End of the World party for May 20th. Actually I'll go ahead and wait til the 21st and the world is cleared of all the fuddy duddies. That'll be a parrr-TAY.

Let all Oz be agreed;
          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Yeah figures, my birthday is 22nd May - me thinks I will have to bring it forward this year, or have 2 like the Queen

Tracy
            It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

That's fine! As long as it is after the Royal Wedding all will be well!
              In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

What I find so amazing is that these people who consider themselves Bible scholars apparently missed the passage in the New Testament where Jesus says that only the Father knows when this will happen.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  Is it 21st May for everyone? If so, then we can get a rough idea of the time of the day, because the Aussies etc start 21st before the UK and the US starts it even later. So we're looking for some point in time where it's 21st May for everyone.
                  That's right. Here in the U.S. we will be watching closely. If you guys get it then we will repent on the spot and be saved. Pretty sweet, eh?

c.d.

Comment

Worlds end all the time - big deal. Some world somewhere ends every day so the prediction can't miss.
                    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I'm sure when it doesn't happen there'll be a plan B just like with nostradamus in 1999,soon got forgotten about to be replaced by 2012.
                      You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Believe it when it happens

I'll believe it when it happens. It'll irritate me if it does happen right after I finish my BA. The millerites preicted it for two separate dates in 1844. Nostradamus, saint ophelia who else? It amazes me how many people fall into that sinkhole. Neil
                        Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Whats this now?
                          I thought it was supposed to happen in 2012,based on the Mayan Calendar or something?
                          Whatever,either way I'm beginning to think that 5 year diary I bought myself in January was a bit of a waste of money.
                          All the best.

Comment

I'm not sensing a lot of piety amongst the respondees! Excellent, I love it when some group of loonies decide that the world will end... and then it doesn't. There is a lot of awkwardness, some shuffling of feet and some clearing of throats, and then everything continues, usually with the "I miscalculated by a year or two" excuse rolled out whenever appropiate. Roll on 22 May, business as usual!

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                              What I find so amazing is that these people who consider themselves Bible scholars apparently missed the passage in the New Testament where Jesus says that only the Father knows when this will happen.

c.d.
                              That's because back in biblical time only The Father knew the fancy math. But we have way better calculators now.

Does anyone know when the rapture is going to end? Cause if it's going to take awhile I'll spend it picking out stuff for my spot in the Hall Closet of Hell.
                              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X