• Show
Clear All

• A Fool of a Doctor

Greetings all,

Notice the following article:

Te Aroha News, 12 January, 1889.
    The Whitechapel Atrocities.

London, November 16.

The state of excitement into which the East End was thrown by the seventh mysterious murder in Whitechapel…
    …One amateur detective, a fool of a doctor in a painfully obvious disguise, narrowly escaped being torn to pieces. He had been poking about the scene of the murder for some time asking curious questions and attracting a good deal of suspicion by his theatrically blacked face, when a woman shrilly shouted, “That’s him, that’s Jack the Ripper,” In an instant the crowd fell upon the unfortunate fellow like furies. The police tried vainly to protect him, and it was in a half-killed condition a post of 20 constables eventually got him to the nearest police station…

I put this on the Tumblety thread, because it certainly sounds like him especially considering the date. Also, how many other doctors would do this? Interestingly, this person darkened his face. If it was Tumblety, recall he stated that he, "dressed as to not draw attention to himself". Only Tumblety would think this disguise would not draw attention.

Sincerely,

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
    Greetings all,

Notice the following article:

Te Aroha News, 12 January, 1889.
    The Whitechapel Atrocities.

London, November 16.

The state of excitement into which the East End was thrown by the seventh mysterious murder in Whitechapel…
    …One amateur detective, a fool of a doctor in a painfully obvious disguise, narrowly escaped being torn to pieces. He had been poking about the scene of the murder for some time asking curious questions and attracting a good deal of suspicion by his theatrically blacked face, when a woman shrilly shouted, “That’s him, that’s Jack the Ripper,” In an instant the crowd fell upon the unfortunate fellow like furies. The police tried vainly to protect him, and it was in a half-killed condition a post of 20 constables eventually got him to the nearest police station…

I put this on the Tumblety thread, because it certainly sounds like him especially considering the date. Also, how many other doctors would do this? Interestingly, this person darkened his face. If it was Tumblety, recall he stated that he, "dressed as to not draw attention to himself". Only Tumblety would think this disguise would not draw attention.

Sincerely,

Mike
    Hi Mike
    Not Dr T. This was a certain (not very bright)Dr-i forgot his name-who was trying to catch JtR by disguising himself which included black face. Someone else will surely provide his name.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi Abby Normal,

I did find this. Maybe it was him.

The Star, November 16, 1888.

...Because Wolff Leviohne, a Polish Jew, who went to Whitechapel on business, refused the solicitations of two women named Johnson and De Grasse, they shouted out, "You are Jack the Ripper," and drew an excited crowd about him. He had to take refuge in the Commercial-street Police-station the people became so threatening. The women were brought before the Worship-street magistrate to-day. They said they only remarked to Leviohne that he "looked like Jack the Ripper," as he had a shining bag. - Mr. Bushby said the public must be protected from this kind of molestation, and he fined the prisoners 20s. each. In default they were committed for 14 days.

Mike

Comment

I can't help but think of those two idiots who tried to rob a bank. Lacking masks, they decided to draw black masks on their faces with an indelible magic marker. Needless to say they were caught.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
          I can't help but think of those two idiots who tried to rob a bank. Lacking masks, they decided to draw black masks on their faces with an indelible magic marker. Needless to say they were caught.

c.d.
          Dr. Holt's face covered with burnt cork must have been a sight. Thanks everyone.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X