The Ghost of.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ghost of.....

Hello, and i apologize if this has been posted before. For those that believe and don't believe in ghosts have there ever been any sightings of ghosts in the area of the murders or anywhere? For instance, where Mary Kelly was murdered and stayed are a series of newer buildings and such today, have there been any sightings of her there at her murder site or even grave? Any of the others, have there been any sightings of their ghosts anywhere?

Hi Clark,

In Jack the Ripper - One Hundred Years of Mystery, Peter Underwood mentions a ghost sighting in Hanbury Street. The witness (who happens to go by the name of Chapman) saw a ghostly couple enter the premises of #29 for several years (in the 1950s or 60s, if I remember correctly). This always happened during the morning hours in the fall and the couple (a stooping woman and a man who helped her enter the passage) always seemed to do the same things.

Regards,

Boris
    Last edited by bolo; 08-20-2010, 11:16 AM.
    ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

I think a good ghost story concerning the Ripper and his victims would make for a pretty good movie
      I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Hello JR,

I really love the fact that the Jack the Ripper crime scenes may be haunted. I love good ghost storys and this is what all ghost hunters say bring about hauntings. That a tramatic event happened. I belive tramatic is a soft word for it.

However, the idea of a residual haunting on the property that once stood 29 Hanbary st. would be truly magnifigant.
        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi all,

I've read that Millers Court was believed to be hunted when MJK's house was still standing. And during some Ripper walks it is suggested that Mitre Square is hunted too.

It is claimed for a lot of murder sites that they are hunted (take Tower Green for one). Personally I believe it is people's imagination because they know what happened at those places and when you are out there at night it is an eerie thought I imagine if you remember what happened there all those years ago. No offence to people who do believe in ghosts by the way!

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

Hello Addy,

Originally posted by Addy View Post
            And during some Ripper walks it is suggested that Mitre Square is hunted too.
            A french gentleman whose name eludes me at the moment allegedly saw the ghost of Mary Kelly on Mitre Square (!) while he was filming a documentary. He caught the event on film and offered to watch said footage for a small fee on his website. Needless to say the short film clip wasn't all that convincing.

Ah well, couldn't say that I'm a believer in ghosts, I simply try to keep an open mind about the paranormal, despite the fact that there are a lot of charlatans out there who try to make a quick buck with it.

Then again, who knows, perhaps Hamlet was right: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."...

Regards,

Boris
            Last edited by bolo; 08-21-2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Then again, who knows, perhaps Hamlet was right: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."...

There are load of videos on Youtube purporting to show the 'spontaneous' ghosts of Kurt Cobain, Elvis etc, when 'innocently' filming their homes..

It's just down to c**p filming.

I don't believe in ghosts (living in Europe and knowing people of different
              nationalities, how can one explain that ghosts are only ever seen by people from countries/regions where 'ghosts' are part of the cultural tradition ?).

And yet..and yet... my Grand-ma (the most unimaginative and down to earth,
              practical, woman), swore that she saw a victorian gentleman cross her garden in Marsh baldon, Oxfordshire, in broad sunlight, in the afternoon, whose glittering polished brass buttons glinted in the sunlight...she said that she found later that there had been a footpath leading through her garden to the local church, and that her dog's hackles had arisen as the 'phantom' passed..

I don't believe in ghosts for every logical reason..but a small doubt persists..

(and viz à viz witness statements like Caroline Maxwells..because I have read others purporting to see a murder victim, after the official point of death, which are difficult to explain..).

I'll go with Hamlet.
              http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

I have taken a great interest in hauntings around the murder sites and connected locations and from the top of my head, these are some that may be of interest to you......

The ghost of Mary Ann Nichols has been seen on Durward Street, apparently she glows.

The brewery that is built on the sight of Annie Chapman's murder was/is haunted by a woman in victorian clothing and it is believed to be Annie Chapman. Some people report hearing the sounds of the murder also.

Mitre Square is haunted by the residual playback of Catherine's corpse, which has been seen around the area where she was murdered. A monk also haunts the square.

Not sure if the scene of Mary Kelly's murder is haunted now but supposedly the people who lived in her room afterwards (and before it was demolished) claimed it was haunted so if those stories are true, chances are that the area still habits the ghosts.

Also a guy (can't remember his name) claims the ghost of Mary Kelly follows him around when he visits Whitechapel. It is also believed by some that if you visit Kelly's grave that you feel her presence.

Other hauntings and ghost sightings that are Ripper connected are the supposed ghost who is seen jumping of Westminster Bridge. Some specualte that the ghost is Druitt.

The board school on Durward Street (right next to the Nichols murder scene) is haunted by the ghost of a hanging boy.

The London Hospital is haunted by a grey lady

A lot of the Ripper-related pubs are haunted including the Ten Bells, the Blind Beggar and the Commercial Tavern.

88 Newark Street, Whitechapel, was the scene of an infamous poltergeist outbreak.

Close by to Mitre Square is the Wood Street Compter (a type of prison which was demolished) but the cellars remain and are haunted by something invisable that pushes people and whispers.

This is a lot of what I know so hope that all helps Clark.
                Last edited by Uncle Jack; 09-16-2010, 01:09 AM.
                Best regards,
                Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Don't know about these sightings but i did see the 'most haunted' jtr special a few years ago.Derek Acorah went off on a James Maybrick trip at the end.It was quite funny really.I think he was dropped from the program after that
                  You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Again, personally I feel it is more the idea of what has happened in that spot and fantasy running wild, than real hauntings. And ofcourse there are people who like the attention or try to lure people to places where they have to pay to hear about ghosts running around.

I hope the victims of JtR have more peace than that. Imagine being murdered in such a way and then having to hang around that particular spot forever.

One thing I do wonder: why aren't there more stories about Ripper ghosts than the guy jumping off the bridge? If anyone would be haunting Whitechapel you would think it was him.

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

I watch "Ghosthunters" on TV. They are always explaining the difference between a residual haunting and an intelligent haunting. Residual hauntings are just leftover energy from some event that plays itself out over and over again like a tape. An intelligent haunting is the actual spirit of a person and it is possible to communicate with them.

So sayeth the Ghosthunters. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

c.d.

Comment

How come we don't have any ghosts that I've ever heard about in Avignon -nor anywhere else in Provence, that I know of ? Including the Pope's Palace.

I once was fascinated by this question and asked everybody I knew for Ghost Stories, everywhere I went :

Loads of stories in the UK, Brittany, the Massif Centrale, Thailand..none in Provence, Portugal, Spain (or if they are, only cited by Brits).

Conclusion : Ghosts only exist in cultures where people are brought up to believe in them. Funny that.
                        http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Hi Ruby,

I think you've got a point there. It's the same over here, the number of ghost sightings and haunted places is near zero, except for some parts of rural Frankonia around my hometown Nuremberg with an orthodox Catholic and traditionally superstitious population.

Maybe that is the reason why every other pub in England supposedly is haunted, the owners know about the popularity of ghost stories over there and try to cash in on it. Over here, you'd be hard-pressed to sell a single pint of beer with a ghost story, people would laugh you out of your own pub.

Regards,

Boris

Comment

Per the Ghosthunters - Proximity to water and limestone can spur paranormal activity. I have also read that on the internet.

c.d.

Comment

I can tell you the people who work in the brewery where Hanbury Lane once was might have thought they saw Annie Chapman after testing out one too many of their products

Comment

Working...
                              X