Jeremy Beadle suspects???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeremy Beadle suspects???

Anyone know who Jeremy Beadle suspected???
    I know he was well read on the subject, can anyone recommend any good books he may have written?
    darren

Jeremy Beadle appeared on an entertaining TV show some years ago called something like The Trial of Jack the Ripper. Several suspects were looked at and Beadle was in charge of the case against Maybrick. The studio audience found his argument the most convincing and voted for Maybrick as the Ripper at the end of the show. Interestingly, Ripperana magazine suggested that Beadle himself might have written the Maybrick diary although this accusation was not made until after the celebrity's death.

Best wishes,
    Steve.

Comment

Once upon a time, Nick Warren had credibility. I guess he got tired of it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I was going to say that I thought he suspected W.H. Bury, but then remembered that it was actually William Beadle...

FTC, we also have the Jeremy Beadle Award in Ripperology now as well, named in his memory.

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

Unless he was humoring me, and Jeremy didn't strike me as the type to do so, he was still a Maybrickian as of the Wolverhampton Conference.

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
          Interestingly, Ripperana magazine suggested that Beadle himself might have written the Maybrick diary although this accusation was not made until after the celebrity's death.
          I was actually quite disappointed to see that this theory/assertion made it into the A-Z.
          Managing Editor
          Casebook Wiki

Comment

Oh I don't know, Sir Robert.

I can't see the harm in showing up an a-hole for what it is.

Love,

Contentious Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I missed that particular kerfuffle.

Did anyone seriously believe that Jeremy forged the Diary?
              “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Jeremy Beadle appeared on an entertaining TV show some years ago called something like The Trial of Jack the Ripper. Several suspects were looked at and Beadle was in charge of the case against Maybrick. The studio audience found his argument the most convincing and voted for Maybrick as the Ripper at the end of the show. Interestingly, Ripperana magazine suggested that Beadle himself might have written the Maybrick diary although this accusation was not made until after the celebrity's death.

Best wishes,
                Steve.
                Unlikely I would have thought but if true it would be Jeremy's ultimate practical joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimsid2000 View Post
                  Unlikely I would have thought but if true it would be Jeremy's ultimate practical joke.
                  Not quite, surely the ultimate episode of Beadle's About would feature him time travelling back to be JTR himself, in the style of the Not the Nine O Clock News pastiche of his works. Well, I say "ultimate", it would be tied with the time he made that car vanish on a cross channel ferry...

I appologise if that pun was in bad taste, it was not intended to be. Being fairly new to Ripperology outside of Mr Fidos audio lecture on the subject scaring me witless on a paper round a few decades ago (it was on a cassette tape from Woolworths, both of which are now obsolete it seems) I had no idea Mr Beadle had such a vested interest in the mystery.
                  There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Hi TomTom,

One former Woolworths near me is now a bargain store calling itself Smallworths. A bit like Warren's diary theories, except they are of no worth at all.

Crime related mysteries were just one of Jeremy Beadle's many and varied interests. As far as I know he didn't have a 'vested' interest (as in financial or personal) in Jack the Ripper. And of course he did raise a hundred million pounds for charity during his long showbiz career.

Beadle was always great value, while Warren cuts a very small figure indeed.

Love,

Caz
                    X

Comment

Best wishes,
                      Steve.
                      It's a pity that Warren didn't put his suggestion directly to Beadle when they were in the green room together for the recording of The Trial.

Now that would have been good value, win-win entertainment. Beadle would have been too busy laughing for Warren to lose any teeth.

Love,

Caz
                      X

Comment

Hi,
                        It would seem that a few people have a beef with Nick Warren, what exactly has he done for people to turn on him?
                        I have over the years enjoyed some of his work on the subject of JTR.
                        And I feel sure that Mr Beadle wouldnt of taken any offence to being linked to the Maybrick Diary, in fact I feel sure he would have a smile about it.
                        I did notice some years back his name appear in the acknowledgement section at the beggining of JTR The Final Chapter, it would seem he had made suggestions to the author about the book, and so had some intrest in the Maybrick angle of the case.

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                          I did notice some years back his name appear in the acknowledgement section at the beggining of JTR The Final Chapter, it would seem he had made suggestions to the author about the book, and so had some intrest in the Maybrick angle of the case.
                          Absolutely. Jeremy believed Maybrick to be the Ripper.
                          Managing Editor
                          Casebook Wiki

Comment

So has "Trial" ever been released on DVD? If not maybe we should start a petition for the Podcast to do a "Trial of..." Special, where guests have a set time to do their "Case", and we all vote for a straw poll on here after the 'cast. No prizes (and probably little worth) but might be fun to get an idea of where the buffs are leaning these days.

Or maybe it is a bad idea I shouldn't have mentioned as I have no idea of the logistics of podcasting and am a completely casual buff. Sorry about that...
                            There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                              And I feel sure that Mr Beadle wouldnt of taken any offence to being linked to the Maybrick Diary, in fact I feel sure he would have a smile about it.
                              So, spyglass, what part of:

Originally posted by caz View Post
                              It's a pity that Warren didn't put his suggestion directly to Beadle... Beadle would have been too busy laughing for Warren to lose any teeth.
                              ...did you not grasp?

Love,

Caz
                              X

Comment

Working...
                              X