Abberline's Wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abberline's Wife

Not sure if anyone has asked this before but Inspector Abberline had a wife and as many of us who are married know sometimes the wife knows more than anyone else. Even in those times, the wife most often knew more about the goings on of the household including the husband's work. Has anyone ever looked into what she knew, a diary perhaps, anything at all? Did she have an idea as to her thoughts on who the Ripper was?

Abberline's wife.

Hi,

As nobody else has replied, I thought I may as well to perhaps get the ball rolling?

This seems a fair point and to be honest, one that I had never considered before. It was FGA's second marriage and they were married for many years until he died. By all accounts they were very close and contented, so it is perfectly possible that at some moment he took her into his confidence and told her what he may, or may not, have known about the case.

In victorian times men definitely "ruled the roost" (sorry ladies!) and it was most definitely a mans world. But although many men ruled their families with a rod of iron, many didn't and confided in their wives. I can't imagine the gentle-natured former clockmaker being anything other than the latter.

All these years we have been wondering if there is a document of Abberline's which gives us a clue. It may actually be contained in his wife's diary.

"10th December 1929. My dear Frederick passed away today. Before he did he told me the most astonishing piece of information........."
    If I have seen further it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

Yep ,may even find her watch with a few initials here and there
      You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Ho Ho!

Just so long as it's not an old photograph album with the first sixty pages ripped out!
        If I have seen further it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

Originally posted by Tecs View Post
          Hi,

As nobody else has replied, I thought I may as well to perhaps get the ball rolling?

This seems a fair point and to be honest, one that I had never considered before. It was FGA's second marriage and they were married for many years until he died. By all accounts they were very close and contented, so it is perfectly possible that at some moment he took her into his confidence and told her what he may, or may not, have known about the case.

In victorian times men definitely "ruled the roost" (sorry ladies!) and it was most definitely a mans world. But although many men ruled their families with a rod of iron, many didn't and confided in their wives. I can't imagine the gentle-natured former clockmaker being anything other than the latter.

All these years we have been wondering if there is a document of Abberline's which gives us a clue. It may actually be contained in his wife's diary.

"10th December 1929. My dear Frederick passed away today. Before he did he told me the most astonishing piece of information........."
          I agree!

Comment

Hi,

It is an interesting thought. But considering that Abberline went on record to the press to say that he thought that Chapman was the killer, that is presumably all that his wife would be able to tell us.

Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
            X